Did You LOSE Something When Your Wheels Came LOOSE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shall I reserve a hooker and an ale for you?
Umm...errr...uhhh...

I could go for a good beer, but I best leave the hooker stuff to the rest of ya'll. I donated a diamond ring to a lovely (and dare I say, lucky) lady a few months ago. She doesn't mind me drinkin' beer, but uhhhh.....

;)

I was not exactly correct as homonyns are words spelled the same so I offer:

HOMONYMS and more ...

A homonym ('same name') is a word that has the same pronunciation and spelling as another word, but a different meaning.

For example, mean (an average) and mean (nasty) are homonyms. They are identical in spelling and pronunciation, but different in meaning.

Here are some more homonyms:

- punch (a drink) and punch (a hit)

- dog (an animal) and dog (to follow closely)

- bat (an animal) and bat (baseball equipment)

Homonyms are by definition also homographs and homophones (see below).

A homograph ('same writing') is a word that has the same spelling as another word, but a different meaning.

For example, punch and punch are homographs, but so are bow (Robin Hood's weapon) and bow (the front of the ship). Homographs don't have to be pronounced the same way.

A homophone ('same sound') is a word that has the same pronunciation as another word, but a different meaning.

For example, punch and punch are homophones, but so are creak (the sound) and creek (a tiny river). Homophones don't have to be spelled the same way.

Here are some more homophones:

- there, their and they're- to, too, and two

- led and lead (the metal)

- weak and week

Many puns rely on homophones for their humour. (This can be used!)

To summarize:

Homonyms sound the same and are spelled the same, and have different meanings.

Homographs are spelled the same (but need not sound the same), and have different meanings.

Homophones sound the same (but need not be spelled the same), and have different meanings.

So homophone it is.

OK, now I'm officially sorry I started this thread. Remember Emily Litella? "NEVER MIND."

litella.jpg

Jill, you're so reasonable and sane. I'm sure you struggle to fit in here. :D
Well, I can honestly say that's the first time I've ever been accused of such a thing. Reasonable and sane. Hhhhmmm!!! I guess it depends how far the tongue is in the cheek, to know if that is a compliment or not.

BTW, DCarver, good imitation of a MM2 post. Haven't quite got his his talent down yet but getting close.

Jill

DIE THREAD.............DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(head wagging).................DON'T BE DISSIN MY BOY GEORGE ALBUMS....OR THE WHAM ALBUMS......OR THE NEIL DIAMOND, BARB STREISAND. SERIOUS JIHAD WILL BE COMING YER WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND HANSON ROCKS TEN YEAR OLD BOY BUTTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
(head wagging).................DON'T BE DISSIN MY BOY GEORGE ALBUMS....OR THE WHAM ALBUMS......OR THE NEIL DIAMOND, BARB STREISAND. SERIOUS JIHAD WILL BE COMING YER WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
don't forget your hanson album.