Creeping up on an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your sales taxes are like ours here in MN, trade it in.

We only pay sales tax on the difference in price.

I'm with the Bluesman; one doesn't creep up on an JFR. One vaults, or scrambles,or a the very least, climbs. I prefer vault or scramble because it infers a kind of enthusiasm that isn't inherent in "creep". Having said that, take the test ride, decide which model you want, and go for it.
I hear you... however, I have to slowly introduce this idea to my wife and continue to drop multiple hints on what I am planning to do all the while deflecting "concerns" and ensuring that she gets lots of time to come to terms with it. I've discovered that patience avoids drama. So my "creeping up" on an FJR is more related to continued marital bliss than my level of enthusiasm. I want one so bad I can almost feel the throttle in my hand.

I'm also very likely to be headed to elbow surgery in later January which will put me out of commission bike wise until the end of March or early April... Been struggling with a torn tendon for two years now.

I say keep the X and buy a Feej at the best deal you can. That's what I did. Now I have the best of both worlds. A cruiser when I want to cruise and a sport/tour that I can have a ball on through the twisties and going down the road. Look around, check out the classifieds and craigslist, you'll be able to find a newer model Feej with extras for a great price. Take your time and look, they show up all the time.
I'd love that approach... but I only have so much money budgeted for toys every year and that would necessitate me waiting longer than I want to. I dont buy these sorts of toys on credit...

I love my pretty little X but simply feel that she is restricting my riding style too much. When I want to get a little aggressive in the turns she cant keep up with me...

I'm not sure where you are in PA but Larry's Sport Center up in Galeton gave me a great deal and they have a real good technician in the Yamaha shop. Ask for Sheri.
Just north of Pittsburgh so that is within about a 5 hour drive. I might give them a buzz on prices...

Hey chivvarly,

Good to see another VTXOA member over here. FYI, the KBB trade-in on my '06 1300R is listed for just under yours. I was able to get more due to my accessories. Something to keep in mind when negotiating. I traded for an '05 and got an excellent deal, I think in part because the dealer can probably sell my VTX easier than a FJR. I've been on the FJR for about 3-4 weeks now and I'm loving it. You will have no problems taking the curves!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey chivvarly,
Good to see another VTXOA member over here. FYI, the KBB trade-in on my '06 1300R is listed for just under yours. I was able to get more due to my accessories. Something to keep in mind when negotiating. I traded for an '05 and got an excellent deal, I think in part because the dealer can probably sell my VTX easier than a FJR. I've been on the FJR for about 3-4 weeks now and I'm loving it. You will have no problems taking the curves!
"You will have no problems taking the curves!"

That's right !! I came from a Road Star to this bike so I could run with my sons FZ1 and CBR600. Kept the Roady to poke around on with my wife.

Scooper

I'm also very likely to be headed to elbow surgery in later January which will put me out of commission bike wise until the end of March or early April... Been struggling with a torn tendon for two years now.
It's that damned heavy sword yer carryin'. Trade it in while you're in a tradin' mood. Look for a Katana.

However, if you do opt to buy the AE, by all means do get the longest YES warranty that you can. If not from the dealership, get it within the 1st year from D&H.
+1 be sure to get the YES warranty from D & H. You will only pay about a third of what you would have to pay another dealer and besides there isn't a nicer dealer than D & H. I know because I went all the way from California to buy my 07 from them and have returned twice for service.

It's that damned heavy sword yer carryin'. Trade it in while you're in a tradin' mood. Look for a Katana.
Yah, swinging that "bastard" hand and a half is a real chore... Actually I already have a katana... the sword not the bike. Well, it's a replica made with chrome-vanadium steel... good blade but not as high quality as a real folded steel blade with differential hardening.

The torn elbow was actually from a poorly executed morote seo nage... a throw in Judo.

