Customize Stock Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried bending the top of the stock windshield to make a lip. My stock V-strom windshield has much better protection than my stock '05 FJR shield and it has the top inch or so bent to vertical. I think this helps the V-strom shield do away with the turbulents that knock my head around on the FJR with the shield in the up position. Since the stock shield is practically useless, I thought I might be able to help it. What do you think?

There is more involved than just adding a "flip" to the windshield.

One must take into account the distance from the rider to the top edge of the windshield (also what turbulence might be modified by a pillion), the vertical distance from the seat to the windshield, the design of the fairing and many other variables that will affect the wind flow around the body work.

Hint: undisturbed, smooth flowing air is called "fair", hence the word fairing to describe motorcycle bodywork. In other words, trying to create "fair" air rather than the myriad of vortices, etc, caused by the protrusions (frame, engine, suspension, wheels, handlebars, rider, etc.) of the standard motorcycle.

You could try it, but why not see if there isn't someone nearby who has a V-stream, Cee Baileys or other brand windshield that comes with a "flip" or "flair" inherent in the design. I've let other owners try my windshields on their Gen I bikes before they spent their hard-earned farkle funds.

There's a list of windshield providers at the bottom of this thread.

If you use a heat gun on it you will most likely end up with a wrinkled up mess. The stock shield is two layers, a thin hard shell over a thicker base. Usually plastic shields are formed by heating the entire sheet of plastic in an oven and letting it form over a molded shape.

I think Madmike2 has got the best advice.

Has anyone tried bending the top of the stock windshield to make a lip. My stock V-strom windshield has much better protection than my stock '05 FJR shield and it has the top inch or so bent to vertical. I think this helps the V-strom shield do away with the turbulents that knock my head around on the FJR with the shield in the up position. Since the stock shield is practically useless, I thought I might be able to help it. What do you think?
I say go for it! However, I don't think it will work and you will wind up with a ruined, cracked, clouded, wrinkled and broken piece of plastic. If you do, please post some pics for the rest of us to enjoy. :lol:

I've bent a lot of plastic so will throw in a couple of thoughts. Could be done, but if you've never done something like this before, there is a good chance you're going to make something you won't be proud of.

First, you'll need to get the area to about 375-380 degrees and some of the heat guns can get there. But you need to have pretty good control of the temperature. You also want the temp to be even or you are adding stress to the plastic and over time, you'll get areas that craze, especially if you leave the bike outside a lot in a sunny area. I never looked that close at my stock windshield, but if it is a 2-layer product, getting even heat through it from a gun will take a while.

You need to have something to mold it to. Otherwise, the plastic will sag wherever it and gravity want to take it. If you are trying to just heat and bend with fingers (hopefully with thick leather gloves), you're going to make a mess, because it will take impressions every place a finger touches the softened plastic. Also, acrylic will try to shrink when heated, so again be prepared for it.

Laminar lips and aftermarket shields are what most people go with, and for good reason.

I found that the stock shield directed a lot of dirty air directly into my face in the

lowered position, and not very effective in the upper position.

So, I cut 3 inches off the top which cleaned up the air a lot (clean air from the

shoulders up) while down. Than I built a removable 3" deflector, mounted vertically which

is an improvement while the shield is up.

shield.jpg

Thanks for all of your information and suggestions. I currently have a short CB windshield that is a big improvement over the stock shield and I was going to buy a new oversized shield, so I thought if I screwed up the stock one I would just cut it off and make a really short one for 100 degree weather. By the way, if any of you are in the Nashville area and wouldn't mind me trying your oversized shield, I would love to do that.

My V-strom shield is at least as far away as my FJR shield and gives very good protection with no buffeting and I just thought the difference might be the flip.

Thanks again,

Bill

Just make sure when you try, you leave enough "good shield" below your experiment to cut it down after you see the result!

Be carefull that you dont heat it to fast. I work with plastics. When you heat it up it needs to be slow and even. Too fast and too hot your winshied will start to form bubbles and will look like s#@t.

My guess is that you'll find this to be difficult if for no other reason than you're attempting to induce a second curvature at right angles to a previously existing one. If the windshield were flat, what you're wanting to do would still be challenging in a home workshop, but when you start talking 'compound curves' I can't help but think you're going to compound your difficulty also. Just my 2cents...

I decided to just buy a VStream and cut down the original. It was going to be more trouble than it was going to be worth. I got the VStream for $130 delivered and didn't spend a day working on it. I figured I would have to make a form to hold the top of the shield without putting uneven pressure on it and a guide to give it a curve when I bent it -- it was just going to be a lot of work.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions and advice.

Bill