Cycle World Feb 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure how the Connie KiPASS works but I looked at a Salvage Ducati a few weeks ago and they have 1 red and 2 black keys. The keys are programmed to the gages and ecu. You have to have the red key to program a new black key. Lose the red key and you have to ship ALL of the electronics off to get them reprogrammed or buy new ones. Needless to say the salvage bike did not have any keys and it make it a deal breaker. Makes that $100 bill from the lock smith to cut a new key look real cheap.

I will try to be nice, that is one ugly bike with the bags on and the pipe on it looks even worse than most of the honda line up. What were they thinking
Glad you weren't trying to be cruel, but I have to agree. Honda F'ed that one up pretty good.

So... How 'bout those Triumphs? :unsure:
I like Triumphs and most other bikes but Honda has went for the ugly pipe competition for a lot of years now. Pipes can be replaced. It does seem I always end up back on a Yamaha.

Not sure how the Connie KiPASS works but I looked at a Salvage Ducati a few weeks ago and they have 1 red and 2 black keys. The keys are programmed to the gages and ecu. You have to have the red key to program a new black key. Lose the red key and you have to ship ALL of the electronics off to get them reprogrammed or buy new ones. Needless to say the salvage bike did not have any keys and it make it a deal breaker.
True dat. Just witnessed this at the local Duc dealership a few weeks ago on an 04' ST3. Costs were around $3,000 :dribble: . Somehow, the lucky fooker got his insurance company to cover it. To my knowledge, Ducati doesn't use this system anymore, but I may be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant believe the KLR650 is even in this discussion. Who in their right mind would tour cross country on that thing?
Anyway, some fruitcake DID cross-country on a CBR-600 (or maybe a ZX-6?) in Motorcyclist a year ago.
I was that fruitcake in 1972, Crash, I did a cross-country on a CB 500/4. Thirty three states, two provinces in Canada and a couple in Mexico...15,000 miles in all and I was totally unprepared. Had a fabulous time however and would love to do it again on my FJR...

I cant believe the KLR650 is even in this discussion. Who in their right mind would tour cross country on that thing?
Anyway, some fruitcake DID cross-country on a CBR-600 (or maybe a ZX-6?) in Motorcyclist a year ago.
I was that fruitcake in 1972, Crash, I did a cross-country on a CB 500/4. Thirty three states, two provinces in Canada and a couple in Mexico...15,000 miles in all and I was totally unprepared. Had a fabulous time however and would love to do it again on my FJR...
Actually, a 125cc BSA Bantam is enough:

Clicky: Peggy Iris Thomas (and dog) tour North America

Not sure how the Connie KiPASS works but I looked at a Salvage Ducati a few weeks ago and they have 1 red and 2 black keys. The keys are programmed to the gauges and ecu. You have to have the red key to program a new black key. Lose the red key and you have to ship ALL of the electronics off to get them reprogrammed or buy new ones. Needless to say the salvage bike did not have any keys and it make it a deal breaker. Makes that $100 bill from the lock smith to cut a new key look real cheap.
[
offtopic.gif
but possibly of interest]

The UK FJRs are set up similarly. They come fitted with an immobiliser system that deactivates when they "see" one of the keys when the ignition is turned on. Yamaha issue warnings about having more than one key on your fob when turning on the ignition (presumably the two keys would respond with individual codes at the same time and would confuse the receiver).

On my '06 I had to have the ignition switch replaced because of a mechanical issue (key wouldn't always go in sufficiently). They had to change the engine ECU (which is factory "tuned" to the red key). Luckily all under warranty.

If you lose a black key, you can get another with its built-in transponder from Yamaha for mega money, you then have to teach the ECU the new black key's code (and re-teach it the old key's) using the red key.

Simple advice for those with the immobiliser: Don't lose any of your keys, and keep your red one in a very secure location.

When I'm away from home I usually carry my spare black key; if I did lose my "prime" key, the bike would be truly immobilised.

However, unlike the rumours of the KiPASS system, I've never heard of any problems with the Yamaha immobiliser refusing to work.

[edit] Just seen CC's post below, I believe the Yamaha's key is a true transponder and has no battery [/edit]

[/
offtopic.gif
]

Makes that $100 bill from the lock smith to cut a new key look real cheap.
I don't know anyone with keyless bikes, but a friend has one of those keyless Infinitis. The battery in her fob just died, and it's non-replaceable. The dealer wanted nearly $600 for a new one, and she was able to get by with $280 at a locksmith, and it took 6 weeks for it to show up. So essentially she paid $280 for a battery that's probably a $5 item at most. Does the C-14 have the same issue?

