Ear Plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Rider

Reaction score
I'm gradually losing my hearing, probably from work and riding a motorcycle. I have tried to use ear plugs while riding, but the wind noise sounds deeper and louder. I've tried it four or five times to see if it was my imagination, it wasn't. It is almost like the sound of the wind hitting the helmet is transferred through the ear plugs somehow. I have tried different types of ear plugs (two different foam plugs, and some wax type that can be molded to fit your ear. They all seem to have the same effect. Has anyone else had an issue with this.

I will usually wear ear plugs if I am riding any distance, it seems to help some. I just got my 2005 FJR today and was riding around a little playing with the windshield height. I have the Cee Bailey with the reverse curve. I was really surprised how much quieter it was when I raised it up just under my eyes. The wind noise seemed like it vanished. It might be something to consider.

I'm gradually losing my hearing, probably from work and riding a motorcycle. I have tried to use ear plugs while riding, but the wind noise sounds deeper and louder. I've tried it four or five times to see if it was my imagination, it wasn't. It is almost like the sound of the wind hitting the helmet is transferred through the ear plugs somehow. I have tried different types of ear plugs (two different foam plugs, and some wax type that can be molded to fit your ear. They all seem to have the same effect. Has anyone else had an issue with this.

I will usually wear ear plugs if I am riding any distance, it seems to help some. I just got my 2005 FJR today and was riding around a little playing with the windshield height. I have the Cee Bailey with the reverse curve. I was really surprised how much quieter it was when I raised it up just under my eyes. The wind noise seemed like it vanished. It might be something to consider.
I have a Cee Bailey w/flip, it does help. The problem I'm having is when I wear ear plugs the wind rushing by my helmet sounds like a deep rumble which eventually gives me a headache. When I take the ear plugs out it is such a relief and seems quieter. I know it doesn't sound possible but that's the way it is for me. Like I mentioned before, it is almost like the wind noise is transferred through the ear plugs somehow. At first when I was wearing foam plugs I thought maybe they are sticking out too far, touching the helmet liner and the noise is being transferred that way. After wearing some moldable type, they did the same thing and I know they weren't sticking out far enough to touch anything other than my ear itself.

I have noticed a similar situation regarding earplugs but not quite as bad as you're experiencing. I have tried several types of plugs and for me there doesn't seem to be much noticeable decrease in sound with them in. What I do notice however is that I seem to have much less ringing in my ears at the end of the ride with the plugs in. So, I pretty much always wear them. Agreed that this might be a frequency thing. Maybe the high pitch sounds are removed by the plugs making the low pitch sounds more noticeable. Not sure... that's been my theory anyway.

I have a Cee Bailey w/flip, it does help. The problem I'm having is when I wear ear plugs the wind rushing by my helmet sounds like a deep rumble which eventually gives me a headache. When I take the ear plugs out it is such a relief and seems quieter. I know it doesn't sound possible but that's the way it is for me. Like I mentioned before, it is almost like the wind noise is transferred through the ear plugs somehow. At first when I was wearing foam plugs I thought maybe they are sticking out too far, touching the helmet liner and the noise is being transferred that way. After wearing some moldable type, they did the same thing and I know they weren't sticking out far enough to touch anything other than my ear itself.
What brand/model of Helmet are you wearing? That could have a huge bearing on the issue.

I hate the foam plugs, don't think they work that well. I use the plastic ones with the cups, from the Sears power tool counter. I leave them on the string, but I make sure the string is inside my jacket collar, not hanging in the breeze, as that makes a whistle that picks up in the plugs.

What brand/model of Helmet are you wearing? That could have a huge bearing on the issue.
I wear a Shoei RF-1000
Those tend to be pretty quiet if properly fit.

When I had an RF1000, I use to get a very low freq rumble in my ears. It was a combo of the helmet and the dynamic of how the airflow played off the front fairing. It wasn't an FJR, then.

I tried one of those Windjammer cuffs that's made of neoprene and seals from your neck to the bottom of the helmet. It helped immensely but wasn't the best for our warm weather riding.

Regarding your windscreen, is that clean, smooth air rolling off that "flip" as you call it. I'd bet not because that was part of my problem. I had a fixed, Puig touring screen with a curved out lip or flip, I guess. That created a turbulent airflow that hit me right in the helmet. Being non adjustable, the only way I could make the noise stop was to lift myself up in to the clean, non turbulent air.

You may have a windscreen issue. My big Rifle with tuning block and my OEM windscreen with tuning block create no such phenomenon regardless of it's adjustment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Proper installation of the earplugs makes a huge difference in how well the plugs will attenuate the sound. If the plug is not sitting in the ear canal properly then there is little to be gained from using the plugs.

Most of the foam plugs require that you reach around the back of your head lift pull up and back on the ear to open up the ear canal to allow the plug to be properly inserted. I have included a link to the 3M site on inserting ear plugs.

ear plug instructions

Bustanut should use the type with strings attached so he can remove them when the plugs fall inside his empty head :p

Proper installation of the earplugs makes a huge difference in how well the plugs will attenuate the sound. If the plug is not sitting in the ear canal properly then there is little to be gained from using the plugs.

Most of the foam plugs require that you reach around the back of your head lift pull up and back on the ear to open up the ear canal to allow the plug to be properly inserted. I have included a link to the 3M site on inserting ear plugs.

ear plug instructions

Bustanut should use the type with strings attached so he can remove them when the plugs fall inside his empty head :p
Bust usually has his head in his ass and the strings are to pull it out. :p

Experiment with different types of foam plugs until you find the brand / style that work for you. I use foam plugs with a NRR of 33. The riding experience is much more enjoyable w/o the wind roar due to helmet design and windshields!

Good luck.

--G

ear plug instructions

Bust usually has his head in his ass and the strings are to pull it out. :p
Wouldn't he qualify as a Tampon of sorts? :blink:

ear plug instructions

Proper fitment might be an issue, I don't reach around and pull on the ear to open then canal. Will definitely try that next ride.

I buy the gooey orange Howard Leight NR33 corded and uncorded plugs for my work crews by the case. they are the best ear plug on the market attenuation, comfort, and durability. I can get a week's worth of use on 1 pair.

That being said, I have found what I consider to be a superior plug for use in a helmet and those are the soft silicon wads that you shape and mold. Personally, I love those things because they do not go way into the ear canal which even with the best Leights, can get uncomfortable if not painful when worn for hours at a time. They have plenty of attenuation for a motorcycle. They even worked well when I ran those Leo Vince SBK's on my FeeJ.

I buy the gooey orange Howard Leight NR33 corded and uncorded plugs for my work crews by the case. they are the best ear plug on the market attenuation, comfort, and durability. I can get a week's worth of use on 1 pair.

That being said, I have found what I consider to be a superior plug for use in a helmet and those are the soft silicon wads that you shape and mold. Personally, I love those things because they do not go way into the ear canal which even with the best Leights, can get uncomfortable if not painful when worn for hours at a time. They have plenty of attenuation for a motorcycle. They even worked well when I ran those Leo Vince SBK's on my FeeJ.
Funny you mentioned that. I just ordered a pair of these https://www.earplugsonline.com/ Figure I will try them. Only 3.90 for one pair shipped to the house. If I like them I can order more.

I have a RF 1000 and although I don't experiance what you are , I think it may be helmet related. The RF's cheek pieces can fit pretty tight along the bottom of the ear and along the jaw line. Vibration can be felt here and possibly be exaggerated by ear plugs.

Put in some ear plugs and then eat some potato chips...the sound is alot louder. So it might be your cheek pieces are too tight or are pressing on some part of your jaw that is amplifying wind noise.

Does it seem less loud if you open your mouth wide and take a deep breath?

Try removing the cheek pieces and see if that makes a differnce while wearing the ear plugs.

KM

Tree Doc has a real good point with the helmet fitment. Over time helmets loosen up some. I notice that a loose helmet will 'rub' the ear plugs and just about drive me bat shit crazy(er). Bought a new helmet liner (about $15 if I recall) and some fresh cheek pads and the problem disappeared. This is especially pronounced if the helmet is being buffeted around some. Throw in air leakage around the ears from the bottom of the helmet and very well could be noiser than without ear plugs in.

ear plug instructions Bustanut should use the type with strings attached so he can remove them when the plugs fall inside his empty head :p
Proper fitment might be an issue, I don't reach around and pull on the ear to open then canal. Will definitely try that next ride.
Fitment is everything like your helmet and gear. pull on the ear make sure you have a proper seat/seal. Like the walrus says, "There aint nothin' like a tight seal". ;)
I find ear plugs help greatly. I've tried many and I find these work best for me and are most comfortable on a day ride for mutiple days.

EAR Ultra Fit Earplugs.

48-053-161-01.jpg