Corbin Smuggler Rain Proof--NOT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I went to the Honda Hoot this Summer Corbin had a display with various bikes that had the smuggler attached. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the lid and hinge system on them. I thought it seemed flimsy. Other than that the smuggler looks good and the rest of it seems solid. The color match seemed good also.

I would expect a little better lid on something you're paying that kind of money for though. It had a somewhat homemade look to it.

I just did the high pressure hose test on the Smuggler.Going all around the cover 3" away from the seam for 2 minutes.

Result: It's all wet inside with a puddle at the bottom.

crybaby150.jpg

BTW, also rode thru a Florida Torrential downpour on I-4 a couple weeks ago.

Most of the bikers took shelter under bridges - I kept going.

Result: 1/2 teaspoon of water on the bottom.

Everything else: Soaked

It's still a keeper! :clapping:

Tip: Zip-lock bags

SilverStreak,

You're obviously Corbin's IDEAL customer considering all the quality control issues I've read in other posts since Fri. I guess it wouldn't bother you if your FJR's hardbags/glove box also leaked like your Smuggler???

Geez, I could have bought Yamaha's OEM trunk for less which would be rain proof just like the side bags and even the little glove box!!! If Corbin cannot make a replacement that is rain proof they can keep it and I'll buy the OEM trunk because I REFUSE to have to put items in zip lock bags to keep them safe and dry.

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
FJRod, I totally agree... it's unacceptable if the smuggler isn't waterproof. If it isn't then Corbin needs to redesign it so that it is.

Where does Corbin claim the Smuggler is waterproof?

11.5+ liter storage area. Smuggler comes fully lined to help protect your cargo and cushion some of the road noise. Naturally, the door opening is fully weather stripped to guard against foul weather as well. Locking door keeps things secure and simple to access. Our new stainless steel hinge mechanism allows the door to open very wide to keep it out of the way when stowing your gear.

Corbin Smuggler comes fully lined with a nice, thick grey liner on the inside to protect your cargo. Sure seal weather stripping around the doors keeps out the elements. Locking door keeps contents secure.
Nice examples of bullshit "marketspeak", but no claim to be "waterproof".

Sounds like those with dry and tight Smugglers are just plain lucky.

I am working through an 06 Smuggler leaking issue also. Riding in only moderate rain I had water in the bottom corners of the Smuggler, everything was wet, ruined some AA batteries for my MP3, and almost ruined the cellphone which was actually laying on top. I tested it also with everything removed while washing the bike with low-pressure hose and not trying to direct it on the Smuggler and I had water puddling in both of the low spots in the front. E-mailed Corbin and they sent me a new gasket which I will be installing, but I don't think that it will help. The lid just does not fit well. After trying the new gasket, I'll contact them if it still leaks. I carry too much stuff that can't get wet and after paying this much money water in the Smuggler would be unaceptable.

They probably don't use those words... but it still should be, given the amount of jack they're charging for it. Heck, if Yammy can make a glove compartment and sidecases that are waterproof, one would think it wouldn't be a stretch for Corbin to do likewise. I wouldn't buy a smuggler until they did.

They probably don't use those words... but it still should be, given the amount of jack they're charging for it. Heck, if Yammy can make a glove compartment and sidecases that are waterproof, one would think it wouldn't be a stretch for Corbin to do likewise. I wouldn't buy a smuggler until they did.

I agree with you that "given the amount they're charging..." it should be waterproof, but nowhere on their site do they make that specific claim. And even the $2000 Seiko diver's watch I'm wearing, allegedly "water resistant" to 1500 meters (like ANYONE could dive that deep!) still says "water resistant", not "waterproof". Like I said ealier, MarketSpeak Bullshit.

They DO use language impying such, but it's vague enough to get past any legal claim.

11.5+ liter storage area. Smuggler comes fully lined to help protect your cargo and cushion some of the road noise. Naturally, the door opening is fully weather stripped to guard against foul weather as well. Locking door keeps things secure and simple to access. Our new stainless steel hinge mechanism allows the door to open very wide to keep it out of the way when stowing your gear.

Corbin Smuggler comes fully lined with a nice, thick grey liner on the inside to protect your cargo. Sure seal weather stripping around the doors keeps out the elements. Locking door keeps contents secure.
Nice examples of bullshit "marketspeak", but no claim to be "waterproof".

Sounds like those with dry and tight Smugglers are just plain lucky.
RadioHowie,

While I'm appreciative of your input on the legalities of this issue I never implied that I expected the Smuggler to be waterproof, only rainproof. It goes on the back of a motorcycle that will be ridden through down pours after all.

I consider my SUV to be rainproof but if I drive it into the ocean I can assure you it will flood the interior so even it is not waterproof.

It's quite obvious that Corbin's intent was to make the Smuggler rainproof otherwise they could have left the rubber gasket off. They called me this morning and UPS will be picking it up tomorrow and I was emphatic that they do not send a replacement that's not rainproof.

BTW, the Corbin rep. mentioned this was the first they have heard of the Smuggler not being rainproof...what a joke!!

Rod

I'm just glad I didn't drop the cash on it. I was going to order the seats and the smuggler at the same time, then decided to wait on the smuggler (lots of $$$!!!). Then last weekend I decided to go ahead and do it, then saw this thread. With the other people mentioning the same issue, I'm thankful now I didn't just blindly order.

So again... thanks for posting this issue. It may sound like whining to some, but I'm appreciative for places where you can air these issues out.

