Dammit, I'm smarter than that!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only issue is the Warranty. The shop that sells it to you will honor it..............Canada won't. It's a bit of a PITA but if you can save 6K or so, it's well worth the effort. Besides, importing the FJR into Canada is just a matter of paperwork!!! A few of us have done it and it's easy!!!!!!
I wonder if the extended warranty when purchased in the states is honoured for us poor frostbacks?

I'm sure I can get them down under 17 when it comes down to it. Still, thats a lot of change.

Think there is a thread about that somewhere, Yamaha USA and Yamaha CAN are two different companies or some such crap. Gist of was, the warranties don't cross.

PITA would be if you were in the other country on tour or something and ya needed service. NOW, that would BITE.

Can you buy an extended warranty in Canada for an imported bike? I don't see why a dealer would turn down your dollars.

Either way, very few FJR owners have made money on their Y.E.S. purchases. You're betting it will break, and Yamaha's betting it won't. The "Tick" is being repaired outside of warranty and, other than that, there are very few big-ticket issues so far.

Mine expires in August, and all it's gotten me so far is a fairing pocket latch. If it hadn't come with the bike, I would probably end up regretting the purchase. I imagine they make major bucks on selling those Y.E.S. policies....

Can you buy an extended warranty in Canada for an imported bike? I don't see why a dealer would turn down your dollars.
Either way, very few FJR owners have made money on their Y.E.S. purchases. You're betting it will break, and Yamaha's betting it won't. The "Tick" is being repaired outside of warranty and, other than that, there are very few big-ticket issues so far.
Me either, a bought warranty is a bought warranty. But warranty is just another form of insurance and it is a game. That being said, it might be the ticket for a Canuck buying a bike in the States. Their was another part to that $1500 promotion Yami has, you can go for Extended Warranty + 750 in accessories..

The funny bit was after I stopped in at the dealer, I stopped by XSCargo (chain that clears out crap) to pick up a shower head. Managed to pick one up for $9 which beats $65 by a wide margin. Anyway, the woman in front of me was buying this glass bathroom scale. It was $4.99. The cashier asks her if she wants a 2 year warranty on it for $9.99...

Right! She goes for it!! OMFG! I know how much retailers make on extended warranties, I used to work for Sears who made you push hard to seel them. Nearly 100% profit! But to buy a warranty on a piece of crap bathroom scale....

Newbie here. I am looking to trade in my 02 VTX Honda in for a 08 FJR at the multi dealer in Iowa. The MSRP here is $13,899. I haven't test ridden the FJR yet since the winter won't go away, just ogled it and sat on it. Just looking for encouragement from current owners(as if I need it !). Specifically, I am looking for previous owners of cruisers that have made the move to the FJR, and what you miss, or don't miss about the cruisers.

The only issue is the Warranty. The shop that sells it to you will honor it..............Canada won't. It's a bit of a PITA but if you can save 6K or so, it's well worth the effort. Besides, importing the FJR into Canada is just a matter of paperwork!!! A few of us have done it and it's easy!!!!!!
I wonder if the extended warranty when purchased in the states is honoured for us poor frostbacks?

I'm sure I can get them down under 17 when it comes down to it. Still, thats a lot of change.

Think there is a thread about that somewhere, Yamaha USA and Yamaha CAN are two different companies or some such crap. Gist of was, the warranties don't cross.

PITA would be if you were in the other country on tour or something and ya needed service. NOW, that would BITE.
Both companies will usually honour the other's warranty for out of country travelers. They just won't do it for those that import.

Newbie here. I am looking to trade in my 02 VTX Honda in for a 08 FJR at the multi dealer in Iowa. The MSRP here is $13,899. I haven't test ridden the FJR yet since the winter won't go away, just ogled it and sat on it. Just looking for encouragement from current owners(as if I need it !). Specifically, I am looking for previous owners of cruisers that have made the move to the FJR, and what you miss, or don't miss about the cruisers.
I rode a Shadow Spirit 1100 before my '03 became available. I had both of them for an overlap of about 10 months and only rode the Shadow a couple times after I got he FJR. Night and day riding position. The feet forward riding position just didn't feel at all natural after I hopped on the FJR. My back is in much better shape too. Long days on the FJR are nothing. They were back killers on the Shadow. I can't believe I did Ontario to west coast and back on the Shadow.

Yipes, guess I should have mentioned that. Sudbury specifically. $19,099 is full pin. Keep in mind this is just numbers off full pin. I believe the base figure was $18,700 - to which he added, "we can work from there, bring us in some competitive quotes and we can work with that number." Yami Canada has lowered the base sticker price down $900 from 07.
All that being said, their is a new 05 FJR in the Cycle Trader for $13.9. Their are other options as well.. buying one in Michigan (about 3 hour drive for me) and forgoing the warranty will save me HUGE bucks.

I still have 2 months to get things sorted out and shop some. It was just the first time I've seen the black 08 in the flesh - giggity!
I've been doing my shopping in Toronto. Best price I could do is $16.2 and change before taxes and licensing. That was with PDI/freight and admin all in along with the $1.5 incentive. They knew that I was shopping in Buffalo as part of the GTA group buy so they did what they could but they still need to make a few bucks on the deal and Yam-Can isn't giving them any flexibility. I can save $3300 net after taxes and registration so I'm buying across the river although my preference would be to buy locally. That differential will cover a bunch of nights in the hotel and let me travel a fair bit more than I might have otherwise.

Hey bogus, I came from riding a Shadow VT 760 (honda) and the difference is like night and day . If you can imagine the handling difference between a sports car and large truck. Thats what it is like. You have instantanious power and the riding position on the FJR is alot more comfortable. In the winter , I had wind all over my lower body on the honda , not so with the FJR. In riding in rain , the honda would give very little protection . The FJR gives alot better protection form the elements . The only down side from the FJR is the higher center of gravity . I am unable to back up on any incline. You sit alot higher off the road and don't have the leverage you would with a cycle that has a lower center of gravity like the honda. Matter of fact , I learned the hard way . I dropped my FJR on my driveway the first day I had it trying to back up a slight incline . It happened so fast!!. The FJR handles like a dream . One other thing , the cluch pull is stiff at first , but I hear from others it will loosen up with time. Overall I am very statified.

Newbie here...Specifically, I am looking for previous owners of cruisers that have made the move to the FJR, and what you miss, or don't miss about the cruisers.
Bogus,

Welcome to the forum! You'll get a lot more feedback if you start a new topic about your question. I used to have a POS AMF Harley. The FJR to a cruiser is like a Stealth Fighter compared to a cargo plane. If you're into nimble, quick, plenty of brakes and lots of range, it's a no-brainer. If you want to look cool showing up at the local hangout, you won't. They might even give you the stink-eye.

I've been doing my shopping in Toronto. Best price I could do is $16.2 and change before taxes and licensing. That was with PDI/freight and admin all in along with the $1.5 incentive.
If I may ask, who quoted you that price? I'm not up on dealers in T.O. anymore (I'm from there, bailed out in 79.. Jane 'n Finch OI!)

They might even give you the stink-eye.
I don't really care what anybody rides, wind is wind. But I've been the recipient of stink-eye before. Usually by brainwashed 55 yr old Harley guys whose bike have more miles on top of a trailer on its way to Sturgis than with its own tires turning.

A couple years back we hooked up with one of these guys on a ride to Manitoulin Island (a nice day run from here, we all do it about once a month). I swear this guy stopped 9 times, I don't think he exceed 50mph once and we actually watched him fixate on a guardrail a couple of times... The stupidest part was he went on all summer about 'Harleys are built for this, just like that time I was haulin ass to the island'.

"Ya, your a real wild hawg..." :D

So I've been lurking here for a couple months doing research 'n generally waiting patiently.
Early last Dec I went into my local dealer to have a look at the FJR. None in stock, talked to the sales guy for a bit, walked out with a brochure and was told they should have one on the floor sometime in Jan. Well I'm out running errands today and decide to stop in for a peek - fully expecting to NOT see the FJR on the floor.

Crap. Right at the front of the row of bikes, a beautiful new black 08. I shoulda turned and ran right then. Salesman see's me, remembers my face, or maybe it was the drool on the floor and the paint inside my pants, and comes over. Blah blah "Hop on" he says. Fack! I'm done for :dribble: .

Long story short, $1500 rebate (off the bottom) until the end of March which puts it around $17.4. I did manage to get out of there, sticky pants and all, without signing my life away but it was TOUGH. The decision has been made though, I will be back in there before the end of March to lock in the rebate and put a deposit down on it.

Now I've got two bikes to sell pronto!

-Steve
Same thing happened to me...although I bought mine on the spot. :) There was a ST1300, a Concours, and my bike all sitting next to each other on the floor. I knew I had to have the FJR. There was no contest.

Buy soon and enjoy.

Just a thought...

January is the cold month here. Dealers are hungry by January 31st. I would think that Great White North dealers stay hungry longer, but Feb. seems like a good time to offer them some food.

You might consider buying it now and spending a month adding farkles. It's at least as good as sex!

:)

Just got a quote saturday in Montreal area. Yamaha is giving an additional 1000$ on top of 1500$ this week only,due to bike show in Montreal next week. I got a quote of 14,300$ for a 2008 including transport and prep and this is Canadaian dollars.

Just got a quote saturday in Montreal area. Yamaha is giving an additional 1000$ on top of 1500$ this week only,due to bike show in Montreal next week. I got a quote of 14,300$ for a 2008 including transport and prep and this is Canadaian dollars.
Hum.. I think my bank manager just got a hard on. Dammit, I've got two bikes to sell first!.

Wow 17.4 does seem high the dealer here in maine has an 08 and wants 13 plus tax so less then 14 out the door is fjr going for that much everywhere else .
I know in conn they wanted full retail but never heard of retail plus .Just my 2 cents . :rolleyes:

Hey dstray which dealer was that in Maine ???

Smith Brother's in Oneota, AL (sp?) and the Cullman dealership have Black '08s in stock. No haggle price of $12,300 out-the-door (includes 4% AL tax). Seems that one was about $100 higher probably due to setup charges. Either way, those are two reputable shops. The D&H folks are extremely friendly and helpful. Why don't you fly down and ride it home. :)

Wow, that's a great price. I paid that much for an '06 with 10,500km on it last October! I wanted to scoop up the bike for one last ride before the snow fell or else I would have gone shopping in the US like mentioned earlier. I'm in the market for a slightly used pick-up truck and am planning on shopping down there for that. An '06 Honda Ridgeline would fit the bill (even though they are butt-ugly). :unsure:

:dribble:

James provided the dealer contact info so I called. If you're a Quebec resident jump on it. It doesn't apply to out-of-province buyers. The sales rep checked with Yamaha for me. I also had my local Toronto dealer check and there's no plan for a similar program in Ontario. Apparently it's to prop up sales in Quebec which has been hard hit by insurance/license cost increases.

Hey Bingie,

Hully Gully here in London Ontario has an '08 for 15,700 after all rebates. I checked it out last week. I won't be buying it but was pretty tempted at that price. With an '08 going for that price the '07 and '06 should be coming down in price for even greater savings.

DaveW