Does vib at 2500 and 3500 signal a problem on a 2013?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a problem I forsee based on having installed Canyon Cage on my ex-Concour...and screwing things up.

The FJR has an even more complex sequence for torquing the engine mount bolts. There is a specific order to this and a procedure for loosening and tightening. Now if you introduce a Canyon cage with its own bolts, it seems to me one is altering the torque value. Whatever the torque of a bolt you replace and now goes through the Canyon pipe has changed.

Now if you could loosen all the engine mount bolts and follow through the proper torque procedures while installing the Canyon at the same time, I may be more apt to think that things are as close as they can get to specs. But loosening a few of the bolts for installation purposes, and torquing them back on breaks up the sequence torque specs.

...and this is the reason why I haven't install no slider nor engine guard to date.

Take heed of the caveat above: Those steel bolts driven inside the aluminum engine were probably put there with loctide from the manufacturer; one can easily strip the threads...been there done that. You need some time-sert to repair it.

This is a problem I forsee based on having installed Canyon Cage on my ex-Concour...and screwing things up.
The FJR has an even more complex sequence for torquing the engine mount bolts. There is a specific order to this and a procedure for loosening and tightening. Now if you introduce a Canyon cage with its own bolts, it seems to me one is altering the torque value. Whatever the torque of a bolt you replace and now goes through the Canyon pipe has changed.

Now if you could loosen all the engine mount bolts and follow through the proper torque procedures while installing the Canyon at the same time, I may be more apt to think that things are as close as they can get to specs. But loosening a few of the bolts for installation purposes, and torquing them back on breaks up the sequence torque specs.

...and this is the reason why I haven't install no slider nor engine guard to date.

Take heed of the caveat above: Those steel bolts driven inside the aluminum engine were probably put there with loctide from the manufacturer; one can easily strip the threads...been there done that. You need some time-sert to repair it.
I don't know for the Canyon Cage,but it is not neccessary to do the proper torque procedure if you install frame sliders...

It is only two bolts,one left and one right for the Gen2 & Gen3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you are right Mihalis, cause I have been taking a hard look at tbos GSG sliders lately.

if one was to retorque the engine bolts, how would one start? Do u have to losen them all first and hold the engine with a jack? ... hey, maybe I ll post this question

Υou have already posted this Question..
smile.png
Also i have the GSG and they are really nice sliders!

Surely not need to retorque all the engine bolts!Install the two sliders,torque the bolts to the proper torque and that's it!
smile.png

Also for the vibes,i will tell you again,that is a waste of time to try to eliminate them!

A good TBS,a handlebar riser and if you like them Grip Puppies can help to reduce and filtered them,not eliminate them!

Believe me the high freq buzz comes from the four cylinder engine and it is normal.Some engines have much vibes and some others have little vibes.But the vibes are there!

Some owners they feel them very strong and some others not...

Ride your beautiful bike and try to forget them...
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
When I got sliders, there were very specific instructions on how ta install 'em i.e., which side 1st, and one at a time. Recon the Canyon Cages would have similar instructions?

I wanted to reiterate something you may find helpful. Like @Mihalis fjr said, you're always going to have some degree of vibration. All you can really do is damp it somehow. I'm not a physicist, but it was explained to me on another board by one that what you're effectively doing is altering the resonant frequency, but it will never actually go away entirely.

This is one of the reasons that Vibranators work so well - they transfer the vibrations to an isolated piece of metal which resonates like a tuning fork. I couldn't use them on my Tiger for a number of reasons specific to that bike's OEM handlebar.

Hopefully you can get this sorted out. I'm the sort who is really sensitive to vibes in my hands - when it's bad, it just ruins a ride for me.

Latest posts