DOH!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Keep your eyes up. Head level. Look at where you want the bike to go. " I kept telling myself. I was pushing hard on the bike and now the aproach speed seemed to fast. It was too fast and I knew it! I leaned and steered a course I thought would get me through. "Don't white knuckle it, let the suspension work. Relax your grip." Then I heard the noise and could feel the feedback into the bikes chassis. First the rearview mirror hit lightly and then the rear bag hit even harder.

"Damn these narrow basement doors!"

... a 5 mile stretch of light to moderate curves that I keep going back and fourth on...
Those five miles of road must be very picturesque! They’ve got some areas like that near Lake Powell. Yup, that brings back memories!

starnew.jpg
<--------->
kab1.jpg
Photos kind of remind me of the girls on Krypton. The further in you go, the tighter it gets!

I'm in negotiations with this guy to buy his bike (found it on this site in the classifieds) I was unaware of this thread, and he did not mention the bag damage. I was told the bike was spotless, had never been down, was like new, broken in like a baby 100%.

This story seems to contradict this. I don't see how you could scrape a bag--and even if you could, I would think you'd have to be running the hell out of it--certainly not gingerly breaking it in.

Should I run away and never look back?

Soon to be FJR owner (may have to wait on '07)

Grievous

I'm in negotiations with this guy to buy his bike (found it on this site in the classifieds) I was unaware of this thread, and he did not mention the bag damage. I was told the bike was spotless, had never been down, was like new, broken in like a baby 100%.
This story seems to contradict this. I don't see how you could scrape a bag--and even if you could, I would think you'd have to be running the hell out of it--certainly not gingerly breaking it in.

Grievous

There are other used FJR's that you can buy, instead of wating on an 07.

Should you run away? Do as Napoleon Dynamite suggested.."Just listen to your heart, Pedro. That's what I do."

I'm really trying to give the benefit to D. Hice on this discussion. But for what it's worth, I've had road contact with both pegs on my new 2006 and both hard bags are scratchless. Could suspension setting and rider weight create enough suspension compression to make this a real event for a soft setup with higher rider weight?

No. Way. I'm not looking at my bike at the moment, but wouldn't yer bar ends scrape 'bout the same time as the bags? I mean, smells like merde waaay before that consideration. Just sayin.

Grievous
Run. Wether or not his apocryphal tale is fact or otherwise, I would doubt that the damage he claims is present. The cause......maybe 'nother story.

Went to look - the hard parts with scrape marks on the left side are: Peg feelers, side stand, center stand, exhaust (from amount of wear, I think they touch in that order). No marks whatsoever on the bag. Anyway, glad you were able to walk away with minimal bike damage and no injury.

Well it's nothing near as bad as I have seen other complain about but I got my first road rash today. I am still out practicing and getting the feel of the new bike. I have a 5 mile stretch of light to moderate curves that I keep going back and fourth on. When I got to work today I looked and noticed I have been dragging my left saddlebag :( Oh well, my fault for putting them back on again. I had been learning to ride without them so if I dropped it I wouldn't ruin the bags.
Just remember to close the lids next time.

Grievous
Do what Hice never did, take a picture of the bag and post it here. As far as whether or not to buy the bike, rest assured, he didn't ride it to the limits he implies because, as already posted, it didn't happen without pics!

If he did in fact crash and replaced all the other parts, a scraped reflector on a bag wouldn't be too much to replace either.

Just because the guy you are buying the bike from is a tard doesn't mean the bike isn't a good deal.