Dear Santa: I want an Ohlins shock!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Seriously, I've been a good boy this year. I should be on the 'Nice' list.
innocent.gif

And if that S.O.B. Santa is too big a bastard to bring me a new Ohlins shock, then maybe mi bastard step-pappy will buy me one! He seems to have extra money to throw away!

I REALLY want t new Ohlins shock for my POS Gen II 2009 FJR, but cripes they must make these things out of gold! Still, I was perusing one of my favorite online vendors, JC Motors, and found they are having a holiday sale on the Gen II version (YA707) for only $990 with free shipping!

https://www.jcmotors.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=14089&SEName=hlins-road-track-suspension-shock-absorber-type-s46hr1c1s-for-yamaha-fjr1300-06-09#.UMYI0qw8B8F

Aye Carumba! Temptation is an evil thing!

Truth be told, I am fairly happy with the stock suspension on my 09 FJR. I played with it and have it dialed in pretty good. Or perhaps I have just gotten 'used' to it. I didn't like it at first. Now it's fairly plush, and handles pretty well too. Doesn't seem to have the harshness I was initially complaining about. Only 8500 miles it though. It will wear out eventually.

That Ohlins would look REALLY good on it.

So hint, hint, bastard step-pappy! Now you know what you can get your FAVORITE illegitimate step-son for Christmas!
santa.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That is pretty good pricing on the -707. We had a vendor deal during EOM that was just a few dollars more (unless you were fortunate enough to will the door prize grand slam - right Magicmaker...).

Oh, well worth every penny - I figured that out on the ride home friday afternoon on my "new to me" '09 on bone stock suspenders. Yup, she's lined up in the service bay now, ready for a suspension-ectomy...

After buying a new FJR Pappa is now broke.

With 8500 miles on an 09 your FJR suspension is 1/2 wore out and your front forks need servicing. Pappa can put a quart of front fork oil in your stocking.

Pappa knows a new rear shock will require a fork upgrade to keep things in balance effectively doubling the costs.

I waited far too long to updgrade my 09 with a GP/Penske suspension. The old suspension was far too plush and the bike moved around way too much. With my GP/Penske setup handling is immensely improved - it does everything I need and nothing I don't - (like a bike moving all around in the middle of a turn.)

As for those who believe in Santa - please see this post.

The old suspension was far too plush and the bike moved around way too much. With my GP/Penske setup handling is immensely improved - it does everything I need and nothing I don't - (like a bike moving all around in the middle of a turn.)

That's the thing. I think my 09 with stock suspenders is pretty rock solid stable while leaned over in a corner. Even when hitting a bump.

Oh, and I see some Racetech Gold valves and springs in the FJR's future in the spring.
smile.png

[quote name=extrememarine" post="1022603" time="1355158756"]That is pretty good pricing on the -707. We had a vendor deal during EOM that was just a few dollars more (unless you were fortunate enough to will the door prize grand slam - right Magicmaker...). Oh, well worth every penny - I figured that out on the ride home friday afternoon on my "new to me" '09 on bone stock suspenders. Yup, she's lined up in the service bay now, ready for a suspension-ectomy...

Yep! I guess I WAS the fortunate one that day! I think that was a small pay back for being a good little boy my whole life. Well..... Almost my whole life!
popesmiley.png

The old suspension was far too plush and the bike moved around way too much. With my GP/Penske setup handling is immensely improved - it does everything I need and nothing I don't - (like a bike moving all around in the middle of a turn.)

That's the thing. I think my 09 with stock suspenders is pretty rock solid stable while leaned over in a corner. Even when hitting a bump.
Yeah I used to think the same thing. I deceived myself. One day while riding with forum member escapefjrtist I road his GP/Penske bike on a particular bit of twisty road I ride often. It took about 1/6 mile and 3 turns to feel the difference. His bike was planted to the road without all the rubbery feedback. The test ride over, I pulled up next to escapefjrtist and said you just cost me $1500.

With 30k on my FJR the stock suspension was completely shot. The new suspension while pricey was worth every penny and it will require annual maintenance but what the heck - cause it is worth it.

Does this mean you are actually considering keeping that POS?

I thought we agreed that the Gen 2s were as unwanted stepchildren!

Just trying to make the POS Gen II a little less POS. I don't think I can afford to get rid of it. I know I sure can't afford to keep it! All these new farkles are killing me!

I love my new shock. You should see if Richard still has his.... Oh wait I bought his shock. Sorry. Don't forget to get the sock with it! Still on stock forks though. One day...

Does this mean you are actually considering keeping that POS?

I thought we agreed that the Gen 2s were as unwanted stepchildren!

Just trying to make the POS Gen II a little less POS. I don't think I can afford to get rid of it. I know I sure can't afford to keep it! All these new farkles are killing me!
Resistance is futile
smile.png

Really? It took you 250 gazillion miles to figger this out?

Come-on...how many miles have you really successfully ridden your Gen I bike(s) without a shock upgrade?

And a Gen II doesn't need it? My buddy Bugman had to leak the entire contents of his Gen II shock to figure it out. Hope Santa is good to you because at the rate you ride, it isn't going to last another summer. On the other hand, you'll honestly conclude that the Gen I is a superior ride if you don't change it.

Yeah I used to think the same thing. I deceived myself. One day while riding with forum member escapefjrtist I road his GP/Penske bike on a particular bit of twisty road I ride often. It took about 1/6 mile and 3 turns to feel the difference. His bike was planted to the road without all the rubbery feedback. The test ride over, I pulled up next to escapefjrtist and said you just cost me $1500.
Glad to be the enabler there Fontanaman! Nothing's better than costing friends some hard earned $$$. All you need to do is delay retirement a little longer...no worries!

--G

skoot, don't be trying to fool everyone...you were jonesing for a GENII when i picked up stole my GP/Penske equipped '09...remember?
bye.gif

--G

Skooter really wants a Gen III but, despite being a very generous person, Pappa Chuy surely will not splurge for that.

skoot, don't be trying to fool everyone...you were jonesing for a GENII when i picked up stole my GP/Penske equipped '09...remember?
bye.gif

--G

No recollection of that.
grin.gif

Skooter really wants a Gen III but, despite being a very generous person, Pappa Chuy surely will not splurge for that.

No, I don't want a super-duper POS Gen III until they get that #@&*%! cruise control right!!!
bleh.gif

No, I don't want a super-duper POS Gen III until they get that #@&*%! cruise control right!!!
bleh.gif
Super-duper is a give away. Someone on the forum will figure out how to fix the cruise control.