I don't know anyone with keyless bikes, but a friend has one of those keyless Infinitis. The battery in her fob just died, and it's non-replaceable. The dealer wanted nearly $600 for a new one, and she was able to get by with $280 at a locksmith, and it took 6 weeks for it to show up. So essentially she paid $280 for a battery that's probably a $5 item at most. Does the C-14 have the same issue?
No, C14's FOB is a $3 battery that is easy to replace...and isn't even necessary to start the bike if you hold the FOB next to the KiPASS. The 2010 model comes with a mini-FOB that doesn't even have a battery.

Oh, I've got one better than that. Last summer my brother in law rode his Suzuki DR650 dual sport with after market gortex saddle bags from Bangor , ME to Ohio , then to Indiana, then through Nashville to Birmingham and finally stopping to see me in Atlanta befor heading back home. 3500 miles in about 12 days. This was his third trip down to Atlanta in 2010 on three different bikes. The first two being a BMW 1150 followed by a Suzuki SV1000. He had a gel seat pad and said he was just fine. Cruised at 80 with no problems. Now, this man is a MC fanatic.

Actually, a 125cc BSA Bantam is enough:

Clicky: Peggy Iris Thomas (and dog) tour North America
+1, GUNNY! My 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Mi Mexico Mule 2", a puke green FAST one, has been to the Western Provinces of Canada and as far South as Morelia, Mexico. I still think the KLR is one of the coolest and most reliable machines made!

https://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i177/seamus85304/Mexico%20Bahia%20Kino%20Feb%2015%20to%2018/?albumview=slideshow Slide show of Mi Mexico Mule 2 and Papa Chuy Viejo on an AZ Beemers Club Ride to Bahia Kino, Sonora Estado, MEXICO back in 2008. What a PARTY!

Mas Caminos y Mas Amigos! Ai, Fiesta! Mas Cervezas, Mas Comidas, Mas Tequila y Mas Fiestas ese!

I've got a couple thousand $ to pay off my '10 FJR, but when it's paid for this spring, I'm seriously considering picking up a KLR to add to the stable. They are cool bikes and perfect for poking around all the dirt roads, trails, and county roads around my area. I could have a blast on one I know.

They can come out with all the new bikes with the newer technology all they want. I've been riding my 2006 FJR-AE for 4 and a half years now. It was tops then and still tops in my book. Still runs as good as it did when it was new. I'll ride her till she die or till I die (which ever comes first).

https://profile.imageshack.us/user/qmotion/

I've got a couple thousand $ to pay off my '10 FJR, but when it's paid for this spring, I'm seriously considering picking up a KLR to add to the stable. They are cool bikes and perfect for poking around all the dirt roads, trails, and county roads around my area. I could have a blast on one I know.
https://www.klr650.net/ mab864, when you get your KLR, join this site; tons of great information on setting up and maintaining your KLR. Great KLR Ride Reports too!

So..., where do al'y'all think that leaves the FJR?
Relegated to the back corner, next to the ST1300, where it will gather dust.

We have to face the fact that, while still competative, it IS a ten year old design.

Without a significant update progress will leave it behind.

Change, or die.

well said

look at Ducatis

https://www.klr650.net/ mab864, when you get your KLR, join this site; tons of great information on setting up and maintaining your KLR. Great KLR Ride Reports too!

Thanks for the link. A buddy and me DS my KTM EXC 450 and his KLR 400 a couple of years ago. We did the Baja Designs DS kits, and boy did the guys at DMV give us some funny looks. But we had everything on the bikes so he gave us the plates. Now DMVs in our area won't do that anymore and a bike has to be DS from the factory. Man we rode those bikes like crazy and had an absolute blast for a couple years. Neither bike was a real DS and were mostly dirtbikes. A dedicated DS bike with minimal wind protection, some cargo capability, and of course a wider thicker seat would be awesome. I'm starting to get kinda excited about this idea. I'm trying to keep my farkling to a minimum on the FJR so I can get it paid off sooner and save a few $ for the KLR.

I read quite a few Concours14 and KIPASS comments in this thread. I can tell you that I now own my 2010 FJR after owning a C14. The main reason I don't own the C14 anymore is because of the KIPASS system. I owned the bike for 3 years and nothing but trouble with the KIPASS system. People at the beginning had different problems including electrical replacement's. But by far the most problems come from a stuck activation switch that renders the KIPASS useless. There are workarounds that work most of the time. They include splicing in a switch that can be used to disrupt the system upon failure. This allows you a couple of seconds to turn the key switch before it locks again. (of course it must have a recognized fob to allow the activation). This must be done every time it fails until the switch activation switch is addressed!

The second work around is the same as the first if you didn't splice in a interruption circuit. You must take apart the bike somewhat. On the 08-09 you must remove the glove box and left side filler panel. It also is pretty much nessasary to remove the windshield as well to get to the push rivet for the left filler panel. Then in the wiring harness, there is the only grey connector in the bunch. You must disconnect (interrupting the circuit) and then reconnect the connector. You then have a couple of seconds to turn the key switch on. It is very close on time, but do-able!

