DOH!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
um...what exactly were you measuring, skibum? Or, should we stop right there?
Well, while I usually measure LARGE distances with my johnson, I used a level between the edge of the tire's contact patch and the mounted saddle bag, and with the suspension fully extended, there was a gap of almost 3/4 inch between my di.., err . . . level and the edge of the OEM can, when the level was placed against the most protruding part of the bag (the front lower corner). (Would have been better to measure from the plane, of course, because I cannot say for sure that the front lower part of the OEM can wouldn't have made contact first, even with the suspension extended.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Those must be some big ass saddle bags. Dragged both my pegs(scared the crap out of me)....but never drug the bags. Those I prefer to scrape up with the corner of my boots....and it shows.

Those must be some big ass saddle bags. Dragged both my pegs(scared the crap out of me)....but never drug the bags. Those I prefer to scrape up with the corner of my boots....and it shows.
Yeah, I do the same damn thing to my bags AND have been known to drop the bike on them when at a standstill, or grind them against the stucco corner of the garage.

Gotta remember that what I measured was when ON the center stand and suspension fully extended.

I'll defer to Roger's scent for fish, however. IIRC, he has some experience levering a two up FJR off its contact patch by using the muffler as a fulcrum to initiate a low-side get off.

EDIT:

Thinking about this some more, I note that when I dropped the FJR at a standstill, it was the left bag, and NOT the muffler that took the damage -- even the initial contact, which would have been just before the tire came off the ground. Still, at that point, the suspension was unloaded (uncompressed). Can Dan have somehow lost traction and let the rear suspension unload and extend before hooking up again? Wouldn't you feel that, and wouldn't that REALLY have you washing out your shorts if you were lucky enough to ride it out? Either way, IF he scraped the bags and kept going, he is one lucky guy -- that's at the very edge of how low the bike will go without a low-side. Time to book some track time and start practicing there -- preferrably on sticky tires mounted on a much smaller sport bike designed to lean that far in corners.

I fucked up and went into a corner way to damn fast and when I came out the saddlebag had made contact.
I have no marks on the left peg but I have scratches on the left saddlebag and the edge of the reflector.
Did you feel the saddle bag dragging the ground? Where are the scratches (should be on the front/leading edge, right)?

The part of the peg that would be scratched is the sacrificial peg on the bottom... and unless you intentionally lifted it with your foot, I can't see how it couldn't drag before the sidecase. Maybe the sidecase got scratched earlier by some other means and you didn't notice it?

No nevermind....am going to drive a straight line for the next month.....just to be safe.

So it's straight enough to use as a straightedge, Rich? And you use it as a level, too? Can you measure the angle?

Back on topic, the only times I've dragged the bags were with the lid open or in the process of crashing. I've dragged pegs, foot guards, brake pedal (rotated forward a couple of notches), but neve bags. Maybe I'm just too damn fat and compress the suspension too much.

Well if I pushed the bike as far as what y'all are scaring me that I did I may need to empty my shorts now. I knew I went FAR beyond my own limits, I didn't realize I was on the edge of the bikes...basically if I read this right...I was within a degree or so of involuntarily exiting my motorcycle in a high G turn?

The marks are on the lower half of the bag located right at the front of it in a 2-3" patch and then the bottom front tip of the reflector on the same bag. I can't imagine it was anything else because it had that general road grind texture to it, very coarse. Y'all will see in the pics when I get them taken.

Good for ya holding on through the curve. I've hit the peg feelers when I got low, but I guess it's possible. Your previous posts don't imply that you r fishin', but if you are good on ya again!

Being that I am still so new here I understand everyones uneasy feeling with believing me but in time you will notice that I have no time for games. I am only 27 but I've been in a board room since I was 15. I quite frankly don't care if anyone can go faster than me, dip lower than me, beat me off the line, etc. I am a very straight forward person and if anything you will find I will talk myself lower than I am in most cases. If I **** up, I'll tell ya I did. I am not here to hide anything, I am here to learn and meet new friends.

Being that I am still so new here I understand everyones uneasy feeling with believing me but in time you will notice that I have no time for games. I am only 27 but I've been in a board room since I was 15. I quite frankly don't care if anyone can go faster than me, dip lower than me, beat me off the line, etc. I am a very straight forward person and if anything you will find I will talk myself lower than I am in most cases. If I **** up, I'll tell ya I did. I am not here to hide anything, I am here to learn and meet new friends.
Daniel,

So what does the sacrificial peg/bolt/feeler under your footpeg on that side look like?

Sorry, don't mean to be a dick, but I call bullshit.

Rule number 1: It doesn't exist, didn't happen without pics.

I have a new 06 and have scraped both pegs pretty good. Those peg feelers are there for a reason. To warn you you're about to hit hard parts if you don't correct. Suspension compressed or not.

Like I've said, I've already dragged both of mine and both bags look fine.

Maybe you don't have factory bags, or maybe your corner is off camber or really really rutted. Or maybe they weren't attached properly? Or maybe you're just trolling.

But I'm not buying what you're selling

-MD

Well, I tipped it over that far once. Dogger picked my sorry a$$ up out of the ditch. :D Smitty

fishing.jpg

Sorry, don't mean to be a dick, but I call bullshit.
Rule number 1: It doesn't exist, didn't happen without pics.

I have a new 06 and have scraped both pegs pretty good. Those peg feelers are there for a reason. To warn you you're about to hit hard parts if you don't correct. Suspension compressed or not.

Like I've said, I've already dragged both of mine and both bags look fine.

Maybe you don't have factory bags, or maybe your corner is off camber or really really rutted. Or maybe they weren't attached properly? Or maybe you're just trolling.

But I'm not buying what you're selling

-MD
It doesn't sound right to me, either, unless he's leaving out the part about the low concrete wall, or boulders, on the inside of the turn.

I'm tempted to post pictures of tortured peg feelers, tortured boots, tortured tires, and spotless bags.

I think Groo has this one pegged. Damage happened somewhere else, maybe in a parking lot, and Hice didn't notice until this incident. If you've so over-cooked a corner that you're over that far, touching the bags down is very likely going to unweight your rear tire, and, off you go. Also, you darn well would have had something to say about your footpeg getting folded up like a stow-away bed.

I say the guy has to change his shorts and empty his boots and quit telling himself stories that he believes.

We know bull shit when we hear it now come clean and tell the truth......... :clapping:

I too unfortunately have scraped my bags, but will have to say that both wheels wern't on the ground at the time, but I was.

My question is who can I get to repair the scratches and paint to match. I do want a good job. Is there someone in the Houston, Tx. area that has a good recommendation?

igoforit

Igoforit, I can give you a recommendation for the guy who repainted my sidecases... send me a PM...

I also figured out how Daniel's sidecases got scratched... What follows is a highly toleranced scaled engineering drawing of that corner.... he just forgot to mention that there was an incline and a drainage ditch in play...

sidebagscraping.jpg