Dunlop Roadsmart Street/ST Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to my calculations, that translates to 3,500 miles before contacting the wear bars and a possible 4,000 mile or better total tread life. That would definitely put the Dunlop RoadSmart at the top of my mileage list, running close to a ME880 for tread life.

Jeff, how many miles did you get outta the stock BT-020s - i.e. how aggresively do you usually ride? I have 8,500 miles on my stock tires (rear should have been replaced about 1000-1500 miles ago as it's a slick and the fronts have all but 1/32" of tread groove left so they should have gone the way of the Dodo 500-1000 miles ago.

From what everyone says I'd like the Roadsmarts but if I only get ~4-5k miles on them I'm going to have to go with something longer lasting. I don't ride aggresively all that often (as evidenced by my stock tire life) so if I can get 5.5-6.5k outta the Roadsmarts I'll order a set tomorrow.

As a side note I was going to try and put off spending $300 for a set of tires until next month. Since there was a chance of rain today and I have no tread left on the bike tires I decided to take the truck in to work. When I filled up (24 gallons) my truck and spent $98.39 I realised that I'll save money by getting the tires now and riding the bike. :)

According to my calculations, that translates to 3,500 miles before contacting the wear bars and a possible 4,000 mile or better total tread life. That would definitely put the Dunlop RoadSmart at the top of my mileage list, running close to a ME880 for tread life.

Jeff, how many miles did you get outta the stock BT-020s - i.e. how aggresively do you usually ride? I have 8,500 miles on my stock tires (rear should have been replaced about 1000-1500 miles ago as it's a slick and the fronts have all but 1/32" of tread groove left so they should have gone the way of the Dodo 500-1000 miles ago.

From what everyone says I'd like the Roadsmarts but if I only get ~4-5k miles on them I'm going to have to go with something longer lasting. I don't ride aggresively all that often (as evidenced by my stock tire life) so if I can get 5.5-6.5k outta the Roadsmarts I'll order a set tomorrow.

As a side note I was going to try and put off spending $300 for a set of tires until next month. Since there was a chance of rain today and I have no tread left on the bike tires I decided to take the truck in to work. When I filled up (24 gallons) my truck and spent $98.39 I realised that I'll save money by getting the tires now and riding the bike. :)
Jeff has been doing us Forum members a great service and ranking the tires for us...there should be a great thread on it if you use google tires site: fjrforum

Heck...if you google tires...I bet Jeff's name and picture pop up. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, how many miles did you get outta the stock BT-020s - i.e. how aggresively do you usually ride?
I've never run the BT-020. My bikes came with Z4s and Z6s.

Most people in other areas where the road surfaces are typically much better than here, average 2-3 times my tire life.

The Dunlop RoadSmarts should be one of the longer tread life tires you can buy, similar to Mich PR2s.

Today's 300 miles :) finished off my front BT-021. Front: Not dual compound, 4k miles. Rear: Dual compund, probably another 2k left.

I think Jeff told me (word of God, in tire talk) that PR2s and RoadSmarts are currently the only Dual-Compounds available for the FJR. That's crucial for any meaninful mileage. Given the $60 lower price (that's 20%), I chose the Roadsmarts.

Purchased a set last week, and plan to install them this weekend.

Jeff has been doing us Forum members a great service and ranking the tires for us...there should be a great thread on it if you use google tires site: fjrforum
Heck...if you google tires...I bet Jeff's name and picture pop up. laugh.gif
Yeah, I saw his tire comparison thread...just didn't see the BT-020s on it...

I've never run the BT-020. My bikes came with Z4s and Z6s.
Most people in other areas where the road surfaces are typically much better than here, average 2-3 times my tire life.

The Dunlop RoadSmarts should be one of the longer tread life tires you can buy, similar to Mich PR2s.
...and that explains the lack of the 020s. I forgot that some of the feejers came with the Metz.

Thanks for the info Jeff - if you're gonna get ~4k on the Roadsmarts and I get 6k+ on them then there's not really any more question in my mind - I'm ordering a set tomorrow! :D

Quick price check Roadsmart

Motorcycle Superstore F&R $269 with shipping to my zip code

MotoXoutlet F&R $252 with shipping

Southwest F&R $251 with shipping

I thought one of the Pirelli's were also dual compound? Not familar with Pirellis.

Wonder if they will be as pricey as the PR2s?
I've got a price of $144 rear / $112 front ($256/set) from Tire Express (Link!) (This is ~17% less than their price for the PR2s; $174 rear / $135 front; $309/set). I think that's pretty reasonable...
Just a note: If you live in the Albuguerque area, R&S Kawasaki Suzuki has the Road Pilot 2 at $261.54 a set for the FJR. That's tax included. Best price I have seen yet. Bought 2 sets for our 2 FJRs. Don't know what they sell the Dunlops for, but I know they are somewhat less.

Quick price check Roadsmart
Motorcycle Superstore F&R $269 with shipping to my zip code

MotoXoutlet F&R $252 with shipping

Southwest F&R $251 with shipping

I thought one of the Pirelli's were also dual compound? Not familar with Pirellis.
Just got a mailer from Motorcycle Superstore with $20 off purchase of $200 or more, coupon code C408CTLG20, good through 7/21/08....

I've bought tires from them before and have been happy with the process. Haven't used the others. Have no affiliation with any of them.

Here's the tread depth numbers:
New RoadSmarts in my garage floor range from 6.5 to 6.8 mm center area tread depth.