The third method is known affectionately as the K-Rock. That is when you find a rock or other hard, item to beat on the left side of the ignition housing, trying to jar the activation switch loose. I recommend using a rag to protect the housing when hitting it with the rock. Otherwise the housing will be damaged with marks from the rock!

The activation switch itself is outside the ignition switch itself, but under the switch housing in the 9 o'clock position. Using a lubricant like silicone spray often helps keep the activation switch working.

Another problem with the KIPASS system is that you have to troubleshoot the KIPASS system first when ever the switch doesn't work. So something as simple as a loose battery connection or a bad battery, cannot be found like on a normal keyed bike. You just can't turn on the key and find out the bike won't start because of a battery problem. With KIPASS you have to troubleshoot KIPASS first to find out if it's KIPASS or a power problem!

KIPASS requires to have the identifying fob to operate. If you loose both of the fobs, you must replace all of the KIPASS recognition parts. That could cost well over $1,000. If you only have one fob on you, and loose that, your all done. There is no hiding a spare key. You must have a second fob or fob card as your back up at all times. So basically you should always carry two fobs as a just in case situation. With a normal switch, a $5 spare key in your wallet would suffice.

So back to my C14 and KIPASS. My KIPASS failed within a couple of months of brand new (fall of 2007) it started acting up, but I managed to get it going. Then it failed and a trailer from about 50 miles from home was required. OF course the Kawasaki dealer could not verify the problem and wasn't allowed to do anything about it. The KIPASS hiccuped now and then over the next couple of years, but the K-rock and a liberal dousing of Silicone spray seemed to get it going again. That went on until June 2010. Then it starting giving me trouble, and the normal workarounds were not working as good. So I was going to take it back to the dealer again. So that day, on the way to work (I was going to drop it off later in the day) it failed again. I just fueled up and that was it. I had the bike torn apart trying everything to get the bike going, to no avail. I was late for work and the bike required a trailer again. But this time it failed for the dealer. So it was verified finally after almost three years.

Well wouldn't you know that Kawasaki refused to replace the switch, even though this had been a problem since brand new. Kawasaki instead instructed the dealer to clean and lube the parts that were failing when clean and lubed from the factory when brand new! Well that was the final nail in the C14's coffin.

The C14 has also been plagued by brake rotors warping over and over for some. The TPS (tire pressure sensors) system has been plagued by bad sensors that are just plain bad, or the batteries start to die very early and when ever it's cold out. Some have had drive shaft issues that required replacements. There have been various recalls for little things. One for the rear brake sticking on because of rocks getting stuck in the rear master cylinder. Unfortunately the plate they now put over it allows rocks to be trapped and holds them in place creating the same problem they tried to fix. Then the best one is that the panniers are known to just fly off the bike while riding, resulting in lost or damaged bags. Kawasaki dosen't seem cover this either. Guys are pinning their bags trying to keep them on the bike.

My bike never lost a pannier or had drive shaft problems. But it did have more KIPASS trouble than probably any other. It also had warped rotors, TPS problems and the recall items as well. I can say without a doubt that I had more trouble with my Concours14 than all other bikes I've owned over 30 years put together. I traded it in on my 2010 FJR and have no regret. And given the option of a 2011 FJR or 2011 C14, I would still take the FJR.

The C14 is a great bike to ride. But it is very similar to the FJR. I like some things better about both of them. But I also like things worse about each bike as well (obviously). But IMO the FJR is a better built bike. The build quality is IMO better than the C14. I have had mine for about 6 months and 6,000 miles. In that time the FJR has been flawless. Although most will say it should be (and I agree). But in the same time frame with my C14, I had already had numerous KIPASS strandings. And one resulted in needing a trailer to get it home.

So although the FJR has not been in updated recently. Was not included in the magazine comparisons. I find it still to be very good competition for the other bikes. It's a bike that doesn't rely on gimmicks to sell the bike. It's a well built, tried and true sport tour. One that does everything either almost as good or better than the competition. So I don't really care than the C14 is picked as a better bike by the magazines. I rode over 20,000 miles on one and 6,000 on my FJR. And I can tell you that the C14 is better at some things and worse at others. They are both great bikes. But I'll take the more nimble FJR over the C14. And that would probably be the same even if my C14 wasn't such a poor quality motorcycle! The FJR being more cost effective for maintenance also helps sway my vote.

Please take what I said with a grain of salt. For most of it is just my opinion, as others may be different.

The FJR is a very fine bike but Yamaha is allowing it to die a slow & certain death. As some have said it has been almost 10 years without major changes it is a very competitive world and you either keep up or continue to fall behind and die a slow death. If Yamaha plans to continue to be competive in the Sport touring market they had better do something very soon they are being out classed and there is no need for this to happen. WAKE UP Yamaha or have the courtesy tell your customers you are leaving the Sport touring market.