Does vib at 2500 and 3500 signal a problem on a 2013?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That howl you hear is prolly your front tire. A few tires were notorious for it, sometimes only at certain speeds and sometimes only while leaned in corners.

Wait until you swap tires and see if it goes away or changes. I'm betting it will go away, depending on your choice.

Also, if you're riding around without your helmet, you will hear all kinds of weird and troubling stuff. Then you realize its all pretty normal. For some reason, the windshield and dash area reflect a lot of noise, so riding helmetless opens up all kinds of stress.

Thanks,

I still have the original OEM tires at 5500miles.

I'm hearing the noise clearly *with* my helmet on (Shark modular) and NoNoise hearing protectors fitted.

Let me summarize here,

I feel the vibe at those rev points while at rest in neutral or in gear clutch-in while slowly free revving the bike from idle to 4000rpm, and in motion at light or heavier loads at steady road speeds, and when the engine is accelerating lightly or hard through those rev points.

I'm well aware of what lugging an engine sounds and feels like (in all of car, motorcycle, boat, etc) and the downsides of doing so (increased rotating assembly, valve, and combustion chamber stresses, potential overheating and detonation, increased vibrations, etc) so of course I'm not in the habit of doing so.

Point is the motor has an inherent vibration at those two rev points under a wide range of conditions that apparently most others do not have (some owners reporting their bikes equally 'smooth' from idle up), thus my concern there may be a minor or developing mechanical issue that I end up paying heavily to fix after the warranty has expired.

I think next steps is for me to test ride another one or two other FJR's, or have others ride mine, conduct a practical assessment of what may or may not be different about my bike.

I think next steps is for me to test ride another one or two other FJR's, or have others ride mine, conduct a practical assessment of what may or may not be different about my bike.
This is the best way!
good.gif

For what it's worth - I spent months trying to tune out certain vibe frequencies on my present ride. I'm convinced that you can't really eliminate the vibe, you can only re-direct the energy to a place that either doesn't bug you, or to a frequency you can't feel, which amounts to the same thing.

For me, it took several pounds of bar end weights, a new handlebar, some silicone plugs and several pounds of #9 bird shot in the bars.

For other people, Vibranators seem to be very popular.

https://www.vibranator.com/product_p/s05-b02-r06-n02-m01-t150-brt.htm

I have talked with the owner of this company and his product is quite sound. Many swear by them.

Does vib at 2500 and 3500 signal a problem on a 2013?
Yeah, the problem iz you dun be lugging the engine!
headbonk.gif
Only time I'm below 3500 iz when I'm sitting at a traffic light.

Keep the revs above 3500. (Preferably 4K or above in the upper gearz)

Thanks,
I still have the original OEM tires at 5500miles.

I'm hearing the noise clearly *with* my helmet on (Shark modular) and NoNoise hearing protectors fitted.
The noise from the front of FJR-s appears to be a common trait, there have been many threads about it. Nobody really knows where it comes from, some say from tires, some say from front brake rotors, some say from front cowlings... The only thing we know is that the noise is there and you can't get rid of it. Just wear the ear plugs and the life looks beautiful again
smile.png

By the way, proper ear plugs also significantly reduced my perceived vibrations. I've been working to get them down, have the vibronators installed as well as done the unauthorized throttle body sync mode couple of times and tightened the engine bolts according to specs. The best cure still seems to be the gripbuddies and earplugs.

On my prior FJR (2007) I had an annoying buzz and it was eliminated by installing Vibranators and Johar foam grips. The bike was silky smooth after that. On my 2014 I installed Vibranators and Grip Buddies. Again, the bike is silky smooth. I did however notice the 2014 was almost vibration free from the dealer new.