1,800 miles on the test tire to date.

Approximately 1,000 of that could be considered slab.

Almost all miles have been fully loaded, two-up, and I mean ALL the winter gear on the riders with three bags packed to the brim.

Center tread depth ranges from 3.5 to 3.8 mm (Approx. 3.0 mm used)

Probably the most positive thing I can say about the RoadSmart's life, is that it still handles very much like a new tire, mainly because it has retained most of its original shape/contour, despite extensive two-up, fully-loaded mileage.

I'll try to shoot some photos for contour comparison during daylight tomorrow.

Heck...if you google tires...I bet Jeff's name and picture pop up. :lol:
Amen to that, Wheaton!

Jeff, thanks for a real-world evaluation of the Roadsmarts. Let us know how they wear to the end and your mileage so we can factor our own x1.5 or x2 expected mileage. Now I can make an "educated" replacement purchase after I use the PR2s I have waiting in my garage. ;)

Just noted something else. I was reading the official Dunlop website and caught this:

"MT-Multi-Tread compound rear tire incorporates a long-wearing compound in the center of the tire tread and a lateral-grip compound on each shoulder to maximize cornering performance and provide class-leading grip and feel."

Compound rear tire? Is the front tire not blended the same way?

Just noted something else. I was reading the official Dunlop website and caught this:
"MT-Multi-Tread compound rear tire incorporates a long-wearing compound in the center of the tire tread and a lateral-grip compound on each shoulder to maximize cornering performance and provide class-leading grip and feel."

Compound rear tire? Is the front tire not blended the same way?
Yeah I read that too. I'm guessing that means they plan on the front and the rear wearing out at the same time? With 'normal' riding I have used 2 rears to each front past several years on both bikes. Last year I used 4 rears and 2 fronts on the FJR in 16,000 miles. Now maybe the front and rear Roadsmarts will wear out at the same time? Is that a good thing?

The Pilot 2's front and rear have multi compound, but the front hard center is different from the rear hard center.

It's my understanding from the reviews that the Roadsmart front is NOT a dual compound, but given the V shaped wearing of a front dual compound tire (I can't remember which thread I saw that wear pattern but it was on this forum) I'm not so sure the non-dual compound front isn't a good thing.

Oh, and I ordered my Roadsmarts from Southwest Moto today - I'm looking forward to having new shoes on baby in a couple days.

I didn't think any manufacture was making a dual compound front. But what do I know...... :dntknw: One thing I do know is I won't be using a B-21 front ever again. And keep up the good work Jeff. PM. <>< ;)

I ordered RoadSmarts fro SW Moto Monday afternoon. Got em today. AZ to MA in less than 48 hours. I like their service so far.

A couple things I noticed while removing the shipping cardboard and straps:

1. The dual compound is very discernable just by dragging your finger across the tire width. Much softer and tackier at the outer thirds of the tire. The center is quite firm, noticeably less tacky to the touch.

2. The thickness of the tread at the sides is quite a bit thinner than in the middle section. I guess this makes sense for me since the rear tire on my bike is currently just the opposite.

I've been running Avon's (2 Azaro, 1 Storm) which have quite a heavy thickness of tread right out to the edge of the tire. I guess the Dunlops will allow me to toss less rubber into the landfill when I'm done with them.

As others have noted the profile is different also. Perhaps it is due to the thinner side tread, perhaps to the different construction, but the edges of the tread surface are closer to the rim- in other words the tire crossection is more rounded compared to the Avon's flatter profile. I've seen this descibed in a diagram somewhere- maybe Dunlop website??

I should have them on the bike soon. I hope I'm as happy with these as I am with the Storms. Most of my miles are logged commuting, so I'm hoping the dual compound configuration will let me squeeze a few more miles out of the rear without giving up the performance I like with the Storms.

Got my new RS's spooned on today. Haven't thrown them back on the bike, but I'll give them a ride tomorrow via the twisty route to work.

Hopes are up for these buns...

I have had my roadsmarts on for about 2000 miles and like them so far. I had Pirellis on before. It felt like the roadsmarts were more confidence inspiring but its just probably due to them being new rubber. The Pirellis were on the bike when I got it and had 1 track day on them. I have no complaints on performance from either tire, but I do like having a groove all the way across the rear tire for wear indication.

Ordered a set of Pilot Road 2's today from sw moto. Guess I'm way over due. I have 12,000 miles on the original bridgestones. Road in to work in the rain today BAD IDEA! I made it though. Hopefully make it home too.

Code Name Quantity Price/Ea. Total

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

87-9678 Pilot Road 2 120/70ZR-17 1 $131.95 $131.95

87-9684 Pilot Road 2 180/55ZR-17 1 $161.95 $161.95

Shipping: SWMT Shipping: $0.00

Sales Tax: $0.00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total: $293.90

Pilot Road 2's .......... Total: $293.90
I ordered them from MotoX at $292 with ship, the front shipped but the rears are back ordered till July 15 - estimate from Michelin. So I ordered a set of Roadsmarts. They shipped today. I am hoping I still have a couple thousand miles left on my present set so I won't mount the Roadsmarts till late June. I'll report after I run them on my 4,000 mile NE-NB trip in early July.

I guess I should be Happy :yahoo: I'm getting close 7,000mi Front & Rear on ME880; they can handle all the Curves on Hwy 1 & surrounding Roads on the Central Coast; looking forward to a Great Touring Year :yahoo: