Cycle World Feb 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
They've got a Sport-Touring Shootout: Ducati Multistrada 1200s v. Honda VFR1200 v. C14 v. Triumph Sprint GT. FJR was not included as they state it's unchanged and previously lost to the C14. Results: C14 1st, Triumph 2nd, Duck 3rd, VFR last...

So where's the FJR? Turn to the next article, "Going the Distance." A story on endurance rallying. All the pics are of a 2009 FJR AE farkled out, the author's (Alan Rider) ride.

It's a good issue if you happen to see it on the newstand.

They've got a Sport-Touring Shootout: Ducati Multistrada 1200s v. Honda VFR1200 v. C14 v. Triumph Sprint GT. FJR was not included as they state it's unchanged and previously lost to the C14. Results: C14 1st, Triumph 2nd, Duck 3rd, VFR last...So where's the FJR?
So..., where do al'y'all think that leaves the FJR?

Certainly 2nd to the C-14 (at least according to CW). But, it must then be (somehow?) comparable to the Sprint GT, MST1200S, or VFR1200?

Or has the FJR been left, hopelessly, behind...? :unsure:

(or relegated to an endurance rally mount...?)

Last edited by a moderator:

Certainly 2nd to the C-14 (at least according to CW). But, it must then be (somehow?) comparable to the Sprint GT, MST1200S, or VFR1200?

Or has the FJR been left, hopelessly, behind...? :unsure:
The FJR may be a bit behind the 2010 C14...but not by much. Give the FJR an inverted fork, better shock, and larger saddlebags and it would be very comparable to the C14...not quite as good in some attributes, better in others.

Relegated to the back corner, next to the ST1300, where it will gather dust.

We have to face the fact that, while still competative, it IS a ten year old design.

Without a significant update progress will leave it behind.

Change, or die.

Granted the VFR ended up last... but I still don't see one as a sport-touring bike when it doesn't even come with bags. I think a KLR-650 might qualify as sport-touring with "categories" that lax.

Of course the C-14's going to be first, with all its neat-nifty-gee-whiz gadgets to report on, just like people are going nuts over the latest Ninja sportbike with all the maps, traction/wheelie control, etc. That's just like they went nuts over the Honda NT-650GT Hawk, never mentioning the nerfed gutless engine.

The FJR may be a bit behind the 2010 C14...but not by much. Give the FJR an inverted fork, better shock, and larger saddlebags and it would be very comparable to the C14...not quite as good in some attributes, better in others.
Actually... I think that's the best idea for improving the FJR I've heard yet!

Actually... I think that's the best idea for improving the FJR I've heard yet!
+100 - Those are the kind of changes that I could get behind. And it wouldn't require a major expensive redesign by Yamaha to get them.

Not standard heated grips, cruise control, fly by wire / traction control or key-less ignitions. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Where the FJR ends up , is pretty well defined by the market. Both bikes sell new at very comparable street prices. I think the FJR edges out the C-14 slightly as the bike ages, and by a significant margin when ABS is available in the older FJRs and not the Concours before 2008. Recent years have seen the Kaw continue to get technology upgrades, some of which have had a tough history (KiPass), but overall it has embraced change we haven't seen in the FJR recently. I don't think it makes the bike irrelevant, but at least one publication has decided there is nothing new to report.

I agree with a lot of points here. You can't really argue with them not having a bike in a shootout that just hasn't changed since a prior shootout. In reading that review, I'd definitely go with the C14 if it were my money on a new one of the four, but they really liked the Triumph and I'm sure I could be happy on one of those too.

They had a good quote on the high-strung Duck motor, saying that motor's favorite thing to do was "change rpm" meaning the power is there but it isn't happy holding steady speeds. The Honda didn't just finish last--they really put it way to the back--and it's a lot of money.

We have to face the fact that, while still competative, it IS a ten year old design.

Without a significant update progress will leave it behind.

Change, or die.
That may be true in motorcycle marketing, and in other's view of the FJR :huh: ...

...but damn, everytime I get on mine and head to places out yonder, I have the time of my life. :D

The only way you are getting mine is to pry it from my COLD. DEAD. HANDS.

Don't even think about it.

That may be true in motorcycle marketing, and in other's view of the FJR :huh: ...

...but damn, everytime I get on mine and head to places out yonder, I have the time of my life. :D

The only way you are getting mine is to pry it from my COLD. DEAD. HANDS.

Don't even think about it.
For the most part I couldn't agree more; the FJR may be the best

bike I will ever own.

Perhaps I should have said: Unless Yamaha updates the FJR,

it will languish on the showroom floor, as buyers are attracted to

more modern designs.

