Cruse Control Advise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Bullet

Reaction score
Shady Side Md. / Just Outside of Annapolis Md.
This summer I took a long trip on my new 07 FJR and although the trip was great I couldnt use my right hand for several hours after the ride. I have been planning to install a Cruse Control. I have heard of the Throttlemister because the shop I purchased my bike sells it. Are there any other types and or manufactures that may offer the same item. Just looking for a little pre-purchaseing advice.

I'm looking myself.

If you do searches on Throttlemeister, Vistacruise, NEP or just cruise control you will find a lot of reading.

I was planning to modify a little-known throttle lock called a flip-a-lever from my mean streak to the fjr. I'm convinced the bracket I'll have to modify to make it work will not look good.

I'm currently leaning toward the vista cruise. There is a good install post in here on the vc.

good luck with your searching.

Most will probably chime in a say "search", there is tons of info here about it...

To narrow it down, there are 2 ways to go; Low-tech like the vista-cruise, NEP, or more expensive Throttlemeisters. These are "throttle locks". They hold the throttle where you engage it, but not your road speed. Other way to go is an actual cruise control; search Audiovox CSS-100. This is a universal CC that can be adapted to the FJR.

I had both on my '04. Used them both equally. Start out with the vista-cruise (cheap), then Audiovox if you do a lot of slab.

my .02,

-wr

I have been using the throttlemister until this weekend. I had Smitty install the Audiovox CC on Saturday and I must say that it is a very good investment.

The Throttlemister is ok but it does not work for very long. Any kind of change in grade of the road will make you speed up or slow down. It will not maintain speed since it is just maintaining the throttle opening you set it at. It is good for giving your right hand a break though. I did use it many times a few months ago when I rode to Reno and back from Vegas.

This weekend I rode out to LA from Vegas to have the CC-100 installed. The ride back was great. I prefer to be able to maintain a specific speed versus just a throttle opening. Besides, if you keep an eye on Amazon you can actually pick up the Audiovox unit for less than a Throttlemister. The install is tougher but....

Good luck with your decision!!!!

A throttle lock is not good for anything other than a momentary break for your right hand. You can't really go anywhere with it except in Kansas.

Get the Audiovox CC, if you need an installer, find one of the guys known here for ther skillz and ride the bike to them!!! Then you get a real before/after. Perfect!

Totally agree on the Audiovox CC. There are couple tutorials available, on this forum, with pictures that can walk you through the install.

I had the flip-a-lever on 2 cruisers but couldn't see a good way to use it on the fjr. I went with the vista cruise. It works just fine for what it's made for.

This summer I took a long trip on my new 07 FJR and although the trip was great I couldnt use my right hand for several hours after the ride. I have been planning to install a Cruse Control. I have heard of the Throttlemister because the shop I purchased my bike sells it. Are there any other types and or manufactures that may offer the same item. Just looking for a little pre-purchaseing advice.
Grip puppies will help your hand/wrist and they are real cheap. I installed them first thing on my 07, then later had Smitty install a cruise control.

Mac

Smitty? Is this the same Smitty mentioned by Spyderbret?

Tell me more about Smitty, I thought Smitty was a forum member but now I'm thinking Smitty is a company?

Thanks.

Smitty is a forum member (he used to own an FJR...) who installs farkles for folks at a reasonable cost.

The very cheapest thing you can do to help your sore wrist is get a "Throttle Rocker". These help you release your grip at all times, so they are useful later on, even in conjunction with a throttle lock device or electronic cruise control. I use one and also have installed my own Audiovox Cruise control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of us are familiar only with what we've tried, so if you had one of the choices and liked it, that's what you'll recommend. I had a Throttlemeiser on the used '05 I bought, and I thought it was great. It incorporates the vibration dampening bar end weights, looks good, and is very functional. I put a Vista Cruise on my KLR cause it was dirt cheap, and it works ok too, but nowhere near as "finished" a product as the TM.

As for the cruise control options, I've only had a "real" CC on my cars, and I don't like them much for this reason: for my money they're only worthwhile on straight, level roads with no traffic. I don't WANT to maintain the same speed going uphill and downhill, or riding through curves, or coming up on traffic. I want to let the bike/car slow a bit as I'm climbing, and then pick up a little speed on the downhill. It's more fuel efficient. Curves, you slow going in and accelerate out, the way I was taught. These things are easy to do with a Throttlemeister, since you don't have to crank it down tight. When it's lightly torqued, it holds the speed but is easy to override and you can make those small adjustments as needed without turning it off.

You really don't ever want to just turn on any cruise control or throttle lock and have your right hand completely free on a motorcycle, IMO. You'd better be able to get that hand back on the bars for control in any kind of emergency or potential emergency. The gadget, whatever you use, is best used to get a break when you need it for some temporary purpose, and you get that break even if your right hand is just resting lightly on the grip instead of maintaining even the light pressure necessary to hold your speed. So if we're "voting," my vote is for the Throttlemeister.

I've owned a Throttlemeister before and didn't like it at all. It was a PITA to engage IMO and it did exactly what you said: The bike slowed down on every incline. BTW - I don't think you will get better fuel mileage by doing that, but I have no proof either way.

I only ever use my cruise control on a divided highway. There you want to maintain a steady speed so you pace the other traffic. The rest of the time, probably greater than 95% of my riding, I just use the throttle rocker.

This is almost as good as tires, oil and windshields for being an individual preference! ;)

Thanks for all of the great input. SacramentoMike's info made more sence to me because I am not really looking for a cruse control but just a good way to give my right hand a rest on a really long ride when you are worried about time and not site seeing.

Thanks again

Silver Bullet

I have a different perspective than most on this topic. I have an MC Cruise cruise control (www.mccruise.com) installed on my '03 and love it. You don't take your hand off the bar, just use a light grip--which makes a significant difference on long rides. It's safe and very comfortable. I used to think a cc would be a useless accessory; now it's my favorite farkle.

The MC Cruise unit is expensive but very good quality. It's made in Australia by the Guymer brothers...they do a good job and provide personal service. Installation takes a while, but the setup is well documented and, again, the quality is first rate.

I can't speak to the quality and functionality of the Audiovox unit, but I've heard of some problems installing them with GenII machines. I'd be happy to be wrong it this is not the case. The Audiovox unit is substantially cheaper than the MC unit.

Take a look at this post if you're interested in learning more/gaining additional perspective. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...c=29425&hl=

Good luck. ;)

There is the "Crampbuster" for about $12 or less. I like because I can spin it over (in the direction of closing the throttle) to move it out of the way when in the twisties, then continue to flip it over to a "cruise" position. With practice it becomes second nature to do with one hand. I've used it on my '07 for long day rides of six hours or more in the southern Sierras and Angeles National Forest with some minor modifications to fit my fat hands.