I'm no expert on engine physics but I do not believe one is lugging the engine at 3500rpm unless on a rather steep incline in 5th gear. About the only time I run the engine at 4000rpm is when on open roads at 80mph. I'm on my third FJR and well over 100,000 miles of riding between the bikes. Never have I had any negative mechanical results from running lower rpm's. I find shifting into next lower gear at 3000rpm works just fine. You will get better mileage as a bonus!!

On my prior FJR (2007) I had an annoying buzz and it was eliminated by installing Vibranators and Johar foam grips. The bike was silky smooth after that. On my 2014 I installed Vibranators and Grip Buddies. Again, the bike is silky smooth. I did however notice the 2014 was almost vibration free from the dealer new.
I'm no expert on engine physics but I do not believe one is lugging the engine at 3500rpm unless on a rather steep incline in 5th gear. About the only time I run the engine at 4000rpm is when on open roads at 80mph. I'm on my third FJR and well over 100,000 miles of riding between the bikes. Never have I had any negative mechanical results from running lower rpm's. I find shifting into next lower gear at 3000rpm works just fine. You will get better mileage as a bonus!!
Yer prolly not lugging it enough to do any damage, butt I've noticed my two FJRs are happiest 'n smoothest 'round (or above?
grin.gif
) 4000 RPM.

'N I still get 'round 44 mpg.

My bike is really smooth until the 80 mph.From about 80 mph and above the engine has noticeable high freq vibrations.Tried everything,TBS,UN TBS,Checked the engine mounts..everything but the vibrations are still there!The vibrations are not noticeable only on the handlebars but and on the foot pegs.Nothing can eliminate those vibrations!They are not really heavy vibrations,but they are high frequency vibrations..A buzzzzz............

Some have reported a TBS has helped somewhat. Combine that with the other remedies like bar end weights and reports have been favorable.

Good luck, hope it works out.

My bike is really smooth until the 80 mph.From about 80 mph and above the engine has noticeable high freq vibrations.Tried everything,TBS,UN TBS,Checked the engine mounts..everything but the vibrations are still there!The vibrations are not noticeable only on the handlebars but and on the foot pegs.Nothing can eliminate those vibrations!They are not really heavy vibrations,but they are high frequency vibrations..A buzzzzz............
Bummer dood!

I just did a 500 mi. loop last week, (Including the fabled HWY 36) and kept finding myself going to dang fast, 'n think'in "maybe this bike is too smooth?"

My little FZ6 starts get'in buzzy over 80 so I know how fast I'm go'in, butt the FJR is like an electric motor. (unless I'm at or below 3500 in top gear.)

Do you do the tb synch yourself? I like this https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/23101-unauthorized-tb-synch/ cuz it balances the butterflies.

Bummer dood!

I just did a 500 mi. loop last week, (Including the fabled HWY 36) and kept finding myself going to dang fast, 'n think'in "maybe this bike is too smooth?"

My little FZ6 starts get'in buzzy over 80 so I know how fast I'm go'in, butt the FJR is like an electric motor. (unless I'm at or below 3500 in top gear.)

Do you do the tb synch yourself? I like this https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/23101-unauthorized-tb-synch/ cuz it balances the butterflies.
I did it.Also i have two friends with a Gen1 and a Gen2.They do the same thing!I have the same high freq buzz vibrations from when i bought brand new the bike.Not a big problem for me.I believe that is normal for a 1300cc four cylinders engine these vibrations..The odd is that when i installed the taller touring oem screen the vibrations was more!Also the odd is that many owners complain for vibrations and many others not...

At the risk of repeating my earlier summary I just want to be clear I'm NOT talking abouit the handlebar buzz at higher RPM's (that my bike also has). I assume that's 'normal' and can put up with it.

My bike has a distinctly noticeable VIBRATION (not buzz) at the 2500 and 3500rpm rev points, in ANY conditions (in/out of gear, road surface, stopped, rolling, etc).

It's solidly felt in the bars AND the seat (and I'm sitting on top of a gel padded seat).

