Creeping up on an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chivvalry

Reaction score
So I went to see my local Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer yesterday. They have an 08 FJR1300AE sitting right next to an 08 Connie. I definitely like the looks of the feejer better. Offered me a test ride on the AE as I expressed some trepidation about the electric shift but it was rainy and nasty and I didnt bring my gear. They were quick to offer $1800 off retail on the feejer (like $13000) but when I started discussing a much lower price than that the conversation slowed down a bit. I'm positive I could get away with that feejer for around $11000 if I give him my 2007 VTX1300C for $4780 (that's the KBB trade in value on it... Retail is like $6900).

Now... I'm not sure I'm going to like the AE... so I asked if he would get me an 08 or 09 A. His immediate answer was "No" but a little conversation made that more of a "Ride the AE and tell me you hate the shifter and we'll talk about an A". I'm almost positive I could get him to deliver me an 08 A for $11000 (if one can be found) but should I expect to pay a bit more for an 09? KBB lists an 09 FJR1300A as $11,365. I think I would be okay with that and also that I would prefer the 09 over the 08 even for a little extra moola.

Promised to return to the dealership with my bike and test ride the AE when a fairly decent day coincides with some free time.

Okay, now the real question.... I think I know the answer but... Are these prices reasonable and within the norm for both him and me? I dont want to (or expect to be able to) rip the dealer off but I want to get as good a deal as possible.

Okay, now the real question.... I think I know the answer but... Are these prices reasonable and within the norm for both him and me? I dont want to (or expect to be able to) rip the dealer off but I want to get as good a deal as possible.
You don't need to creep up on an FJR, just grab it! :lol:
Well, it's all relative and what type of utils you get from getting an FJR. If you think it's a good price great. What ever you pay for it is the market price, at least for you.

Check KBB, NADA, and do some searches on CyleTrader, ebay, etc. What peple ask for on pricing isn't always what they get, we don't really know that one, although KBB & NADA tries to give a "fair market value" for both parties. Farkles can increase that value too

I'm not an AE guy so I can't really tell you. I bet you're in the ball park, and there are probably even some cheaper, if you hunt around some more.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I went to see my local Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer yesterday. They have an 08 FJR1300AE sitting right next to an 08 Connie. I definitely like the looks of the feejer better. Offered me a test ride on the AE as I expressed some trepidation about the electric shift but it was rainy and nasty and I didnt bring my gear. They were quick to offer $1800 off retail on the feejer (like $13000) but when I started discussing a much lower price than that the conversation slowed down a bit. I'm positive I could get away with that feejer for around $11000 if I give him my 2007 VTX1300C for $4780 (that's the KBB trade in value on it... Retail is like $6900).
Now... I'm not sure I'm going to like the AE... so I asked if he would get me an 08 or 09 A. His immediate answer was "No" but a little conversation made that more of a "Ride the AE and tell me you hate the shifter and we'll talk about an A". I'm almost positive I could get him to deliver me an 08 A for $11000 (if one can be found) but should I expect to pay a bit more for an 09? KBB lists an 09 FJR1300A as $11,365. I think I would be okay with that and also that I would prefer the 09 over the 08 even for a little extra moola.

Promised to return to the dealership with my bike and test ride the AE when a fairly decent day coincides with some free time.

Brand new 2009 "A" is $11,999 at D&H in Cullman Alabama. They have 3 in stock as of this morning.

It's hard, and realy unfare, to compare prices regionally. It really depends on the local maket and demand in your area. If the dealership can get full retail for a bike they won't sell one for much less. Call a number of local dealerships, tell them you are going to purchase a bike and want their best price, at least this will give you an idea of what things are going for in your area.

I highly recommend trading in your VTX for an FJR. I know it worked out well for me.

As for the price, the amount more you are willing to pay for an 09 than an 08 is entirely subjective, but there are some good prices to be had on either. The differences, as far as I know, are that the 09 is 'none-more black' while the 08 is merely 'black' (the 09 has black rims, black bit at the bottom of the tank, and so forth.)

I'll take the opposite position. If you are really all that concerned about getting the absolute best deal, I recommend not trading in your old bike. Wait for the spring and sell it outright. Then make your best deal on whatever FJR trips your trigger.

OTOH, if you don't want to be bothered with that, then go ahead and trade it in and don't worry if you may be paying a few hundred more. You'll get the bike when you want it. That's worth something.

The prices from D&H are pretty much the rock bottom legitimate price on a new FJR. Then just add your expense to fly/drive there and ride home. That should be the price that you are looking to pay to your local guy. But the price you are paying is not very meaningful in a trade-up deal as they may be making more (or less) on your trade-in.

