Cycleport Fading

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An update from Wayne (read from the bottom up). Apparently washing == bad. I wonder what mine would look like now if I'd never washed it. Probably not Hi-Viz...

Mark,

I think your right about the washing causing the material to fade quicker. All our materials have a Teflon coating applied. This Teflon coating will normally last 3 years on average. Washing the gear, even when done correctly, will cause this Teflon to dissolve. I'm sure that this is the main reason for the quicker fading with your jacket. The washing is the only thing you have done different than our other customers. The majority of our customers wash gear about once every two years or less.

Don't mind if you post my response. No need to omit my last name or email address.

Best regards,

Wayne

----- Original Message -----

To: Wayne

Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 7:15 PM

Subject: Re: Workflow Notification - Contact Us Form

Thanks for the reply Wayne.

Just to keep you updated I think I've followed those washing instructions to the letter. I have a front loader and only use the 'He' detergent (no bleach) on a cold/gentle cycle. As you said, the pattern of fading is a strong indication that it's not fading in the wash. It's possible the washing makes it more susceptible to the sun and elements but the fade pattern is certainly from wearing it while riding. My guess is that the higher altitude here in Salt Lake has a lot to do with it.

Would you mind if I posted your email and this reply to the FJR forum? (I'll be sure to omit your email address and last name if you'd prefer). It's not meant as a slam but I think it's something forum members might want to know. I'm still a huge fan of your products and would buy them again - it's just that if I'd seen the fading ahead of time I'd have gone with another color.

Thanks again,

Mark

--- On Fri, 8/28/09, Wayne <@earthlink.net> wrote:

Subject: Re: Workflow Notification - Contact Us Form

To: Mark

Date: Friday, August 28, 2009, 6:08 PM

Hi Mark,

Sorry to see how bad your jacket looks after only 15,000 miles.

The bright yellow in the Stretch Kevlar is our worst color/material for fading. I don't remember any of these bright yellow colors fading in 15 months. In worse case scenarios riders get at least 3 years or about 35,000 miles before the jacket looks like yours. I've seen many jackets in this color that have 15,000 or more miles that have never been washed and these jackets still look new. (Note: My comments are not intended to degrade you, where you ride, the dirty oily riding environment or how you take care of the jacket.)

The only time I've seen fading occur sooner is if the jacket is washed in warm/hot water. Warm or hot water used in the washing machine will cause immediate fading. When we received the first bright yellow Stretch Kevlar 16 years ago, the color would fade instantly when water used in washing was luke warm. The material dye used during the last 7 years works better but will still fade from extended UV exposure or washing it warm/hot water. (Note: Fading from washing usually will happen in different areas of the jacket. Your jacket appears to be more related to UV exposure. There also can be some fading caused from the washing.)

I'm sure this quicker fading could also be due to using harsh detergents. It is extremely important not to use any detergents that have bleach. Bleach will degrade Kevlar rapidly. Small things like using a front loading washing machine only, gentle cycle cold water only in the washing machine, hang to dry in the shade or ventilated bathroom, all help to prolong the bright yellow color. The next time the jacket is washed look at the water coming out of the machine after the wash cycle. If this water has any yellow tint, the washing is the main cause of fading.

I could not find anything other than Fabric Guard 303 that contained a UV Protecting element.

Best regards,

Wayne

I actually own the Black Mesh Kevlar. It has been washed in a top load maching in warm water about 4 times so far since owning it now for 2 years. I guess I was doing it all wrong, whoops. No fading yet, but again it's black so maybe that's the reason. My only complaint with the jacket is that I keep getting the damn zipper stuck in the flap (the one behind the zipper) and the constant fraying of sleeves. pockets etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
In light of the group buy I thought I should post current pictures of the jacket. It's now been roughly 15 months and 19,000 miles (and about 4 washings/treatments with 303 Fabric Guard). I have to give it a thumbs down in terms of "colorfastness."

Wayne suggested shoe dye and I'm afraid that's now my only option. Black is not what I had in mind when I purchased Hi-Viz (nor is it what I had in mind for a summer weight suit) but I don't think I have a choice. When I get it dyed I'll post results.

I'll add a comment in the group buy section with a link here.

Jacket5.jpg

Jacket6.jpg

Jacket7.jpg

This is my brother's 2 year old jacket that was purchased during WFO 2007. I'm really impressed with the protection it offers and will soon purchase their gear, but only in gray. That is pretty poor performance compared to my cheap icon vest that has only slightly faded over the last 65,000 miles.

new

IMG_3971.jpg

after 2 years

P1010889.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As per the instructions. Cold water, gentle cycle in a front loading washer using high-efficiency detergent (He - required by all front loaders as far as I know), hang dry. I've always treated it afterwards with 303 Fabric Guard as Wayne recommends.

It's hard for me to believe that washing is really the culprit since I always wash the pants and jacket together and the pants still look great (they're gray). In fact, the pants are a year older and have a lot more miles on them (in foul weather I sometimes wear them with my Roadcrafter jacket).

Damn, Alex - that is nasty.

It seems kinda strange looking in the pic's that the fading is random. I don't think it is the washing either. I have a tourmaster which the black is starting to fade from the sun mostly in the top areas. I just wash it for the first time in two years and after drying sprayed it with camp dry water repellent.

That is bad. Though I hear many sing the praises of Motoport, the fact that they are effectively not willing to do anything for you is just bad business. I guess we shouldn't be surprised considering that one of his main sources of income is down and has stayed down (web site). It doesn't take a Stanford MBA to figure out how foolish it is to allow that to continue. I sent a couple emails to Motoport a couple years ago interested in the same suit you've got. Never could get him to respond and ended up going with the Olympia. I guess I'm glad now that I see how he manages his business. He's either really rich and doesn't care about a simple concept called opportunity costs or a bit myopic. Look at it this way, with the way it looks now, it doesn't matter how you wash it or what chemicals Motoport recommends. In fact, it'll look better when it completely and uniformly fades.