Cycleport Fading

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FjrVfr

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone other than myself (and FatNakedGuy - could this be a Utah thing?) has experienced extreme fading of their Cycleport (Motoport) gear. Like so many others I love the Ultra II with it's Keprotec material and excellent breathability but I'm wondering if there's any way to keep these suckers from fading so much.

Below are some pictures of my jacket. I've tried to show a contrast between areas that are less exposed to the sun and those that are always exposed. I've had it about 14 months now and 15K miles. I never leave the jacket on the bike or in the sun in any way. It's been washed 4 or 5 times and has been treated with "303 Fabric Guard" that Wayne recommends after every wash. At this rate, I'll look like Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever" before next season. I have Ultra II pants in the gray color and those still look pretty good even though they're a year older than the jacket.

It's probably too late for me but if there's a trick to keeping the Hi-Viz, high vis then I'm sure others would benefit. I'm not sure I'd go for the visibility option again if it's just goin' down the road and fadin' away (and feelin' bad).

Jacket1.jpg

Jacket2.jpg

Jacket3.jpg

Jacket4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly... yes. :( I have the Air Mesh, black with Hi Viz accents. Although not as bad as yours, the Hi Viz is fading on the shoulders and those areas which get the most sun. Age and mileage are about the same, also treated with 303 after washing.

--G

Have you contacted Wayne about this issue? Aren't those supposed to be warranteed for like seven years?

That looks a lot like how my first Hi-Viz Aerostitch Darian faded. It looked great when brand new, but it only took 6 weeks of commuting to fade noticeably. Fortunately for me Aerostitch offered recall for replacement due to color fade. Evidently the dye in the flourescent Hi-Viz isn't UV stable at all. It's been about a year now and my replacement Yellow Stitch is still yellow - DIRTY but yellow.

Next time you wash you may want to throw in some Rit fabric dye. Better yet, try tying knots in the suit before dying it.

I bet it would look great in Tie-Dye...
shirt%20lockup.jpg

Anything would look better than faded greenish dirty white.

Just a thought.

:tomato2:
Brodie

Most of the forum reviews I read talked about the fading issue. That is why I went with all black--I was afraid of the hi viz turning piss yellow, the red turing pink or the blue turing into baby blue. I did not like the silver. 303 will help, if maintained early on, but nothing can halt the effects of the sun.

I have the gray and treat it with the 303. So far so good. Black is not the color if you're riding in hot weather due to greater heat absorption. Studies I read show a black helmet is 10 to 15 degrees hotter in the sun than a white or silver helmet.

I have the gray and treat it with the 303. So far so good. Black is not the color if you're riding in hot weather due to greater heat absorption. Studies I read show a black helmet is 10 to 15 degrees hotter in the sun than a white or silver helmet.
Wayne did a study on the colors of the kevlar fabrics and heat related to the sun. He found that their was no temperature difference in the colors when left out in the sun.

Wayne has a study for everything.

The black mesh is black in color, but it does not get hot like a black car or helmet.

Don't know why, it is just that way.

I had really considered upgrading my gear to Aerostich/Cycleport, but this is a major concern. Why buy the best gear in high-viz when it won't be in such short order? I understand that the abrasion resistance on this gear is very high. But I'd rather not get hit than test that. Commuting in the city, I feel vastly safer in this really ugly color, and it's available in seemingly very adequate, much cheaper gear (Olympia, Fieldsheer, etc.)

Am I wrong about this? I'd really like to see an answer to this fading issue. Mine seems to be holding up fairly well after a year.

I am going with black. Placed my order for the jacket last week.

you now know to not buy another one..... think positive.
I do not understand what you are trying to say? :huh:

Johnny ~ I think the quote above was directed to the OP, just sayin! :rolleyes:

Don
I was not upset I just didn't get it. I still don't.

I had really considered upgrading my gear to Aerostich/Cycleport, but this is a major concern. Why by the best gear in high-viz when it won't be in such short order? I understand that the abrasion resistance on this gear is very high. But I'd rather not get hit than test that. Commuting in the city, I feel vastly safer in this really ugly color, and it's available in seemingly very adequate, much cheaper gear (Olympia, Fieldsheer, etc.)
Am I wrong about this? I'd really like to see an answer to this fading issue. Mine seems to be holding up fairly well after a year.
I'll take the protection over the look any day. A yellow helmet will get attention. a Black Cycleport Jacket and pants will give you protection.

If their blind ass does not see the motorcycle

They probably won't see the yellow jacket either :angry: