Does Hi-Viz gear really make you more visible to other motorists?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, at least the article about it is balanced and unbiased. Hey, "they" already make "us" wear helmets. So now, maybe it's helmets with stickers. And next year, helmets with stickers and bobber balls and neon mohawks. What the heck? It's all for safety.

And hey, we don't gotta wear seat belts.

flashing_green_ball_head_boppers_flashinggreenballbopper.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, at least the article about it is balanced and unbiased. Hey, "they" already make "us" wear helmets. So now, maybe it's helmets with stickers. And next year, helmets with stickers and bobber balls and neon mohawks. What the heck? It's all for safety.

flashing_green_ball_head_boppers_flashinggreenballbopper.jpg
Provocative words from a guy who wears blue painter's tape.

I must confess I cut a strip out of reflective red decal from the Realtime decals & stuck it onto the back of my Caberg.

In my defence I had to trim the pannier decals as the previous owner had put Mama tuning fork logos onto the top area of the pannier & I had some left over. Stuck some onto the top box too.

Reflective mania!

Reflectorization (on helmets) is already a "requirement" in several US States. Quotes are because I have never heard of anyone being ticketed. NJ, NY, VT, MD and others according to AMA.
Here in NJ you would fail the annual motorcycle inspections for not having the minimum amount of reflective tape added to your helmet. I had to argue with the inspector and go to his supervisor when he failed me for not having a 2"x 2" square on each side of my helmet. I had 1/4" reflective pinstriping tape added to my helmet that totaled more square inches than the the two squares would have. The rule requirement listed total square inches and did not specify the configuration so I ultimately won the argument. I also used a Helmet Halo on my helmet but they were not acceptable in meeting the requirement because they are easily removed. That reminds me I should buy a halo for my new Hi-Viz EXO-700 helmet.

HH010-2T.jpg

One situation that I don't think anyone has mentioned is what if you have an accident like hitting a deer and you're now laying in the road. A Hi-Viz jacket and or helmet could make the difference as to whether you get run over by a motorist who happens along before you manage to get up out of the road. It also could help you be spotted if you end up off the road needing medical attention.

When I see riders in all black at night, I can't help but think if they go down at night they are going to get driven over by some motorist.

Reflectorization (on helmets) is already a "requirement" in several US States. Quotes are because I have never heard of anyone being ticketed. NJ, NY, VT, MD and others according to AMA.
Here in NJ you would fail the annual motorcycle inspections for not having the minimum amount of reflective tape added to your helmet. I had to argue with the inspector and go to his supervisor when he failed me for not having a 2"x 2" square on each side of my helmet.
So you're saying that if you trailered your bike to a dealership for whatever reason and asked them to do an inspection while there, they'd refuse (or fail it) until they also inspected your helmet?

One situation that I don't think anyone has mentioned is what if you have an accident like hitting a deer and you're now laying in the road. A Hi-Viz jacket and or helmet could make the difference as to whether you get run over by a motorist who happens along before you manage to get up out of the road. It also could help you be spotted if you end up off the road needing medical attention.
When I see riders in all black at night, I can't help but think if they go down at night they are going to get driven over by some motorist.

Why do you use a font that is really frigging hard to read?

Why do you use a font that is really frigging hard to read?
Arial is just so boring. Why do you use a font without serifs? It makes it impossible to tell the difference between a l and an I (small letter l and the letter capital I). The only clue is the use of a vs. an. Us old people used to be fed serif fonts to enhance readability and help with letter spacing in type setting for printing. Then computers became generally available which made better use with san serif type fonts which were easy to scale and no longer needed the spacing given by serif fonts. Now san serif fonts have become boring for the new generation that can't handle the rigid boxed in fonts and want to relax a little and be different from the older generation. Turn the bill of your baseball hat over to 45º, pull your pants down until your boxers are almost completely showin' and get with the times. You have to admit that the Comic Sans MS stands out in this message almost as well as hi-viz does in a line of riders with all the others wearing black. Sheesh, when are you old guys going to age down and become as immature hip as the newest generation. Adjust your color, tune in and get with the Times, err Comic Sans MS.
wink.png
laugh.png

I guess that I'd prefer to not get hit by those people that are looking out for you.
The ones that aren't, well you can't do much about them except dodge them.