Rider magazine also had a ST shoot out a few months ago, where C14 was picked unanimously. I do not disagree it is a good bike, but in all these shoot outs commonly omitted part is the range, and just for that I would still pick FJR, it simply is not fun fueling every 180 miles. It is a very un-upgradable part of any bike and is an essential requirement of any touring machine in my opinion. A cruise control is all I could ever ask for the FJR.

Perhaps everything is not equally evaluated.

The FJR was Revamped in 2003, while the Connie remained steady for a full 20yrs.

They did not develop their new design until 2008, a Full 5yr models later than the FJR.

They stumbled a bit with issues with the C14, heat; $$maintenance; $$fuel, $$servicing.

They appear to have it right by most accounts for 2010 model (at least heat), so that was 2yrs;

really making it 7yrs to trump the FJR in head to head comparison.

The FJR, in 03', redefined the category of "Super Sport Touring", so I think it's only fair they

ride this for a minimum of 10yrs, before tweaking a already "Revolutionary" Design.

Someone, not having looked at the "Sport Touring Category" would not notice too much dated difference

between the 2 bikes or any of the other ST models.

So, It's stiff competition in a tough economy, so why would Yamaha hedge themselves so soon, when

they are competing just fine; however they will do some serious refinements, when they feel we are willing to pay for it.

I'm riding again, so it's all good to me!

Granted the VFR ended up last... but I still don't see one as a sport-touring bike when it doesn't even come with bags.
Well, actually, it does (I even saw one at the show):

Honda%20VFR%201200%2010.jpg

I think a KLR-650 might qualify as sport-touring with "categories" that lax.
Good point: does fitted luggage a sport-tourer make? :unsure:

I've ridden KLRs (both on-road and off-road) and have always felt that they make a nice mid-size sport-tourer (much more so than a dirt-bike...).

There's much, readily available, good hard-luggage that can make many motorcycles into sport-touring bikes.

Of course the C-14's going to be first, with all its neat-nifty-gee-whiz gadgets...That's just like they went nuts over the Honda NT-650GT Hawk, never mentioning the nerfed gutless engine.
True, the editors (kind of) box themselves in when deciding what to write about -- new features sure would seem to be the easy way to go...? :unsure:

And..., I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the Hawk GT -- I never got what all the hoop-la was about -- a sporting motorcycle needs a MOTOR... :eek:

(I think the VFR1200 has the "motor" issue under control...? :unsure: ;) )

The Honda may look good, but I'll go ahead and put the FAIL stamp on it. As per the test:

1. The position is more "Sportbike", high feet low wrists. This is a serious problem for the "touring" part of the equation.

2. Despite the "sport" ergos, the bike does not handle well as a sportbike. I believe the test thought all the others handled better.

3. They tested the Auto-tranny model. Result: Slowest bike of the test in everything, including the quarter.

4. Cost. With those bags, you're into BMW territory, but without the nice luxury stuff the bimmers have.

Put this one in the bin with the DN01, Rune and Fury. Sad, because the V4 Motor is very cool.

I cant believe the KLR650 is even in this discussion. Who in their right mind would tour cross country on that thing?

Granted the VFR ended up last... but I still don't see one as a sport-touring bike when it doesn't even come with bags.
Well, actually, it does (I even saw one at the show):

Honda%20VFR%201200%2010.jpg

It does NOT come with luggage. The one you saw at the show and the bike pictured here has a few thousand dollars worth of optional equipment. Here's what I see on the bike pictured:

All Accessories:

Centerstand 08M50-MGE-100 $249.95

Color-Matched Rear Trunk 08L55-MGE-110 $599.95

Color-Matched Saddlebags 08L51-MGE-110 $1,399.95

Low, Narrow Seat 08R50-MGE-100D $249.95

Rear Carrier 08L42-MGE-100 $399.95

Rear Trunk Pad 08F75-MGE-100 $99.95

Windscreen Deflector 08R80-MGE-100 $249.95

+ GPS between the bars $1,000?

+ GPS mount $100?

Base VFR1200 $15,995

Accessories $ 4,350

Total: $20,345

DCT VFR1200 $17,499

Accessories $ 4,350

Total: $21,849

I cant believe the KLR650 is even in this discussion. Who in their right mind would tour cross country on that thing?
Uh, that's kind of my point there... I'm saying the VFR has horrible ergos for a S-T, and no bags or anything else to make it "touring". The KLR is a lot more comfy, has better bags available, and has demonstrated the ability to go from Florida to Alaska already. Anyway, some fruitcake DID cross-country on a CBR-600 (or maybe a ZX-6?) in Motorcyclist a year ago.