I'll take the opposite position. If you are really all that concerned about getting the absolute best deal, I recommend not trading in your old bike. Wait for the spring and sell it outright. Then make your best deal on whatever FJR trips your trigger.
OTOH, if you don't want to be bothered with that, then go ahead and trade it in and don't worry if you may be paying a few hundred more. You'll get the bike when you want it. That's worth something.

The prices from D&H are pretty much the rock bottom legitimate price on a new FJR. Then just add your expense to fly/drive there and ride home. That should be the price that you are looking to pay to your local guy. But the price you are paying is not very meaningful in a trade-up deal as they may be making more (or less) on your trade-in.
Yep, that's why I included the info on my trade. I've got it listed on the local craigslist now but there are a few bikes out there and it's winter in like 4 days. I may just take that approach (spring, sell the x and buy the feejer) but I'm not loving the idea of having to deal with selling the x... my greatest fear is some jagoff wants to test ride it and drops it.

Even with the trade in the mix I still dont want to pay more than I have to. It all comes down to two prices... the allowed value of the trade and the sales price of the bike. Either can move and affect the net dollars out of the pocket.

Edit: say, does that D&H price of $11,999 include everything but tax or what? Some adverts call out they dont include dealer freight and paperwork costs, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are exactly right. You have to keep track of both sides of the equation.

There is one more reason not to wait.

In the spring you may get a few more bites and therefore a few more dollars for your trade-in. Maybe not, you never know how this economy is going to turn.

But one thing's for sure and that is that the dealers will have sunk even more money into their old inventory at that point (paying interest over the winter) so they probably really want to move it out now. The few more dollars you get from selling the trade in bike in spring may be lost on the other end...

Good point... and one of the reasons, I'm sure, that he wants me to take the 2008AE he has on the floor instead of getting me a 2008A or even a 2009A.

The AE Feejers are selling at a discount and many a dealer has bought an auction bike AE so make sure that this AE has the factory warranty and then make your best deal. I would not shy away from an AE myself.

Good luck

Scooper

I'd just go with a trade in and get rid of the old horse without the worry of some dude wrecking it on a test ride.

Seems like forever now, but I'm itchin to get a Feejer and finally the day looks to be coming soon now that the wife's on board with the idea. Going to trade my FZ-6 in when I do instead of futzing around with Craigslist...been waiting way too long to get one, lol.

However, if you do opt to buy the AE, by all means do get the longest YES warranty that you can.

If not from the dealership, get it within the 1st year from D&H.

I'd just go with a trade in and get rid of the old horse without the worry of some dude wrecking it on a test ride.
Seems like forever now, but I'm itchin to get a Feejer and finally the day looks to be coming soon now that the wife's on board with the idea. Going to trade my FZ-6 in when I do instead of futzing around with Craigslist...been waiting way too long to get one, lol.
I've sold lot's of bikes through Craigs and also fleaBay. Nobody rides 'em till I have their cold hard cash in my hand. That's my rules and if they don't like it they can go elsewhere.

I've never scared off anyone that was actually serious. But I understand when people don't want to do the dog and pony show need to get it done. Personally, I kind of enjoy the challenge. The give and take. Messing with their heads.

But most people I know will do anything to avoid any sort of conflict (except when they are behind the wheel). ;)

1. Decide if you want an AE or a conventional shift

2. If you do decide on getting the AE go ahead and shop for the best price

3. If you decide to go 1300A do not sweat if it's an 08 or an 09 there is virtually no diff. and you can get one with less than 5000miles for around than 10 grand.

4. Sell your current bike in the spring when the market heats up for bikes and get top dollar

5. Go get it already :yahoo:

Alfred

I'm with the Bluesman; one doesn't creep up on an JFR. One vaults, or scrambles,or a the very least, climbs. I prefer vault or scramble because it infers a kind of enthusiasm that isn't inherent in "creep". Having said that, take the test ride, decide which model you want, and go for it.

I recently bought an 08 AE model for 10,800 off the showroom floor and they allowed 5000 for the 05 Vtx 1300 I traded in. Like you I was apprehensive about the AE at first but the more miles I log on the better I like it. If this bike proves to be as trouble free as the VTX i'm sold on it.

I'm not sure where you are in PA but Larry's Sport Center up in Galeton gave me a great deal and they have a real good technician in the Yamaha shop. Ask for Sheri.

I say keep the X and buy a Feej at the best deal you can. That's what I did. Now I have the best of both worlds. A cruiser when I want to cruise and a sport/tour that I can have a ball on through the twisties and going down the road. Look around, check out the classifieds and craigslist, you'll be able to find a newer model Feej with extras for a great price. Take your time and look, they show up all the time.