Down Force

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ordrock

Reaction score
Having ridden for all of my life on a motorcycle and realizing the wear of motorcycle tires, I am a bit astonished with the short life of the front tire of my 2007 FJR. It has been my experience to go through two rear tires before replacing the front tires.

I have 7700 miles on my bike and already the front tire needs replacing. The rear tire is doing fine. I’m sure I’ll be able to get through the summer before replacing the tire. I’ll do the rear tire during the down time of snow covered roads this winter.

This is the first bike with a front fairing and windshield. I’m wondering if the front fairing and windshield provide enough down force to cause the front tire wear. Has any other riders experienced excessive front tire wear. I ride on well ridden roads and freeways. The road surfaces that I mostly ride aren’t new knarly freshly paved.

This is the first bike with ABS, does the ABS put more friction on the front wheel when just rolling the road?

If anyone has had the same wear on the front tire I would like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks

Semper Fi

I'll have to leave this thread where it is...as I've never seen somebody posit down force on a front tire wear before. No, I doubt it's a downforce issue. Most people tend to go through tires in 9,000 to 12,000 range IIRC.

Generally, tire wear is NEPRT bound because of the myriad of variables. However, ABS isn't one of those...unless your stabbing your brakes and invoking ABS all the time. How about tire pressure?

I'd be more suspicious of chip seal roads.....aka bituminous asphalt....aka oil and rock roads. They're hard on tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the FJR Community.

Plain and simple, the FJR is a front tire eater. What your seeing is perfectly normal.

It"s not downforce, just the geometry of the bike's setup, rake ect. that most likely causes that. Running the front tire a bit harder helps with cupping and might get you a few extra miles as well.

That reminds me.... when I had the BMW K1200LT, the only bike I've ever owned (among many) that would consistently wear out the front before the rear. Never on the feejer. I think that the LT was very heavy in front and very capable in the curves ( for a big bike) and yeah, I pushed it hard...... sometimes :lol:

I've had pretty much the same issue with my front tire and I attributed it to how much weight I was putting on the front end of the bike...I'm 6' 2" 250. But since I installed the Helibar, I've noticed I'm putting alot less weight on the front end. So, I'm hoping my next set of tire will wear more evenly.

I'm just now going to change my front tire on my 07 for the first time - I'm at 9700 miles and it really cupped - so much so it's beginning to make me uncomfortable riding on it the way it is. I changed my rear tire a little early - it was at almost 8,000 miles - I'm sure I could have ridden it for anouther 1k but I had a big ride coming up and was due for an oil change anyhow.

Switching to Michelin PR2s - everyone seems to like them. The one I have on the back has about 2k on it and I like the feel alot.

If they are the OEM BT-020's, I can't believe either tire made it 7700 miles, especially the front. The 020s are shit. Man I hope I get at least that from this new set. BTW, this is a pretty heavy bike with the ability to be ridden harder than some. It will take it's toll on tires. Maybe not specifically down force, but sheer weight and riding style.

I put 45,000 miles on an '03 and currently have 25,000 miles on my '07. I get about 8500 miles on a set of tires on both bikes. However the front tire always wears out first on the '07. I typically run 40 psi on the front and 42 psi on the rear. It appears I will get about 10,000 miles per set with PR2's.

damn. Maybe I'm using that right hand twisty thing too much. I get around 6k on the rear and 8-9k on the frontal units.

Last edited by a moderator:
It totally depends on riding style... Too little pressure will increase wear too...

I run 41 41... My front lasts about 1.5 rears... but I ride reasonable hard most of the time

PR2 has about 6500 miles on it now.... rear is bieng watched for sure, front thus far is fine.. Going to put on about 7-800 miles this weekend 2 up

But I am a really small guy at 6 . 1 and 285lbs

It totally depends on riding style... Too little pressure will increase wear too...

I run 41 41... My front lasts about 1.5 rears... but I ride reasonable hard most of the time

PR2 has about 6500 miles on it now.... rear is bieng watched for sure, front thus far is fine.. Going to put on about 7-800 miles this weekend 2 up

But I am a really small guy at 6 . 1 and 285lbs
------ okay small!!...... and his mellon is as big as George Lopez's........ :yahoo: :yahoo:

I'll have to leave this thread where it is...as I've never seen somebody posit down force on a front tire wear before. No, I doubt it's a downforce issue. Most people tend to go through tires in 9,000 to 12,000 range IIRC.
Generally, tire wear is NEPRT bound because of the myriad of variables. However, ABS isn't one of those...unless your stabbing your brakes and invoking ABS all the time. How about tire pressure?

I'd be more suspicious of chip seal roads.....aka bituminous asphalt....aka oil and rock roads. They're hard on tires.

I have the recommended tire pressure from the owners manual. I check it and adjust it about twice a month. I ride this thing daily. The tires are the Metzler Roadtec Z6. The tire has pretty even wear, no real cupping. I used to get cupping pretty bad when I ran Dunlops on my V65 Sabre on the freeways in S. Cal.

Just ordered the front tire from Motorsports.com. They were the lowest priced I found on the internet.

I do ride it pretty hard. Between Portland and my home in the eastern side of the state, i ride about 85-90 mph, so I guess I put it through its paces. The highway along the Columbia has some big sweepers, and the tire still grips like a champ. Should have the tire put on after my three TDY's in Aug.

I have the recommended tire pressure from the owners manual. I check it and adjust it about twice a month. I ride this thing daily. The tires are the Metzler Roadtec Z6. The tire has pretty even wear, no real cupping. I used to get cupping pretty bad when I ran Dunlops on my V65 Sabre on the freeways in S. Cal.

Just ordered the front tire from Motorsports.com. They were the lowest priced I found on the internet.

I do ride it pretty hard. Between Portland and my home in the eastern side of the state, i ride about 85-90 mph, so I guess I put it through its paces. The highway along the Columbia has some big sweepers, and the tire still grips like a champ. Should have the tire put on after my three TDY's in Aug.

Had my origianl front tire changed today at about 9700 miles - there is a HUGE difference in handling and cornering. Had a PR2 put on - cornering is much more stable and much smoother. I should have replaced that oem Bt 020 turd along time ago. All is well again.