Dealers in chicago area

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85fj1100

Reaction score
I am looking to get an 08 FJR and was wondering about dealer experiences in the area.I live in westmont and am close to DGY,highlands yamaha, and a dealer in des plaines.A guy I work withs father is a salesmen at champion cycle in chicago.He called him and he said he could give me the bike for $12500.00 plus cook county tax which comes out to $13688.00 out the door.Good deal?That was with chicago taxes.I live in dupage county so that would work out to $13343.75.I have seen dealer invoice for the bike at $11842.00.Add sales tax for dupage county and you have $12641.00.To me this would be rock bottom no profit for the dealer.I went to highlands yamaha and the guy I talked to didn't know a thing about the FJR and didn't seem to care.I knew more about it then he did.Not a good sign.So bottom line who has experiences in the area and what do you think on the prices I threw out there?Way off base or in the ballpark?

P.S.

I have yet to ride the FJR.Who has had a good test ride experience at what dealer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think its possible to buy a bike or car in cook county and not pay cook co taxes, most expensive in state. Loads of people hate champion cycle & palitine power sports & chicago cycle.

see what price you'll get at neilsen (by lake villa / mundelion), then yamaha in elgin (make sure that part of elgin is not in cook co.).

For a no hassel test drive try woodstock yamaha ( cycle craft), west on I-90 to north rte 47, (but dont buy, their expensive, imo). Call first to see if they have an fjr, I know they had a used one acouple months ago.

Iggy, slim pickins for illinois dealer reviews in search

First of all, I don't know how I missed you, but I did. So...

welcome from Lemont.

Regarding your question, I know that as of a few weeks ago, my local dealer, Rich's Yamaha in Lockport (Will County), still had a new '07 on the floor. So if you were open to that, I'm sure they'd cut you a decent deal. They're a small dealer; few people even know of them, but I deal with them a lot and they're very good people to work with.

Don't know what they'd do on an '08, but it might be worth a call.

Good luck and if you're open to that '07, let me know BEFORE you contact them, so I can work 'em over a bit on price before you swoop in for the kill!!

Thanks for the info guys.I am set on an 08.Never had a brand new bike before.I guess the 07 would be new too but it's old to me.No one has dealt with DGY or the other dealers I mentioned?

I bought from DGY in Fall '03 before I ever heard of the internet Forums...so my bike price was higher than others. Don't know if they give a good deal now...I would doubt it. Service department - expensive.

I would check out D&H in Alabama and ride it back...that's what I will do for my next FJR after I get 150k or so on this thing.

No one has dealt with DGY or the other dealers I mentioned?
The only one you mentioned that I've dealt with is DGY. Never bought a bike from them but have purchased a few parts and maintenance items. I've also checked prices on light service items (tire changes, etc.) and I agree with Mark, they're a little more expensive than others.

If you already know what invoice is, then negotiating a decent deal shouldn't be too hard.....keeping in mind, of course, that a dealer is not a non-profit organization and will likely not sell you a new '08.....especially a popular '08.....for invoice. If you're looking for the absolute best price, like Mark said, D&H has THE best reputation. In fact a number of Chicago forum members (Jon and cougar8000, to name a few) have purchased from them.

If you don't want to travel that far, visit some of the dealers outside of Cook County. Face-to-face, you can do a better job of conveying your seriousness in buying. If you're purchasing YES, negotiate that into the deal and again, use that invoice figure as your baseline. Personally, I think six or seven hundred over invoice is a pretty decent price for a new '08.

Just got back from my first real ride of the year. Stopped at Rich's Yamaha to say hi and, FYI, I found out they JUST got in a new '08 FJR. They're located at 14354 South Archer, about a half mile west of I-355, in Will County. Not sure of tax rate; definitely lower than Cook Co.

I bought my 05 from Highlands Yamaha as well as a couple dirt bikes and a snowmobile over the years. And your right, the staff isn't super knowledgeable. But they have good prices on machines, as well as accessories. DGY has never impressed me. It's faster for me to go there from where I work so I buy parts and oil from them if I'm in a pinch. But they always seem to have that I don't give a s**t attitude. And they were well over a grand higher for the FJR when I was looking, and wouldn't budge on price.

Just another plug for Rich's Yamaha in Lockport, IL. Good people to deal with! Mike is their salesman and John handles service.

Joe

Thanks again guy's.Ridercoach lar I agree with your price .I don't have a problem giving them some profit.I just don't want to be raped.I am going out today to a couple of dealers to get a feel for them and try to narrow down a place I want to do business with.

I did a little recon today.I went to Rich's Yamaha in lockport and dupage Honda/Yamaha in west Chicago.I must say that I got a warm and fuzzy feeling from Rich's.It is a small place but I get the impression that it would be like family over there.I talked to 2 or 3 guy's and all were knowledgeable and helpful without any high pressure for a sale.As for dupage Honda /Yamaha the sales kid I talked to was also knowledgeable and helpful without pressure.It is a bigger and busier place but I still came away with a good impression.The sales kid told me to come back in a couple of weeks and they should have an 08 ready to test drive.He also said that as far as price nothing is written in stone so lets talk if you are serious.I'm just wondering who is going to come in with a better price.The bigger guy because he does more volume or the smaller guy because He really wants to make the sale.Any opinions?

A COUPLE OF WEEKS!?!? My opinion is if you ride one soon, you won't want to wait a couple of weeks to see who will give you the best price :glare:

My guess is one will match the other's price, or the difference will be negligible. Besides being so close, I like Rich's because it IS so small. I have a great rapport with Mike (sales), John (service) and Mark (parts). I've even met Rich himself (very interesting guy) and it does have that "family" feel you mentioned.....WAY more so than any other dealer I've ever dealt with. Have only stopped into Dupage to look around and that was several years ago.

I guess I'm a little late in this conversation, but I really like the guys at des Plaines. Small family owned biz. Bought my '08 for 11900. Been dealing with them for years, they're good people.

Tell 'em I sent ya.

oh yeah--in IL, you pay taxes based on where you register, not where you buy.

I dont think its possible to buy a bike or car in cook county and not pay cook co taxes, most expensive in state. Loads of people hate champion cycle & palitine power sports & chicago cycle.see what price you'll get at neilsen (by lake villa / mundelion), then yamaha in elgin (make sure that part of elgin is not in cook co.).

For a no hassel test drive try woodstock yamaha ( cycle craft), west on I-90 to north rte 47, (but dont buy, their expensive, imo). Call first to see if they have an fjr, I know they had a used one acouple months ago.

Iggy, slim pickins for illinois dealer reviews in search

In IL, you pay vehicle tax based on where the vehicle is registered, not where it is bought. So if you live in Cook, you pay. If you don't, you don't.

and +1 on champion and chicago. :asshat:

Is that $11900.00 out the door?Or is that $11900.00 plus tax?If that's out the door that's a fantastic price.Even if that is plus tax it is still a good price I think.I might have to check them out .Who did you talk to over there?I was going to start my offer at $11500.00 and go from there.Am I starting to high?

Is that $11900.00 out the door?Or is that $11900.00 plus tax?If that's out the door that's a fantastic price.Even if that is plus tax it is still a good price I think.I might have to check them out .Who did you talk to over there?I was going to start my offer at $11500.00 and go from there.Am I starting to high?
No no. 11900 plus tax. The guy to talk to is James. He's been there for 20 some odd years. I bought the first one in...not that I've been able to ride it much. Blew my knee out last week, waiting to not gimp around quite so bad...figures, just as the weather seems to be turning... :(

So you got it for $11900.00 plus tax.That is dealer invoice as far as I know plus tax.Did you pay any destination fees or set up fees?Did you get the Y.E.S. warranty?What are they offering it for?Thanks for all your help.Sorry to here about the knee.That sucks.Get well soon and get riding.

So you got it for $11900.00 plus tax.That is dealer invoice as far as I know plus tax.Did you pay any destination fees or set up fees?Did you get the Y.E.S. warranty?What are they offering it for?Thanks for all your help.Sorry to here about the knee.That sucks.Get well soon and get riding.
plus fees. grand total was 14K after Chicago taxes. oof. Could I have done better? Maybe, if I'd stuck at it. But they did agree to install some farkles for nada. I wanted to stay local, I like their service dept (ad an old Intruder that spent some time under their care), and I like the way they dealt with me.

I'm happy with what I got.

So come on, everybody tell me how badly I got ripped...