RadioHowie,
While I'm appreciative of your input on the legalities of this issue I never implied that I expected the Smuggler to be waterproof, only rainproof. It goes on the back of a motorcycle that will be ridden through down pours after all.

I consider my SUV to be rainproof but if I drive it into the ocean I can assure you it will flood the interior so even it is not waterproof.

It's quite obvious that Corbin's intent was to make the Smuggler rainproof otherwise they could have left the rubber gasket off. They called me this morning and UPS will be picking it up tomorrow and I was emphatic that they do not send a replacement that's not rainproof.

BTW, the Corbin rep. mentioned this was the first they have heard of the Smuggler not being rainproof...what a joke!!

Rod
Rod,

I feel your pain, but scroll up the page a bit and you'll see my post was in immediate reply to Groo's comment. He made the statement about Corbin and waterproofing. His post is the one I was replying to, not yours.

it's unacceptable if the smuggler isn't waterproof
As to what you wrote,

I never implied that I expected the Smuggler to be waterproof
You're absolutely right...you never did state, hint, imply or anything else to the matter. Again, it was Groo my comments were directed at.

Quite honestly, I don't know what to expect in respect to a Smuggler's ability to shed water, since I've never seen one "in real life", but as far as anything on a motorcycle, I don't expect ANYTHING to be waterproof. If it is, as is the case of my FJR's hard bags, I just consider myself fortunate.

Well, after reading all these comments, I'm putting my order on hold. For $700 we should expect a quality product. Thanks for the info.

A whole lotta verbage being flung around on this old thead. If I was to buy a Smuggler, I would hope that the items placed within it would not get wet, under typical weather riding conditions, including riding in the rain. If I drove my bike into a river, I would no longer expect the stuff to stay dry (although if it did, I'd be happy).

Gawd, Groo, yer absofricken right. How these POS threads don't die natural deaths cracks me up.

But I do disagree with you on expectations from the Smuggler. It's a pisser to have to caveat emptor day in and day out, but that's life.

But to get right back on track, everything I carry with me when I ride, short of my rainsuit, is weather-protected INSIDE THE BAGS!!!

Last thing I want to do is get somewhere and find my cellphone or $1000 Nikon is toast because my expectations were set too high on someone's product, or because I was too fricken lazy to put them in a sandwich bag.

And to put a final nail in my portion of this coffin, a Smuggler's apparent weather shortcomings would NOT prevent me from buying one. I think they look great, and you can never have too much storage on a bike.

29,000 miles of waterproof storage:

fjrtopcase2.jpg

A whole lotta verbage being flung around on this old thead. If I was to buy a Smuggler, I would hope that the items placed within it would not get wet, under typical weather riding conditions, including riding in the rain. If I drove my bike into a river, I would no longer expect the stuff to stay dry (although if it did, I'd be happy).
Hey now Groo, you've already Conquered CO-8. No need to go taking on rivers on the FJR now :lol:

Here's an update to this "POS thread that won't die" that I started on 9/22.

Corbin still has my smuggler. Apparently they now realize that the lid needs to be redesigned to offer better weather protection. I received another email from their R&D Dept. last week that a new mold is being designed so this is encouraging and I can only hope that they offer a better product than I originally received.

I would also like say a big thanks to ALL the individuals that have posted threads in this forum as I have benefited greatly from the combined experiences. I appreciate a varied perspective and refrain from criticism of what may be anothers answer to a concern.

I have a Smuggler for my 2006 FZ1. I haven't been caught in any heavy rain but so far its been watertight. I've washed the bike with a hose a few times and the inside has been dry each time. I believe the hinge is that funky design to allow the cover to swing all the way back to gain unrestricted access to the inside. The Smuggler is also a complicated piece to make. I've done some elementary fiberglass molding and it is a bitch to get something to come out as nice looking as the Smuggler. And then figure all the labor to paint as nicely as it is. $700 is a lot of money, but not unreasonable for the amount of labor involved. It was a necessity for my FZ1 as that bike has no storage capacity from the factory.

IMO Corbin has products that don't live up to the standards we come to expect and enjoy. I've heard too many negatives on their products. Some do like their seats but any issues with them on a whole has had problems getting those resolved. Looking at other sites lots of issues with Corbin. $700 for a small bag that doesn't keep out the rain/elements blows chunks. :sick: Just my $.02 take it or leave it. PM. <>< ;)

IMO Corbin has products that don't live up to the standards we come to expect and enjoy. I've heard too many negatives on their products. Some do like their seats but any issues with them on a whole has had problems getting those resolved. Looking at other sites lots of issues with Corbin. $700 for a small bag that doesn't keep out the rain/elements blows chunks. :sick: Just my $.02 take it or leave it. PM. <>< ;)
The problems I've read/heard about, while completely anecdotal, are more about negative results with customer service after products are purchased, not so much with the products themselves. Shit happens and exhaust systems don't fit right, or rust prematurely, or Smugglers don't keep out rain, or whatever, but if the company that builds/markets/sells the products is a PITA to deal with, the the product reputation suffers, sometimes unfairly.

I still don't think $700 is a guarantee to keep rain out and is an unfair yardstick to measure the product by. Think about it...$13,000 for a sidestand that folds up or a throttle that's clunky blows chunks too. :)

Well, the Smuggler for my 06 is back at Corbin for the water leaking while riding. Hopefully it will get fixed soon, and right.