Ear-plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You describe my feelings exactly - I do a lot of highway riding and worry about the potential for long term hearing loss.
I haven't yet come to terms with using drug store earplugs. Perhaps I'm just not inserting them correctly. Other than a bike show, do you know where custom plugs are available? Do they supply a generic plug then somehow 'lock' in the shape of your ear?

Jill
Not really sure of all the places to buy...my wife actually considered getting a set through her work since she works in a noisy environment. There are a bunch of local companies around that supply hearing protection and any one of those should be able to set you up. The ones I bought are created by spraying some kind of goop into the ears to make a mold which they build the plugs from. They weren't too expensive (well relative to my ears anyway) at around 50 bucks.

Darcy

Always wear foam ear plugs...and I can still hear the tunes from the Starcom.
Exactly.

I've been using the Wal-Mart version of the HL max pictured above. About $2/10. These can easily last me a month or more per pair and that's daily riding. I can't even go down to the store without them anymore - HUGE difference.

I think Rider or Motorcyclist had a good comparison of ear plugs recently. In the end orange wins.

I do find them occasionally difficult to put in, but the trick is to compress & twist before inserting. Don't insert straight in either. Insert with a slightly forward angle. Don't delay putting on your helmet. And sometimes repeat if they don't "seat" right. I can usually tell if they've "seated" by the amount of noise I hear (or can't) before putting on my helmet.

There have been raging debates on other forums about whether the common trick to put a little saliva on the earplug to ease insertion is a health concern or not. I tend to vote that any critters in my mouth aren't going to do my ears any harm, but some think it leads to ear infections.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Hint: once you find a brand and model of ear plugs you like, order them in bulk from an online industrial supply shop.  They become incredibly cheap.  I bought 200 Howard Leight plugs for $24 plus shipping.
+1 on the Howard Leight's. I use the "max Lite" which is slightly smaller and an easy fit. Once you have rolled them into a tube wet them with spit. Easier to insert, comfortable for all day riding. [wash them when finished riding]

Howard

Over the years working in the construction trade,shooting competitive skeet, trap and bench and using almost all available to mankind I have found that custom earmolds work the best when wearing for long periods of time. Easy to take in and out as necessary. I usually add over the ear muffs when shooting to help muffle more noise. I used the er-6's for awhile for sound in my helmet, I hate in helmet speakers, but found the er-6's a little uncomfortable on long hauls in a helmet. I have custom stereo earmolds now through Keith our local auto com vendor on this site. Heavier leads, great fit and sound. IMHO these are the best for in helmet use for noise reduction and sound.

I hate in helmet speakers...
Most helmets have small indentations around the ear. You can semi-permanently install the speakers from a StarCom-type system in them my removing the styrofoam section in your helmet and taping the speakers & wiring to the styrofoam then recovering with the cloth liner as needed.

With a little care the styrofoam section can be pulled out of most helmets even those that don't have so called "removeable" liners, like my Shoei 900 & HJCs. At that point the speakers are absolutely undetectable (unless of course you've got Mickey Mouse ears :D ).

I didn't see these mentioned. I use Flents. Of course after I found these and determined that I liked them the drug store stopped carrying them. I haven't been able to find them anywhere else. I used one pair (cleaned regularly) of plugs designed for swimming for a long time. I don't think they were the best for hearing music though. I am very happy with the Flents. I just need to find some more.

Mark

I've read that the use of ear plugs to reduce wind noise is a good idea.  So far, I haven't had any success with them.
What do ear-plug-users recommend?

Jill
Jill,

I have worked the last 30+ yrs. in a very noisy environment and have ridden nearly as long. I've tried the various "over the counter" ear plugs with varied and mostly marginal success.

I have used the custom fitted ear plugs available from your local audiologist for a very long time now and wouldn't be without them. Properly fitted, they are the best for noise reduction and I highly recommend them. Generally the cost is $45 to $60 a pair. If you do get custom made plugs and they don't fit right or don't cancel out the noise as you would like, take them back and complain. They should replace them for you. Over the years I've had some that just didn't fit right and had no problem having them replaced at a very nominal cost if any.

I've read that the use of ear plugs to reduce wind noise is a good idea. So far, I haven't had any success with them.

Jill
Best thing is to keep trying different kinds.. and both your ear canals may not be the same size either...

I do have a ringing in my ears... form riding with no earplugs.. the bike doesnt' bother me, but the wind noise from both riding and driving with the windows open did it...

Use foam now, and am ordering some Emotics... cause i'm going to get a Ipod finally <G>

Mary

I wear ear protection constantly for my day job, not just when out riding. Even though everyone swears by brand XYZ, doesn't really mean anything. The Howard Leight's Max and Max Lites for instance, I can't keep either of them in for more than a few hours without some serious pain setting in.

I can wear a full size ear plug, but I have found for the most comfort over the longest period of time, without giving up any sound protection, I lean toward the small sizes of disposable ear plugs.

(FWIW - which isn't much) I use the E-A-R Classic 'Amigo' style which are the small version. Nothing fancy, but I can wear 'em all day and night with no pain.

I would recomend this $10.00 Aerostich Disposable Earplug Sample Kit #1100 as a way to test all brands before setting up for a 200 pair box.

Cheap foam Hearos. I buy them in bulk off the internet. You put a pair here, put a pair there and you always have them on hand. I had a pair of custom ones and they actually are not as comfy as the foam.

-r

Finally, I'm willing to give the rubber plugs one more try, but want to listen to music and other things while riding pretty badly. I ordered a set of Etymotic ER-6 off eBay for $95 and crossing my fingers because so many others rave about them.
Jill,

I use the Hearos foam ear plugs from Walgreens (33db attenuation).

I also have the Etymotic ER-6 headphones and didn't care for their foam plugs. So I make my own from the Hearos. I cut the tip of the foam plug off and then take a hole punch to make the tube for the earphone to fit into. You have to compress the plug to get it to fit into the hole punch and then squeeze the handle a bunch of times to cut the edges for the tube. Then pull what's cut out. I find that's the best of both worlds.

I've read that the use of ear plugs to reduce wind noise is a good idea. So far, I haven't had any success with them.

Jill
Dan't need them anymore when traveling. No more deafening wind blast noise. The Cee Bailey's +4 cured that for me. :) B)