@ionbeam - Proper spelling and punctuation is so old school too, yo.
punk.gif

IMO Hiviz doesn't do much to make an aproaching bike stand outl. Back when the first Hurt report came out 10 years 20 years uh, a long time ago, I made the conscious decision to ride with my hi beams on during the day. I perceive a huge difference in the way left turning traffic responds. From the rear, the hiviz seems more noticeable. Hiviz helmet alone is probably the most effective I would wager. I might try the vest, since I've got one of those in the closet.

Here in NJ you would fail the annual motorcycle inspections for not having the minimum amount of reflective tape added to your helmet. I had to argue with the inspector and go to his supervisor when he failed me for not having a 2"x 2" square on each side of my helmet.
So you're saying that if you trailered your bike to a dealership for whatever reason and asked them to do an inspection while there, they'd refuse (or fail it) until they also inspected your helmet?
Inspections in NJ are not done by dealers but by State Motor Vehicle Inspection Stations with State Employees which later became private contractors. They do nothing else but inspect motor vehicles. A couple of years ago because of work overload at the stations, motorcycles were given an exemption from State motor vehicle inspections.

I guess that I'd prefer to not get hit by those people that are looking out for you. The ones that aren't, well you can't do much about them except dodge them.

@ionbeam - Proper spelling and punctuation is so old school too, yo.
punk.gif
I remember you and ionbeam making fun of me in my hivez a few years ago on a trip to Long Island ...

Late to the party on this thread. So please let me wade in on a few things.

1) I'm one of the high mile riders. I don't own any HiViz but I do have LOTS of reflective tape. Lots of red dots and stripes on the back and front,back of helmet too. Blue and white reflective on the front and front fairing. I get lots of people pulling to the right for me. Leo look? Dunno..

2) I never expect that the driver can see me coming. The reason is this. I have almost 3 million km of driving in the last 30 years. The number of times I have looked to my right then left only to have a vehicle magically appear from the right amazes me. Scares me. So I started to really pay attention to why these bikes and cars were all of a suden right on top of me. Well I figured it out. One day looking to the right and seeing nothing but hearing a bike I kept looking. Out from behind the big mirror on my truck a bike appeared. A HUGE blind spot. I,ve watched as a pick up truck aproaches and disapears behind the mirror only to reappear as it gets closer. So now I come to a complete stop. Look twice. Even to the point of moving my head to look around my big mirrors. I've never hit a bike ,but I have scared a few. People doing the rolling stop are our worst enemy. So when they say "I didn't see him" I think they mean it. They were in too much of a hurry to look long enough. HiVis won't help if they aren't looking.

3) Just mentioned was what if you go down at night? The bottom of my bike is covered in reflctive tape.Bottom of my bags,swing arm/shaft,anywhere I could stick some tape. I got the Idea from Huron52 and after OM went off the side of the mountain and was found because of his bright yellow helmet I thought it couldn't hurt.

In conclusion... ride like you are invisable not invinsable.

Rob

Well, in case you're not old enough, I believe it was back in the early 70's there was a huge push by a US Senator to make seat belts for motorcyles mandatory. Despite protests from the motorcycling community and others, It almost became law, real close, but at the last minute enough powers-that-be convinced him it wasn't a good idea............ whew!

I guess that I'd prefer to not get hit by those people that are looking out for you. The ones that aren't, well you can't do much about them except dodge them.
I remember you and ionbeam making fun of me in my hivez a few years ago on a trip to Long Island ...
Yeah, you were definitely an early adopter, George. We teased you about it hurting our eyes, but it was apparent to both of us that it does make it easier to see you in certain circumstances. That's why we both now sport the HiViz. It was later that same year that I bought my first HiViz jacket, lightly used, from forum member zzzzip. ionbeam (and Helen) joined the HiViz crowd just this past season.

Yeah, you were definitely an early adopter, George. We teased you about it hurting our eyes, but it was apparent to both of us that it does make it easier to see you...
Teasing here. It's the price you pay for being an early adopter.