Cruising RPM?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, shift it whenever you want and drive in any gear you want. However, here are 2 observations:

1. The FJR falls flat after 7500 rpm.

2. If you're not operating this bike in 5th gear for about 99% of the time, you really are not using this bike for what it is intended to do and also what it is really good at.

Thanks all for your insight. I have been shifting at 4,500 generally, and cruising at 65 in 4th on fwy. Of course there are many exceptions depending on mood, conditions, etc...
RwP

I really don't get it. Is the # 5 an unlucky number for you???

Steve

I concur.I've always quoted the figure I got from Honda in the '60s -- they maintained their M/C engines could run continually at 75% of maximum. It was a long time ago -- for memory...! But, I've always thought of it -- and if you were ever around someone riding a CB/CL 160 you'd know that revs (at least) were of no concern.... :eek:
That reminds me of when we bought our 91 civic, the sales guy told us not to baby it but to keep the revs up, according to him that was a Honda recommendation. Now that was in the plans anyways, but I was amazed to hear it come out of his mouth. :)

Thanks all for your insight. I have been shifting at 4,500 generally, and cruising at 65 in 4th on fwy. Of course there are many exceptions depending on mood, conditions, etc...
RwP

I really don't get it. Is the # 5 an unlucky number for you???

Steve
No, no, 5th is reserved for passing. :rolleyes:
No, no, some of us find the FJR more responsive when the rpms are up and prefer to keep it in that range.

Did most of us really buy an FJR to save gas? Because if you did- you made a bad choice as a scooter is much more economical :rolleyes:

At 5,000 rpms the FJR had much better responsiveness and handling than lower rpms. Of course if you are just cruising down the highway then 5th gear 4K rpm is just fine. But for all other roads I tend to ride the FJR in the 5 K range and for aggressive twisties even higher. Those of you who are just learning your FJRs try riding on some curvy roads at 3-4K and then at 5-6k, you will soon see how much better the FJR performs at the higher RPM and actually feels more stable.

Have fun!

People want a six speed? :huh: I only have a three speed in mine. For plain old transportation driving, I double shift, skipping second and fourth. The torque monster has no problem doing it. The reason you ask: I feel that every time you shift, you put a little wear on the back tire as the tire has to match it's speed to the engine. So there is a bit of push or pull on the pavement causing wear. May as well save that tire for doing the fun roads. Plus it's a bit smoother, especially with a passenger. I also don't feel as bad when I'm rowing through all the gears near red line if I baby it the rest of the time. Helps with gas mileage too. Not that the actual mileage is an issue with me, I just play a game sometimes to keep myself amused and see how much mpg I can get. There are times a sixth gear would be nice for a little more relaxed cruising. Mileage does suffer quite a bit if you sustain 90-100mph. But get real, did any of you buy this bike to solely conserve fuel? That's just a nice, extra benefit of riding. The 1300 is like any other motor on the planet, the harder you run it, the shorter the life span. Only you can decide how much the giggles are worth. I get my grins with the race bike. It's easier and cheaper to fix. Don't want the FJR broken, makes me grumpy.

1) I normally cruise the slab at about 85mph. That's about 5k in top gear. Speed and gear both drop quickly when the radar detector goes off.

2) Typically I shift between 4k and 6k for commuting and sight seeing.

3) Fuel economy? What's that?

4) If I'm getting on it hard enough to go past 8k I really don't look at the tachometer, I'm focused on the road. There is a rev limiter that will stop you from blowing up your engine if you spin it too fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, it appears that I am the odd one here.

My gas mileage goes up considerably at the higher rpms and longer ride times. I shift in the 6,500 range or higher. Ride in the 5,000 to 5,500 range. Anything lower an the mpg drops below 35 mpg.

The last three summers I achieved 52 mpg on trips across Montana to visit relatives and more often than not the mph was 85+.

Typically, as long as I stay above 5,000 rpm my mpg stays above 36mpg. The longer time I ride and keep it at or above 5,000 rpm the higher my gas mileage.

In my opinion, shift it whenever you want and drive in any gear you want. However, here are 2 observations:
1. The FJR falls flat after 7500 rpm.

2. If you're not operating this bike in 5th gear for about 99% of the time, you really are not using this bike for what it is intended to do and also what it is really good at.
Yep, 5th is where mine spends its time

2) Typically I shift between 4k and 6k for commuting and sight seeing.
Eszactly....! (yes): 60~90 mph (4th - Gen I); 65~98 mph (4th - Gen II).

'SRT8': 1. The FJR falls flat after 7500 rpm.
Which would be 130 mph (Gen I) and 142 mph (Gen II).

'SRT8': 2. If you're not operating this bike in 5th gear for about 99% of the time, you really are not using this bike for what it is intended to do and also what it is really good at.
Which would be (I think?): Super Sport Touring -- or, at least that's what Yamaha built it for.

5th -- 99% of the time...?? :unsure:

'playgtr': <snip>...I'm usually in 5th gear in the 40s mph range.
That'd be (somethin'-like?): 2300~2800 rpm (Gen I) or 2200~2600 rpm (Gen II) -- seems a little slow to be runnin' a Super Sport Touring engine (to me?)? :unsure:

The other night I went for a ride around the lake where I live. Nice roads and lots of twisties. Normaly I would go through the gears between every curve. This time instead I just kept it in 3rd. and used the rpm's and torque to my advantage. What a blast! Staying in 3rd. did two things,it kept my top speed down (50mph max) but put me in the power band so the bike would pull through turns like a bitch. I also discovered that by doing this I could use the front break and throttle at the same time to settle the front end when setting up for the turns. Made for a very fast but very smooth ride. No pucker moments,just smooth and in control.

My gas mileage goes up considerably at the higher rpms and longer ride times. I shift in the 6,500 range or higher. Ride in the 5,000 to 5,500 range. Anything lower an the mpg drops below 35 mpg.

The last three summers I achieved 52 mpg on trips across Montana to visit relatives and more often than not the mph was 85+.

Typically, as long as I stay above 5,000 rpm my mpg stays above 36mpg. The longer time I ride and keep it at or above 5,000 rpm the higher my gas mileage.
That seems unlikely... :)

That seems unlikely... :)
For those of you with 2006+ FJRs, it's quite easy to test. Switch to the instantaneous MPG reading on the dash and cruise at a steady speed for several seconds until the reading settles. Switch to a different gear (staying at the same speed, different RPMs) and compare. I've found that lower RPMs gives better gas mileage down to about 2500 RPMs. For example, at 40mph, the MPG reading is about the same in 4th (~2500 RPMs) and 5th gear (<2500 RPMs), but the engine runs smoother in 4th. Anything lower than 4th gear at 40mph is worse MPGs.

For those of you with 2006+ FJRs, it's quite easy to test. Switch to the instantaneous MPG reading on the dash and cruise at a steady speed for several seconds until the reading settles.
Huh, mine always says the same thing no matter what I do. ;)