Cycleport Fading

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the replies. Toe - I have not contacted Wayne yet but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try. I thought I'd see if mine was an odd-ball case first.

The black mesh is black in color, but it does not get hot like a black car or helmet.Don't know why, it is just that way.
My black kevlar mesh does not feel as hot as, say a black tee shirt, in the sun. The Kevlar material does not absorb heat like even cotton.

If their blind ass does not see the motorcycle
They probably won't see the yellow jacket either :angry:
Unfortunately for us, these yahoos are looking for cars, not bikes. If they are looking at all,that is. As far as the gear and the farkles,I'm a live and let live kinda guy. If you feel better dressing yourself up like a giant banana,more power to ya! :lol:

Mike

Some days I wear a Hi-Viz lime green, Olympia mesh jacket. On those days, I see a lot of double-takes by drivers. They were going to pull out, and then changed their mind at the last minute. My jacket doesn't look faded (about 2 1/2yrs old) unless it's beside a new one. Has been washed about six times.

Dorky - but eye-catching!

Some days I wear a Hi-Viz lime green, Olympia mesh jacket. On those days, I see a lot of double-takes by drivers. They were going to pull out, and then changed their mind at the last minute. My jacket doesn't look faded (about 2 1/2yrs old) unless it's beside a new one. Has been washed about six times.

Dorky - but eye-catching!
B-b-b-but what if it isn't the jacket???????? :rolleyes:

[,I'm a live and let live kinda guy. If you feel better dressing yourself up like a giant banana,more power to ya! :lol:

Mike

;) :) :) :)

WHere could I buy that stuff the 303 ( I'm in Canada )
You could always mail order it from Wayne...don't know how much hassle it will be to ship across the border though. As an alternative, check your local boating and awning / canvas stores. The last bottle I picked up was from the former. Good Luck.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not like the color of the Hi Viz yellow Wayne was using when I bought my Cycleport gear at WFO in Park City. It was more Mustard than Hi Viz. So, I bought the Silver mesh jacket and throw a hi-viz safety vest over it. The safety vest is the same one the ferry worker use in Washington state. the build quality is good, not great but it is very bright and there is lots of reflective material for night riding. I know that both Yoshimura and Icon make very nice, "military" style safety vests and one day I am goning to upgrade to one of those. As for whether or not the hi-viz makes a difference, as one of the true veterans around here once remarked to me, "If, only once, it keeps someone from hitting me, it's worth wearing all the time."

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my cycleport jacket for just about a year, and can't see any fading at all. It gets worn every day to work and back (about 30 minutes ride time) so gets some sun. It's the black ultra II with hi-vis hilites (sleeve gussets and lower front pockets are hi-vis).

It's not showing any signs of fading anywhere, yet at least. First washing was just this past week to get the bugs off from a trip to Idaho...wonder if the washings have anything to do with the fading?

I notice a significant difference in other driver reaction when I wear the day glo. Fewer people my right turns out of side streets in front of me, and Penguin says, the double-takes are noticeable. Way worth wearing the high-viz, most importantly if you ride, as I do, in the city with a-hole Boston drivers.

I notice a significant difference in other driver reaction when I wear the day glo. Fewer people my right turns out of side streets in front of me, and Penguin says, the double-takes are noticeable. Way worth wearing the high-viz, most importantly if you ride, as I do, in the city with a-hole Boston drivers.
Didn't you know it's the jerk-off suburban drivers that screw everything up? :rolleyes: ;)

I grew up; and drove in Boston for a couple decades -- all REAL city slickers knew it wasn't us. :D

Having said that, if I was driving in cities regularly, I'd wear high viz up top at least. A study in New Zealand said white helmets are safest as cage drivers tend to see the (relatively) highly placed bright color better. I haven't seen any studies on clothing colors and safety -- others may be able to illuminate me (pun intended). But a faded high viz color defeats the purpose, no? Perhaps a silver that does not fade would accomplish both goals (safety and durability)?

A study in New Zealand said white helmets are safest as cage drivers tend to see the (relatively) highly placed bright color better.
I wear a white helmet, but no other visibility farkles beside HID headlights. I subscribe to the "impersonating an officer" look as being the best to freeze the cagers that extra tick that will give me the edge. If I ever paint my bike, it's going white as well....

A study in New Zealand said white helmets are safest as cage drivers tend to see the (relatively) highly placed bright color better.
I wear a white helmet, but no other visibility farkles beside HID headlights. I subscribe to the "impersonating an officer" look as being the best to freeze the cagers that extra tick that will give me the edge. If I ever paint my bike, it's going white as well....
I am putting checkers on mine when I paint it.

I saw a hi-viz yellow Goldwing near Sedona yesterday! Yep,that's right the entire bike was hi-viz yellow. Of course the rider was completely decked out in hi-viz also. There was definitely no chance of missing this guy. :p

Mike

+1 on looking like a LEO.

+2 on the white bike. That's the color I want to paint mine.