Custom Seat (Russell)-Leather vs. vinyl??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomhanaway

Reaction score
OK,

Order for the Russell Day Long Seat is placed, pictures sent, second set of seats bought and sent so I can keep riding.

I initially thought all leather since I was treating myself. Money differecnce isn't that important to me at this level. I sort of assumed that leather would feel more "luxurious" B)

After speaking with Russell people, I'm leaning towards vinyl. Easier to maintain, better grip. I was told that leather will become slippery once grain wears down. Also, that there wasn't that much of a temperature comfort level difference between vinyl and leather (coolness comfort impt. since I'm based in Soth Florida).

I have a few weeks to decide before production date so would appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Thanks,

Tom Hanaway

Boynton Beach, Fl

I have vinyl the first time. I have all leather now. The difference (even with riding pants) is an improvement. Even though the first one was for a GL1500 Wing, the Feejer Russell is more comfy. No problems with texture so far (3 years and counting).

Get the rain cover.

I use Lexol cleaning and conditioning products on it about every 3 to 6 months.

I had a certain someone threaten to kick my ass if I didn't get all leather this last time. I grinned and took her advice. I'm glad I did.

If you get vinyl, I recommend you get the heavy duty vinyl that they offer as an option.

I have the heavy vinyl version Russell. It's a great seat, and I don't notice any difference from other custom leather seats I've had on other bikes. You'll enjoy the seat either way you go. ;)

JW

I just ordered the Velour...I had all leather on the previous one and me and the pillion were sliding everywhere until our butts sweat enough to hold the seat. :D Velour may not look as good, but i figured it breathes the best for summer and you wont slide around on it either.

I just ordered the Velour...I had all leather on the previous one and me and the pillion were sliding everywhere until our butts sweat enough to hold the seat. :D Velour may not look as good, but i figured it breathes the best for summer and you wont slide around on it either.
I would think Velour wouldn't work very well in the weather?

Vinyl wears better and is more impervious in the weather. The more stictching in say little square or diamond patterns will let more water in but improves air flow. I went with vinyl, much easier to care for and when you are suited up in your protective gear your arse doesn't know the difference.

Warchild swears by his ugly-ass waffle pattern vinyl. If lookin' good is the goal, stay away, but if comfort, grip, and durability are your primary concerns, the waffle vinyl is the way to go. ;)

Vinyl wears better and is more impervious in the weather. The more stictching in say little square or diamond patterns will let more water in but improves air flow. I went with vinyl, much easier to care for and when you are suited up in your protective gear your arse doesn't know the difference.
+1, I didn't want to have to deal with any up-keep on leather.

I went with the vinyl. With my riding gear on my butt doesnt know if its sitting on leather or vinyl, big squares or little squares. Get what looks good to ya. I got the large rectangles and it looks great on the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
here ya go

seat.jpg

I have the velour diamond stitched cover on my Russel...as was on the last Russel I had. Best for breathability and comfort by far in my book. It does soak up water in the rain if you don't cover it but it is great the rest of the time. I just cover it with a garbage bag in the rain. With the FJR it is easy to protect. Takes just 30 seconds to pop the front seat off, stick it in a garbage bag and reinstall. The white kitchen sized bags fit perfect and let the attachments punch thru when you stick it back on. Couple of bags ride under my seat for just such an occasion. If comfort is the main concern I would recommend the diamond stitched velour. My brother had a Russel with the vinyl and it was hot and did not breath well. He had his recovered with velour and liked it much better as an A-B comparison. Pics of seat in here https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...ic=8941&hl=

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the velour diamond stitched cover on my Russel...as was on the last Russel I had. Best for breathability and comfort by far in my book. It does soak up water in the rain if you don't cover it but it is great the rest of the time. I just cover it with a garbage bag in the rain. With the FJR it is easy to protect. Takes just 30 seconds to pop the front seat off, stick it in a garbage bag and reinstall. The white kitchen sized bags fit perfect and let the attachments punch thru when you stick it back on. Couple of bags ride under my seat for just such an occasion. If comfort is the main concern I would recommend the diamond stitched velour. My brother had a Russel with the vinyl and it was hot and did not breath well. He had his recovered with velour and liked it much better as an A-B comparison. Pics of seat in here https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...ic=8941&hl=
+1 on this. I ordered the rain cover though and Russell says you put it on and ride with it. With the leather its either kinda slippery if its cool out or sticky if its warm...but still a great seat...wouldnt even change but i need the dual, so this time its velour.

Damn it! I was just getting used to having to decide between vinyl or leather, now I have to put velour into the mix.

I'm just concerned that my velour leasure suit will blend in too much with avelour seat, but I suppose that would only be a problem if I get a paisley seat.

I currently have a Rick Meyer all leather seat and slide all over the place with my Cortech pants on. Jeans stay put (after you sweat), but I ride with ALL my gear 98% of the time. I'm going to send it back and have it recovered with heavy duty vinyl. Like the looks of leather, but so what. If my wife slides into me every time I tap the breaks, thats not good.

PS, while driving through the monsoon in CO comming back from WFO5 it held just fine! :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the thoughts and comments. I hadn't even considered velour. I can see where it makes sense and would be more comfortable in high heat (south florida), I just wished I liked the looks.

Still leaning towards vinyl with large rectangles.

By the way, I've had both Corbin and Rick Mayer previously. In my mind, ths is definitely a step up.

Tom Hanaway

If you ask most any of the saddle makers which they prefer, they'll most likely say, leather. As far as upkeep, 60 seconds of hand rubbed Lexol once a month is all it takes. If the seat gets wet, no worries, just dry it off when you're done riding or when the rain stops. How do you think cowboys got by all those years on the range without vinyl? As far as velour, now dat be pimpin', yo. Be diggin' on dat wif mah landau de Ville. Word up.
pimp.gif

We have the velour and love it, very comfortable, yes you will need the cover for rain or overnight

mildue, but it works great, perfectly dry everytime!

Ray