DOH!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Groo that's hilarious...

But uhm, in the interest of accuracy you have him going the wrong way. Didn't he scrape the left one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Groo that's hilarious...
But uhm, in the interest of accuracy you have him going the wrong way. Didn't he scrape the left one?
Happy now? ;)

sidebagscraping2.jpg

Daniel, if you hit the bag during a turn, you had NO margin left, not degrees, NO margin left. Any more force into the bag or whatever's scraping and the rear wheel is levered off the ground. From there, only a miracle gets you off the hard parts and back onto rubber. At that point, you need to start looking for where you want to land, to the extent you have any say in that.

I'm really curious about something, though, so let me ask you one question and a follow up:

1. As you leaned the bike into the turn (left turn, left bag, correct?), what part of your left foot was centered on the footpeg?

2. What happened to the left foot peg and your left foot as you pushed the bike lower and lower until the bag touched down?

Buddy Hice,I've read your posts about being a newby,If you've got no riding experience and you're laying that new bike over far enough to scrap the bags you're in for a surprise bubba,it's only a matter of time before you wreck the shit outta your new ride I just hope you don't hurt yourself or someone else.

Jeeze, rad -- the headlight in your avatar wouldn't seem to be big enough to cover up that big ole set of balls you've got. :clapping: It's the brake lever shot that most impresses me.

OK, I believe that this could have happened. What I also suspect is that the bags may not have been properly installed. When I picked my bike up from the dealer the brackets that the bottom of the bags slide over (the black bracket w/ the rubber "bumper" on it) were installed on the wrong sides of the bike. (The right was on the left and the left was on the right). This meant that the "slot" on the bottom of the hard case wasn't over the "tab" of the bracket. The bags were essentially not secure at the bottom at all and they had a tendency to move out away from the bike in a turn. Fortunately I figured this out early and fixed it. Had I NOT fixed it, I could see the bags hitting pavement way early.

OK, I believe that this could have happened. What I also suspect is that the bags may not have been properly installed. When I picked my bike up from the dealer the brackets that the bottom of the bags slide over (the black bracket w/ the rubber "bumper" on it) were installed on the wrong sides of the bike. (The right was on the left and the left was on the right). This meant that the "slot" on the bottom of the hard case wasn't over the "tab" of the bracket. The bags were essentially not secure at the bottom at all and they had a tendency to move out away from the bike in a turn. Fortunately I figured this out early and fixed it. Had I NOT fixed it, I could see the bags hitting pavement way early.

Yup, I said if the bags weren't mounted right, like not holding that bottom thingy. But that's a whole differn't fk-up.

If Daniel scraped up the bags and is willing to post pictures to prove it, as he's said from the beginning, I'm inclined to believe something like that happened. How it happened (rear suspension reaction) is the real mystery to me. Under any circumstances, I'm glad he's here uninjured and with a relatively unscathed bike -- taking a little shit is easier than paying hospital bills or even buying everyone a round, after all.

Don't know about anybody else, but I've been the beneficiary of more than one miracle when by all that's non-negotiable in the world of physics, I should have low or high sided, and I'm not sure I can explain what happened accurately. That's why I was wondering what was going on with his left foot as this very fast unfolding shit stain was taking place. As to the bags, he's probably done less damage to his than I have to mine dropping the damn thing twice (once loaded to the gills) and rubbing the other side against the stucco.

I'll stand by one thing though: if he scraped saddlebag plastic on the ground in a corner, he has explored exactly how far down an FJR will go and needs to practice backing off on corner entry speeds.

Yup, I said if the bags weren't mounted right, like not holding that bottom thingy. But that's a whole differn't fk-up.
No biggie, that's not what I meant :D ...

He's thinking he f'd up and hit a corner too hard, but his f-up is probalby not mounting his bags right. :D

:unsure:

I have ground on MC. The worst was on a RD 350 in turn 10 at Sears Point. I tried to take 10 flat out. The stock mount for the foot pegs was under the exhaust. Hanging off the RD it was on the back tire and the foot peg bar. The front tire was leveraged off the ground free wheeling. Lucky for me it came back on the tire Ok when I exited the corner. :dribble:

My FJR has the wilbers front & rear before I rode it. I still like to hang off but have touched nothing on the FJR or SV 650. I have ground a number of other bikes.

I want to see pictures. I would think it's imposible to touch with properly mounted bags. TJ

PS Radman want to trade for some new pegs. Your ground up pegs will allow me to be a poser at WFO. :p

I have ground on MC. The worst was on a RD 350 in turn 10 at Sears Point. I tried to take 10 flat out. The stock mount for the foot pegs was under the exhaust. Hanging off the RD it was on the back tire and the foot peg bar. The front tire was leveraged off the ground free wheeling. Lucky for me it came back on the tire Ok when I exited the corner. :dribble:
My FJR has the wilbers front & rear before I rode it. I still like to hang off but have touched nothing on the FJR or SV 650. I have ground a number of other bikes.

I want to see pictures. I would think it's imposible to touch with properly mounted bags. TJ

PS Radman want to trade for some new pegs. Your ground up pegs will allow me to be a poser at WFO. :p
Well, before this goes too far-the pics aren't mine :rolleyes: , though I see the way I worded the opening it would be assumed so, and I honestly didn't intend that. I would like to take credit for the grinding, but it's actually someone else, though I know the circumstance, and the bags were on and never touched. The pics were posted to illustrate this. So no, I won't be leadin' the pac at Reno........... ;) :D

Well, before this goes too far-the pics aren't mine :rolleyes: , though I see the way I worded the opening it would be assumed so, and I honestly didn't intend that. I would like to take credit for the grinding, but it's actually someone else, though I know the circumstance, and the bags were on and never touched. The pics were posted to illustrate this. So no, I won't be leadin' the pac at Reno........... ;) :D
If that was the result of your riding, and you lead the pack, you'd be riding alone pretty quick :) :lol: