Does Hi-Viz gear really make you more visible to other motorists?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One could also say that some moronic cagers will target fixate on Hi-Vis clothing, then black would work best.

I recently got a Olympia Moab in hi vis. Wearing it in Baja, the other riders in the group said I could be seen more easily. Kinda like a bright Green Winnebago.
rolleyes.gif

When I went to replace my jacket, found a good Tourmaster from the USA and thought "what the hell" and bought a hi vis one.

I really don't think it has made a difference, the drivers here where I live are hideous.

They don't even know how to use a roundabout, you can see them looking at you as they are pulling out on you.

When I went to replace my jacket, found a good Tourmaster from the USA and thought "what the hell" and bought a hi vis one.I really don't think it has made a difference, the drivers here where I live are hideous.

They don't even know how to use a roundabout, you can see them looking at you as they are pulling out on you.
Toowoomba has a roundabout? When did they build that?

OK, I was there in the '70s.
smile.png

Al.

Back to the topic......

I don't have a hi-viz jacket, but my FroggToggs rain jacket is. My riding buddies often suggest I wear it all the time - so they know how far back I've dropped when I'm riding sweep!
smile.png

Al.

We as a rule MUST wear our HI Viz when out on road call's (and at a break down or crash scene with all the Fire,police and us it looks like a lemon convention!)but...

I had to agree with most of the NERDS here that "more often than not the Hi viz was a plus" in their opinion and I value those opinion's greatly Sooo... I bought Hi Viz for the two of us on Fred's price tip (Thank's Fred) But I also have to agree with Prof.ionbeam that there are alot of idiots out there that are NOT looking and could care less if they KILL YOU!! so I would still watch out for the texting,latte,leadfoot losers wearing full hoodies drivin all gangsta style without a care in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
We as a rule MUST wear our HI Viz when out on road call's (and at a break down or crash scene with all the Fire,police and us it looks like a lemon convention!)but...
Probably common knowledge but just in case, here's a real basic summary of why it's become so popular and/or mandated by employers, particularly governmental entities.

Yep Mike we got that one posted as you walk in. My work Hi Vz jacket is exactly the same as Police issued,Soooo when I hang it in the rear window of the truck???? hmmmm

Probably common knowledge but just in case, here's a real basic summary of why it's become so popular and/or mandated by employers, particularly governmental entities.

I have 72k accident free miles on my bike. I started with the TM hi-viz jacket and recently combined this with a glossy white Nolan.

Seems weird, but when I pull into the left lane of traffic, most folks move into the right lane of traffic. I've heard that I look like a LEO in the outfit I wear.

If that makes me more visible, I'll take it...

Of course you always find crap like this on the interweb:

Really seems silly to argue about this. Of course hi viz, or lighting, or loud pipes won't magically protect you, but it's dangerous, riding a motorcycle in traffic. (Ignoring the dangers visibility enhancements won't help you with at all, like poor riding and sharp curves.)

But if it MIGHT help? Why not do what you can to be seen, on the likelihood that there's nobody you'll see today who's actually out HUNTING for motorcyclists.

Of note though --- in my "work" experience, and the experience of fellow work mates over the years, hi-viz works during daylight. Just beware of drunk drivers at night who are actually attracted to hi-viz . I have had first hand experience of this phenomenon. I'm not knocking hi-viz though.

Toowoomba has a roundabout? When did they build that?OK, I was there in the '70s.
smile.png

Al.
There is a few of them now, esp up Hume St.

A fellow Aussie FJR member got cleaned up on one, lucky he was ok.

The worse is riding along Ruthven St, cars pulling out trying to beat the on-coming traffic.

If anything at least I "feel good" about wearing the Hi Vis.

In Australia you can't buy hi vis gear and the 2 main stocked brands Dririder and Motodry don't have it.

Really seems silly to argue about this. Of course hi viz, or lighting, or loud pipes won't magically protect you, but it's dangerous, riding a motorcycle in traffic. (Ignoring the dangers visibility enhancements won't help you with at all, like poor riding and sharp curves.)
But if it MIGHT help? Why not do what you can to be seen, on the likelihood that there's nobody you'll see today who's actually out HUNTING for motorcyclists.
I agree. It's not so much about making it absolutely sure fire safe as it would be impossible. It's more about making it just a bit safer. If wearing hi-viz will help you avoid an accident in certain situations, then the only thing damaged is my sense of fashion.

