Cruise limit fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried to set the cruise on my Block II, '13 FJR manufacture date 1/13 at 90 MPH today. It would not set at all. Sorry guys, I think all the '13 FJR's have the 80 MPH cruise limit.
Not all.
European ones are limited to 180kph, that's 118mph. (Hoping the UK ones will be the same so that I don't have to eat humble pie.)

Because, if you're reading this, Mr. Yamaha, I may want to take it on a German autobahn. And I may not buy one if it can't keep up with the flow, that would be too dangerous for me.

Kinda like I40 between Texas and Arizona...

I25 from Texas to Colorado...

I10 from El Paso to Katie TX...

Any freeway through Montana, and the Dakotas...

Nevada...

Mr Yamaha.

Now I don't know sh** about FJR 13's, but I use TWO SpeedoHealers on my Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter.

One's adjusted to minus 7,2% and feeds the speedometer input in the instrument cluster.

The other is adjusted to either plus 5% or plus 10% and feeds the auto transmission controller speed input, because I want it to upshift sooner than mother Suzuki designed.

I think it's more than likely that Yamaha don't mix the vital ABS sensor signal with the speed signal for the speedo, so you could probably set the SpeedoHealer to minus 50% and get rid of all limits.

Now I don't know sh** about FJR 13's...I think it's more than likely that Yamaha don't mix the vital ABS sensor signal with the speed signal for the speedo...
I know as much about '13 FJRs as you do.

The Gen I used a high frequency VSS for the speedo input. The sensor is on the back of the engine down low where it could pickup off of a final drive gear.

The Gen II changed over to use an ABS wheel sensor as the speed input.

The Gen III??? Why change from the way they did the Gen II?

Now I don't know sh** about FJR 13's, but I use TWO SpeedoHealers on my Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter.
One's adjusted to minus 7,2% and feeds the speedometer input in the instrument cluster.

The other is adjusted to either plus 5% or plus 10% and feeds the auto transmission controller speed input, because I want it to upshift sooner than mother Suzuki designed.

I think it's more than likely that Yamaha don't mix the vital ABS sensor signal with the speed signal for the speedo, so you could probably set the SpeedoHealer to minus 50% and get rid of all limits.
I think it's unlikely they separate these signals. I'm pretty sure they don't on the Gen IIs. Speed sensors feed into the ABS computer, then it would appear to be inter-computer-speak feeding other system(s). I would expect the '13 to be similar.

Unless, of course, they feed a speed signal from the ABS computer to the other(s)? You'd need to do a bit of probing with an oscilloscope to find out.

In the Gen II the wheel sensors go to the ABS ECU then the ABS ECU sends a speed signal to the engine power management ECU on another wire. The wire that goes to the engine control ECU would be the one that could be messed with to a point. The ECU does need to keep track of vehicle speed so the ECU can be made ill if the speed is too far off from true speed. Many motorcycles have a separate electrical signal going to the speedo and that signal could be tapped and messed with. The FJR ECU sends signals to the Meter Assembly via serial communications which we can't do anything with. Well, maybe mcatrophy could, but most mortals couldn't :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
... then the ABS ECU sends a speed signal to the engine power management ECU on another wire. ...
I don't see why the ECU needs a vehicle speed signal, unless it's sending it on to the meter assembly.
A wiring diagram for a '13 would be useful - how separated are the various computers? If they've been integrated a bit more, there could be no possibility of kidding the CC system. But then I'm a "glass half empty" type of guy.