Does the FJR encourage faster riding?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:yahoo: YES!!! Highway on-ramps are fun and it's real easy to run up into three digits. Same can happen when passing on an interstate. Lotta fun.

I came from cruisers and at 80 you really felt it. At 90 the engine was working and three digits was a stretch. :(

The FJR is so smooth I don't realize how fast I'm going til I look down. Highway cruising at 75-85 is a breeze and rolling on the throttle to pass always makes me smile. The Feejr feels like it weighs half as much my VTX (they're within 20 lbs.) and is a blast in the twisties.

So yeah, I ride faster now in general. I accelerate to highway speeds (or more) in a flash, cruise very comfortably with the speed of traffic (often 80+ around here) and in the curves I'm leaned way over compared to what I had been doing on my cruiser.

Nothing but fun! :lol:

My first bike was a 1965 Triumph TR6R. One night I rode it flat out on the PA turnpike. Topped out at 96 mph.

Then a Honda 550 Four. Don't think I ever went much above 90.

Twenty years and a divorce later I bought a Harley Fatboy. Poor baby was out of breath at 85 mph (and my right foot kept vibrating off the floorboard).

Traded for a Honda Interceptor. Did 150 one hot Sunday afternoon. Seemed to really "like" running at 100 mph. I was always catching myself running faster than I wanted (due to my fear of another ticket. I loved that bike!

And now I have my FJR. Still learning it's ride characteristics at 1900 miles. Have run at 110mph with shield full up just to test the stability. I generally cruise around 75-80 mph (and I'm usually accompanied by Stella on the back) unless I think I can get away with something. Big rush for me is using my right hand to rocket ahead when I need to.

Once into the HOV lane, I was ready to roll on some throttle and really get going. Changed my mind when I looked down, and saw that I was already traveling in excess of 100mph. The bike is so smooth, that speed is deceiving and must be very carefully watched.

Jill

I did the same thing here only to realize I was approaching the 130 mark.I was definately heading into the kill zone.

Wife asked me today if I would consider BMW again and my answer was probably not.I have never had a machine this smooth or this reliable that can deliver great fuel economy @ 80mph.I joke about it but this really is an old flatulance filled mans crotch rocket.

Yes and no. I use the added FJR 300-500cc over my last bikes (Vstrom and VFR) in straight line accelerations. But the Feej is a longer and bigger bike - so I don't like to push it in the tight twisties like I used to do on the other bikes.
Scott
Pull that screen all the way down hanging your butt off a little and do it!You will love it!A little more muscle needed than when on a RZ350 but just as much fun!Blows folks away that it can stick in turns so well

I had a '98 Honda VFR800 that seemed to encourage me to speed, often. I loved that bike, but ended up selling it after I moved in with my 2nd wife. I went a few years with no bike. When I bought my next bike, I opted for a cruiser (2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak). It was a pretty peppy bike, as cruisers go, but obviously not as fun in the twisties as a sport or sport-tour bike.

I just bought my FJR about 2 weeks ago and I feel like I am back where I was with the VFR, only this bike is even more dangerous.

I left the office today and found myself going close to 100 on a road I road I should not have been doing 100 on. I really don't need tickets, but the temptation is too strong!

I know there are faster bikes, but as far as sport tour bikes go, this is one evil bike.

Yes.

Short answer: Being the size I am (6'3" 275#) I just plain don't fit on your average crotch rockets. I despise cruisers since you can't lean 'em over. And since having the FJR, I find myself riding better than I ever have. I definetly feel more comfortable on her and in turn more comfortable in leaning her over. My only other option was a 'Busa, but I opted for the Feej.

Previous bike was a Bandit 1200 cafe faired roadster. I ride the FJR faster on the freeway (better protection) but maybe a little less agressive in the twistys. Also depends if I am alone or with the SO. :rolleyes:

Previous-Previous bike was a CBR900. The FJR rides slower than that one for sure.

After a weekend on a rental Soft tail HD in SFO area, scraping the floor boards on highway 9 from SanJose to Santa Cruz I can see the guys coming from the cruisers riding a lot faster overall.

Yes, but only because my FJR has 145hp and the other steed has 37. :)

I rarely drive to work, however the few times I have takent he car I do find myself driving fast simply because I drive fast n the FJR. It's habit forming.

The same.

I came from a FJ1200 and wanted an updated version.

No actual proof but I think my old FJ was a tad quicker :unsure: but in every other category there's no comparison.

Not really. I had a Vmax which I rode quite fast. FJR does inspire more confidence in turns but, then again, I drive my truck fast, the wifes car fast, my utility ATV fast, etc. Not all the time but, sometimes you just have to blow the dust off.

I have been corresponding with a gentleman who is trying to decide whether to buy my FJR, or possibly a Bimmer. He currently rides an '03 Concours. In the course of conversation I voiced the opinion that if he likes and is comfortable with the pace he currently keeps on the Concours, he may be better off with the Bimmer. I base this on my own experiences, which consist of finding it hard not to use the power that more powerful bikes provide. For example, while riding Bimmer Rs I would never consider passing in places I do now due to the FJRs capabilities. I know that I often find myself cruising over 80 and (gracious me!) into triple digit-lose license territory. Now ,before the Control Police descend upon me and berate me for my evil, lack of self control, dangerous, antisocial behavior, I am acutely aware that everyone has the capacity to exercise self control and temper the temptation to twist the right wrist into go-to-jail territory. I'm just wondering if others feel that the Feej has them running a bit faster than on previous bikes, or riding a bit more aggressively to take advantage of its capabilities?
I came of of a 1600 RoadStar (70hp/750 lbs). 80mph seemed really fast on that big heavy bike. As you all know, doing 80 in an FJ doesn't take any kind of effort (145hp/550 lbs +/-). Coming from a large, low, cruiser to this machine definitely inspires a new twitch in my right hand. Any time I let it roll over 6k on the tach, it usually must be followed by an extra right hand twist. I love blowing by those loud Harleys and I love hitting the curves hard, low and fast. This isn't anything like a Huyabusa (sp?) but it does inspire some real fun maneuvers while you're cruising. :yahoo:

Now, with that said, I'm starting to ease up a bit as I've used up 4 of my lucky stars so far and I think I've pushed my luck as far as I can go before I dump the bike and get hurt, or get a ticket. :rip_1:

Take care all!!

I swapped an '02 Triumph Sprint ST for the FJR. As I hoped/expected, the FJR has slowed me down. It is a big bike that, though does well in the hills, does not corner like a crotch rocket. I still ride fast, but am more conservative about it now with that I'm on the FJR.

Let's See. My last bike was a 1978 Suzuki GS 750. At 70, it felt like it just might shake itself into a million pieces, so ....uh...yeah. I go faster. I go faster and I like it. I like feeling confident and stable enough to pass in the blink of an eye. I like keeping up with traffic on the freeway. I like looking down and going "really?, Oh, I should slow down". Do I intentionally go 90 or above. No. Have I caught myself there. You bet!