One could also say that some moronic cagers will target fixate on Hi-Vis clothing, then black would work best.
See below

Of note though --- in my "work" experience, and the experience of fellow work mates over the years, hi-viz works during daylight. Just beware of drunk drivers at night who are actually attracted to hi-viz . I have had first hand experience of this phenomenon. I'm not knocking hi-viz though.
Yes! I knew that this would come up. It always does. It's probably a huge load of nonsense though, since nobody has ever proven, established, or produced one bit of actual proof that this actually happens, yet there is endless anecdotal testimony, which is essentially worthless BTW, that drunks (or other mindless individuals) are somehow drawn like fireflies to the brightly colored jackets..

The fact that someone is so stone drunk at to hit flashing police lights does not prove that they were actually attracted to them, as many of the cases suppose. "Post hoc ergo propter hoc" is the Latin description of that logical fallacy. All too common in modern thinking. Sometmes drunks just crash into brightly lit stuff because they are too drunk. Not because they are attracted to it.

Please do not take this as an assault on your post. I was actually waiting for that to be introduced, because I've heard it so many times before.

I'd still like to see some sort of actual evidence, weak or otherwise, that wearing bright colors will induce a problem, or is not a positive.

Do you notice the houses with lights on em during the holidays?

Yep.

Add some color to your gear(can't hurt) and keep your head on a swivel. The life you save may be your own. Ride careful .

For me its all about keeping your head in the game 100% + while riding. At the end of the day that is all you can do. I could dress up like a rainbow and it wouldn't make a dam bit of difference to the oncomming texter crossing into your lane. Or maybe I should say some guy late for a wedding who crossed over into your lane.
winksmiley02.gif

From our friends in New Zealand LINK. I saw a comment earlier...is reflective clothing not allowed in Australia?

Abstract

Objective To investigate whether the risk of motorcycle crash related injuries is associated with the conspicuity of the driver or vehicle.

Design Population based case-control study.

Setting Auckland region of New Zealand from February 1993 to February 1996.

Participants 463 motorcycle drivers (cases) involved in crashes leading to hospital treatment or death; 1233 motorcycle drivers (controls) recruited from randomly selected roadside survey sites.

Main outcome measures Estimates of relative risk of motorcycle crash related injury and population attributable risk associated with conspicuity measures, including the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, headlight operation, and colour of helmet, clothing, and motorcycle.

Results Crash related injuries occurred mainly in urban zones with 50 km/h speed limit (66%), during the day (63%), and in fine weather (72%). After adjustment for potential confounders, drivers wearing any reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.63, 95% confidence interval 0.42 to 0.94) than other drivers. Compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.76, 0.57 to 0.99). Self reported light coloured helmet versus dark coloured helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk. Three quarters of motorcycle riders had their headlight turned on during the day, and this was associated with a 27% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.73, 0.53 to 1.00). No association occurred between risk and the frontal colour of drivers' clothing or motorcycle. If these odds ratios are unconfounded, the population attributable risks are 33% for wearing no reflective or fluorescent clothing, 18% for a non-white helmet, 11% for a dark coloured helmet, and 7% for no daytime headlight operation.

Conclusions Low conspicuity may increase the risk of motorcycle crash related injury. Increasing the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, white or light coloured helmets, and daytime headlights are simple, cheap interventions that could considerably reduce motorcycle crash related injury and death.

I am a believer in HiVis. The problem is that on my FJR drivers don't actually see a lot of the jacket. I also wear a red helmet intentionally to look as colorful as possible. I don't know if the red helmet is any better than the Hi Viz ones, but the contrast with the jacket and Bass Boat Blue bike do seem to attract attention.

Armchair opinion.... the white helmet thing is old, before the days of hi-viz yellow. Yellow is the most visible colour. I can sure tell you I was noticed A LOT more with my Oly HiViz Airglide.... now I have a neon yellow helmet, but I think contrast is the key. Yellow is OK as long as everything else isn't yellow. I've currently opted for an Oly Ranger jacket which is mostly black with yellow stripes, along with the neon yellow helmet. Jacket is rather obstructed by a top box, but I get all kinds of comments on how visible I am. All I can say is I wouldn't do without it.

As for lights, I put amber lenses in my fork lights, as that definitely sets you apart from all those with bright whites. Just my opinion, but a lot of bikes with bright whites/HID's, etc. can obscure some important features like your signals. Let them be seen (varies with type of bike). You don't need much forward lighting to be more visible really........ keep the high powers for night riding.