Hey chivvarly,
Good point on the accessories... he did seem more interested when I described what I had on the bike... three national cycle windshields (shorty, chopped and 2up), saddlemen desperado bags, spyker air box mod, R bars and scootworks risers with +4" stainless steel cables, fuse box mod, and glens A/F adjusting tool... plus all the stock parts that came off it. Oh, and I forgot to mention to him my wonderful beadriders beaded seat.... LOL

Since it's going to start snowing here tonight I'm not sure I'm going to get a chance to test ride that AE anytime soon. I freaking hate winter.

However, if you do opt to buy the AE, by all means do get the longest YES warranty that you can. If not from the dealership, get it within the 1st year from D&H.
+1 be sure to get the YES warranty from D & H. You will only pay about a third of what you would have to pay another dealer and besides there isn't a nicer dealer than D & H. I know because I went all the way from California to buy my 07 from them and have returned twice for service.
You guys are not selling me on the AE... if I need the warranty that bad is there some maintenance problems or something with the electric shift? Or are they just damned expensive to fix if something does break?

You guys are not selling me on the AE... if I need the warranty that bad is there some maintenance problems or something with the electric shift? Or are they just damned expensive to fix if something does break?
Yes, and yes. Plus at ~ $450 for 4 years coverage it is a very good value as mechanical insurance policies (aka extended warranties) go.

And as to winter, this is my traditional avatar after Festivus:

Fwinter.jpg

I bought a new still-in-the-crate '07 FJR A model for $11,000 OTD exactly 2 years ago from a dealer 75 miles West of my home. Not one of the three Yamaha dealers within 10 miles of home even had one in stock so a little trip saved me $$$'s. I would say make some phone calls, shop cycletrader and be prepared to ride it home ASAP. You will save enough buying this time of year that you can really lower the price on your current bike in the spring and still come out ahead IMHO. I've ridden new bikes home from 1,500 miles away and always had a great ride. I guess it's the bonding experience.

Which way you trade doesn't really matter, you're trading up if you get the FJR, A or AE.

OBD

Most likely you will not need the warranty unless you ride about 100,000 miles a year. But if you should have a problem, it could cost a lot more. Also something to consider is if you wanted to sell the bike within the 5 years, it would make it a lot easier to sell.

Considering the snow I havent had a chance to go test the AE... gawd I hate winter.... I did get to test out my $50 garage sale snowblower and it worked about as expected.

Most likely you will not need the warranty unless you ride about 100,000 miles a year. But if you should have a problem, it could cost a lot more. Also something to consider is if you wanted to sell the bike within the 5 years, it would make it a lot easier to sell.
Not necessarily true. Some of the folks that have had the worst problems getting their shift codes fixed had relatively few miles on them. The problem is, if you were past the 1 year warranty and develop a shift code error, you'll be paying the full repair bills, and the shops are not very good at fixing these kind of electronic problems. They tend to take several attempts with lots of labor cost a dn module swapping to do so.

Your second statement about resale is very true and may be important, whether you intend on selling it within that time period or not.

I'm with the Bluesman; one doesn't creep up on an JFR. One vaults, or scrambles,or a the very least, climbs. I prefer vault or scramble because it infers a kind of enthusiasm that isn't inherent in "creep". Having said that, take the test ride, decide which model you want, and go for it.
I hear you... however, I have to slowly introduce this idea to my wife and continue to drop multiple hints on what I am planning to do all the while deflecting "concerns" and ensuring that she gets lots of time to come to terms with it. I've discovered that patience avoids drama. So my "creeping up" on an FJR is more related to continued marital bliss than my level of enthusiasm. I want one so bad I can almost feel the throttle in my hand.

It took me a very long time, but as of last week, I've finally got the wife's approval to get an FJR. :) Just have to get rid of my FZ-6 and track down an attractive deal. I think the many miles we've done two-up on the Fizzer finally convinced her that the comfort/room of the FJR is worth the upgrade. Not to mention the higher potential of overnighters to cool spots (the Fizzer simply can't carry as much when two-up...I like tenting it).