Coolant change (2013 or newer)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll just throw in...... buy an extended life coolant which should have a life of 5 years, change it at a valve check. I personally don't like to leave coolant in the full 5, but valve check happens before that anyway (or should). Whether I'm right or not who knows, but I say away from Honda or Yama coolant thinking possibly they bought a two year coolant from their suppliers...... I also stay away from any coolant that claims you'll never change it again.

Switching gears a bit, there is a method for checking your coolant (amount of electrolysis/acidity that has taken place) with a voltmeter....... negative to neg battery, positive into the coolant, 0.4V or higher=change it. You'll get several results in Google about that.

I planned to do a coolant change, but had problems removing the panel over the radiator cap. I removed all of the fasteners and pried the panel loose all but at the end at the large front panel. Being afraid of breaking the end off of the panel I gave up. Do you think the large front panel must be removed to get the panel out. Hopefully one of youse guys has done a coolant flush on your newer FJR..
Being on topic and seeing as you haven't posted your success. There is another screw on the front end of the right-side trim panel (C, below) that can only be accessed after removing the center trim panel. This isn't reflected in post #15. I believe it's the same for the left, but I haven't taken that side off yet.

2013+FJR1300+right+side+cowling+inner+panel+modification.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I planned to do a coolant change, but had problems removing the panel over the radiator cap. I removed all of the fasteners and pried the panel loose all but at the end at the large front panel. Being afraid of breaking the end off of the panel I gave up. Do you think the large front panel must be removed to get the panel out. Hopefully one of youse guys has done a coolant flush on your newer FJR..
Being on topic and seeing as you haven't posted your success. There is another screw on the front end of the right-side trim panel (C, below) that can only be accessed after removing the center trim panel. This isn't reflected in post #15. I believe it's the same for the left, but I haven't taken that side off yet.

2013+FJR1300+right+side+cowling+inner+panel+modification.jpg
Sath thanks for the information. I guess I will pull the front panel for the third time and see if the left panel can be modified to come out like the right panel after modification.

Thanks for all of the happy birthday wishes. I was thinking only family and close friends cared. Of course I had to bring it up.
rolleyes.gif

What color is that baby, Fred?
Red of course. They repeat the colors every 18,900 years.
I figured it'd be red too. After a couple more failures, I expect they'll all be red from now on.

Congrats Jer on a 75th Birthday, If more people said what they feel this place might get to be more entertaining, at least more than it is already.
smile.png
like it, you know, used to be.
And Jer, don't take it all so serious, and you'll probably live to be 76! :lol: And happy birthday, to you and mcatrophy both.

What color is that baby, Fred?
Red of course. They repeat the colors every 18,900 years.

And Jer, don't take it all so serious, and you'll probably live to be 76!
laugh.png
And happy birthday, to you and mcatrophy both.
I thought it was all light hearted unless you are planning on killing me before I reach 76.
weirdsmiley.gif
A guy can't say anything anymore without getting death threats. What is this world coming to?

Change the coolant every two years, it's not rocket science, just do it and be happy! Or, don't bother, run the bike as long as you like with minimal maintenance and sell it on to some poor guy who will end up paying the price for your piss poor attitude to servicing, depends on how long you intend to keep the bike. Your choice. Ignore all the recommended service intervals and eventually even an fjr will fall apart, looked after, and it will go forever. Just saying.
Hey Snudge are you telling me I do not maintain my machine. I don't feel asking for an easy method of getting to the radiator cap is a piss poor attitude. You are the type I was referring to.

Jer, I told you how to get to the cap in post #14.

Not sure if it's that much different, but for my Gen II, I just loosened up what I could and was able to pull the panel back enough to get the cap off - doesn't have to come all the way past it, just enough to get your fingers on it. Then there's enough room to get a funnel in to fill it again.

I have never removed the panels on either my past 07 or my current 14 to do a coolant change. Just remove the fasteners and pull the side panel out enough to remove the radiator cap. You can get a funnel to the fill opening with no trouble.
Thank you very much Art. I had it loose, but thought I would have to get pliars in there to turn the cap so I put the panel back with the idea of pulling the front panel off. I will try that again and see if I can get a hand on it. I believe you have to press down on the cap to get it loose.

Not sure if it's that much different, but for my Gen II, I just loosened up what I could and was able to pull the panel back enough to get the cap off - doesn't have to come all the way past it, just enough to get your fingers on it. Then there's enough room to get a funnel in to fill it again.

I have never removed the panels on either my past 07 or my current 14 to do a coolant change. Just remove the fasteners and pull the side panel out enough to remove the radiator cap. You can get a funnel to the fill opening with no trouble.
Thank you very much Art. I had it loose, but thought I would have to get pliars in there to turn the cap so I put the panel back with the idea of pulling the front panel off. I will try that again and see if I can get a hand on it. I believe you have to press down on the cap to get it loose.

Happy Birthday Jer. I am just one year behind you. Been to Salem many times. We own a couple apartment buildings in Salem. Nice town.

Back on coolant topic, you do not have to press down on the cap to remove it. If you pull the panel out and prop it open with a stick or whatever you choose you can get a hand on the cap. Give it a good tug and it will come off. Don't do it if the engine is hot!!!!!