Dirty Throttlebody Butterflies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you clean them? Only one way - remove the airbox and carefully clean them with a rag.

There's another possibility. Seafoam now has a spray on the market and it comes with some fancy (long) plastic nozzles and plumbing. One could try opening the airbox and shooting the spray down each of the throttle bores with the engine running. Of course, this all means that you'll be flushing all of this crud directly into your engine, which is sort of what we are trying to avoid, right?

I just don't know if the cure is better than the disease here.

How do you clean them? Only one way - remove the airbox and carefully clean them with a rag.

There's another possibility. Seafoam now has a spray on the market and it comes with some fancy (long) plastic nozzles and plumbing. One could try opening the airbox and shooting the spray down each of the throttle bores with the engine running. Of course, this all means that you'll be flushing all of this crud directly into your engine, which is sort of what we are trying to avoid, right?

I just don't know if the cure is better than the disease here.
I fogged my 05 Road Glide with Sea Foam before I rebuilt the motor. You heat it up, spray the TB, open and spray a bit to get it to the piston tops and let it sit for a few minuets. Then you fire it up and while running spray again. By this time I could not see out my carport and the smoke was so thick I expected the Fire Company.

When I pulled it apart to build it to 100/100 it was spotless. I thought I read on the fog can to change oil after so I put cheap oil in to run it to where I was rebuilding it.

I have no doubt of the effectiveness of that product. Others say you can use water to clean the piston tops, but I believe in better living through chemicals :)

I knew the PAIR was to be disconnected but misunderstood it's reason on the Auto Tune.

It seems I read a few on this Forum that removed the PAIR to find those reed valves totally gunked up so assumed Dyno Jet did not want the gunk on the O2 sensor, but the added air flow does make sense in creating a lean condition.

I will find this hose and attach a catch can to see what is really coming through it. If I find it is a bunch I will drop it to ground. However when you drop to ground I believe you will need to put a one way valve on it as it will suck air through the hose if you do not check valve it.

We will see.

I do wonder if this is why our bikes always need a TB sync. Every service by an electronic sync tool mine has been off again.

I am not sure how much gunk needs to be on those butterfly's to disrupt airflow into the ports or bind a bit but I know they are very light and are very sensitive.