I do appreciate all the comments, I just didn't want this thread to fill up with 'you are lugging the engine' or "buzzing is normal' comments when my situation is different.
As I noted the next step is for me to ride other bikes and FJR experienced folks to ride mine, empirically compare any differences.

On the other note, the 'howling noise from the front end', I did some testing over the weekend and I've concluded it's likely tire noise.
Not scientific but:

1. I never heard that noise until the last maybe 1000 miles. Bike has around 5500 on it so the OEM front tires will have wear they didn't have new

2. The noise is not proportional to speed. It's loudest at around 40mph and 60mph

3. It's heard only on certain surfaces. Dark blacktop is much quieter than 'gray' concrete. I hardly hear it at all on blacktop. I hear it loudly on concrete.

4. On 'lighter blacktop', the kind often found on highways, I hear the sound distinctly. However, and I kid you not, if I move to the center and ride along the 'oil strip' the noise all but disappears (at any road crown angle)

5. When I hear it loudly and the road transitions from concrete to blacktop and back to concrete the noise ceases immediately on entering the blacktop, and immediately restarts on entering the concrete

Definitely appears to be a road surface related effect.
I suppose the rougher concrete surface could be causing vibration to be transmitted to the wheel bearing or causing some other part of the front end to 'resonate' to cause that sound, but my money is on tire noise.
Guess I'll have more data to report when I get round to replacing the front OEM tire later down the line.

At the risk of repeating my earlier summary I just want to be clear I'm NOT talking abouit the handlebar buzz at higher RPM's (that my bike also has). I assume that's 'normal' and can put up with it.
My bike has a distinctly noticeable VIBRATION (not buzz) at the 2500 and 3500rpm rev points, in ANY conditions (in/out of gear, road surface, stopped, rolling, etc).

It's solidly felt in the bars AND the seat (and I'm sitting on top of a gel padded seat).

I do appreciate all the comments, I just didn't want this thread to fill up with 'you are lugging the engine' or "buzzing is normal' comments when my situation is different.

As I noted the next step is for me to ride other bikes and FJR experienced folks to ride mine, empirically compare any differences.

On the other note, the 'howling noise from the front end', I did some testing over the weekend and I've concluded it's likely tire noise.

Not scientific but:

1. I never heard that noise until the last maybe 1000 miles. Bike has around 5500 on it so the OEM front tires will have wear they didn't have new

2. The noise is not proportional to speed. It's loudest at around 40mph and 60mph

3. It's heard only on certain surfaces. Dark blacktop is much quieter than 'gray' concrete. I hardly hear it at all on blacktop. I hear it loudly on concrete.

4. On 'lighter blacktop', the kind often found on highways, I hear the sound distinctly. However, and I kid you not, if I move to the center and ride along the 'oil strip' the noise all but disappears (at any road crown angle)

5. When I hear it loudly and the road transitions from concrete to blacktop and back to concrete the noise ceases immediately on entering the blacktop, and immediately restarts on entering the concrete

Definitely appears to be a road surface related effect.

I suppose the rougher concrete surface could be causing vibration to be transmitted to the wheel bearing or causing some other part of the front end to 'resonate' to cause that sound, but my money is on tire noise.

Guess I'll have more data to report when I get round to replacing the front OEM tire later down the line.
As i wrote in my previous post,the best way is to ride another fjr for compare.My bike surely have not vibrations at the 2500 and 3500rpm's,but surely it has noticeable vibrations at above the 4000rpm..But,not a big problem for me...

As for the noise from the front end i had the same problem with the BT021,but when i replaced them with the BT023GT the noise disappeared!Great tires for me!

With my FJR (and the 3 others I have ridden), I considered it a hi-freq buzz. Not enough motion to be called a vibration per-say. I think it is sensed by some more than others as well. I was one who didn't deal well with it :( My suggestion would be to do all the remedies possible as suggested, and then get it out of your head.

Is it mind over matter? maybe.

Latest posts