earbud comparison help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy the Westone UM-2
Looking at those inpired me to do a search of "Comply Canal Tips". I found they were a local company and I also found these: TrickAudio. They are the same thing as offered by Comply, but a little less expensive. It's a cheap way to find out if you can stand to have buds in your ear for any length of time.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Hearos and helmet speakers. Hearos are so soft, they are comfortable for 10+ hours so that's the noise supression component.

The er4's stick out of the ear farther than the er6's. Could be uncomfortable getting the helmet on and off and also comfor while riding. The er6's and 6i's iirc are the same physically. The sound response is different in the bass etc or something to this effect.
ah, thanks, good to know. The er6's are just about right for size, bigger may be a problem.

same goes for any of the noise cancelling ones, they are just too big, can't see them fitting in a helmet (though I haven't tried, I probably should first)

My .02 worth..The ER6's have better frequency response than the 6i's. For once, I can actually hear the result that the spec's claim. I started with the 6i's then was forced to the 6's due to StarComm issues. After using the 6's, I'm much happier with them over the 6i's.

BTW - if you are running a StarComm, you should be using the 6's. The 6i's were designed for low level audio output devices like mp3 players, ipods, etc. and have a very low impedance value, IIRC, about 15 ohms. The StarComm unit has a relatively high impedance value of IIRC ~36 ohms.

When I run the 6i's with the StarCom on hot days, the StarCom's audio power amplifier goes into thermal meltdown with resultant shitty sound. The thermal 'meltdown' is due to the StarComm having to source more current into the lower impedance 6i's, combined with ambient heat. This happened *EVERY* time ambient temp exceeded 85F.

Since using the 6's, IIRC, ~45 ohms impedance, the StarComm has not failed once.

YMMV.
Hmm thats very interesting. I used to have ER-6's and now am running ER-6i because they seem to fit me better. I always run them where the ambient temperature is over 85F (hell, its usually over 100) and have never had any problems with my StarComm.
True. Most folks haven't had problems running the 6i's and StarComm combo. It all depends upon what parts and how close to tolerance from production they were equals the results of mine or yours. Any which case, it's always best to match the amplifiers output impedance with the load (speaker/earbud) value. Especially when the 6's have better sound.. IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada :rolleyes:

My .02 worth..The ER6's have better frequency response than the 6i's. For once, I can actually hear the result that the spec's claim. I started with the 6i's then was forced to the 6's due to StarComm issues. After using the 6's, I'm much happier with them over the 6i's.

BTW - if you are running a StarComm, you should be using the 6's. The 6i's were designed for low level audio output devices like mp3 players, ipods, etc. and have a very low impedance value, IIRC, about 15 ohms. The StarComm unit has a relatively high impedance value of IIRC ~36 ohms.

When I run the 6i's with the StarCom on hot days, the StarCom's audio power amplifier goes into thermal meltdown with resultant shitty sound. The thermal 'meltdown' is due to the StarComm having to source more current into the lower impedance 6i's, combined with ambient heat. This happened *EVERY* time ambient temp exceeded 85F.

Since using the 6's, IIRC, ~45 ohms impedance, the StarComm has not failed once.

YMMV.
Hmm thats very interesting. I used to have ER-6's and now am running ER-6i because they seem to fit me better. I always run them where the ambient temperature is over 85F (hell, its usually over 100) and have never had any problems with my StarComm.
True. Most folks haven't had problems running the 6i's and StarComm combo. It all depends upon what parts and how close to tolerance from production they were equals the results of mine or yours. Any which case, it's always best to match the amplifiers output impedance with the load (speaker/earbud) value. Especially when the 6's have better sound.. IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada :rolleyes:
Thanks D! Tht's what I was hoping for. Couldn't read or post yeterday, waaayyy too busy yesterday what w/ Rainbowfest all day yesterday, and 3 more events I think we cleared every nut/drunk out of the Nside. Now I'm going to bed, my back is killing from getting kicked repeatedly by our suicidal methhead last night!

I picked up a pair of these at wallymart, and they are great!

You can wear them for about 8 hours of riding without any discomfort. After 8 hours, anything thats jammed into your ear canal is going to cause a little discomfort.

They block out about as much sound as the little squishy ear plugs that everyone uses, sound quality is fine. 8-23,000 htz.

Plus only $20!

clicky

I have ER6i's and they are nice but don't sound as good as my Shures.

I can never get my helmet on without knocking the ER6i's loose? How does everyone manage it?

I got some custom plastic pluggies made at a motorcycle show last year. They are the best, although they're looking a bit grungy after several months of daily wear. They cut down the wind noise tremendously and are comfortable to wear for the longest of rides.

I have Chatterbox speakers in the helmet, cranked up loud to provide music that gets through the pluggies.

Considering some similar pluggies, with speakers molded in. Anyone got experience with that? I want to listen to my I-pod music while riding.

Jill

custom earbuds are [more] comfortable
Rich[er] bass. And [infinitely more] comfortable. Wore mine through three straight tanks of gas coming back from Utah (660 miles) and never needed to remove them.
gunny!

11 days of in-ear custom-molded ear monitors and they did better than anything else I could imagine having stuffed into my ears for up to 20 hours or more each day.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/ear/ear.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I can never get my helmet on without knocking the ER6i's loose? How does everyone manage it?

Some of us don't wear our helmets quite as tight as others. Mine has room without my helmet moving around. Flips usually work well with these as you can get the helmet on easier with the flip up.

Last edited by a moderator:
i had the same issue.

1) use the foamies, they stay in there better.

2) wrap the cord up around your ear such that they get put in upside down. helps hold it in a bit better when putting the lid on.

3) shove it way the hell up there. I don't do this myself, but i suppose its an option. :)

i had the same issue.

1) use the foamies, they stay in there better.

2) wrap the cord up around your ear such that they get put in upside down. helps hold it in a bit better when putting the lid on.

3) shove it way the hell up there. I don't do this myself, but i suppose its an option. :)

You get your canal phones buried deep in your ears, and as you put your helmet on, they back out. Very frustrating. I ended up cutting a sheet of very thin teflon (like you find in a grocery store...the semi disposal cutting board type stuff). The strip is 4" wide and about 2' long. After inserting my earphones, I place the teflon strip over my head dangling down and covering my ears. Pull the helmet on, which glides down the teflon never touching the phones or cord, the buds staying in place. Then, I grab one side and pull the strip out of the helmet and all is well. You have to be willing to look like a clown for a second with the strip on your head....... but I got over that years ago.

I put it for "nevermind" which is my explanation for effing up a post by sending it to the wrong topic; or, of course, nirvana's breakthrough album... It could also have some cryptic reference to something that happened in New Mexico...

I can keep going--i'll be here 'til at least 5 today... :D

I have the S Plug with the single driver from Plugup.com and love them. They seal out the wind and other sounds very well, and fit comfortably under a tight full face helmet. Not only do I use them for riding, but when weed-eating and mowing the grass. I have an Ipod Nano that hangs from a lanyard around my neck, and I tuck it under my shirt. My first set developed a short after a year and a half, which I thought I could fix by taking the plug off and re-soldering. When that did not work, I returned them to Plugup for repair. I thought the warranty was good for only a year, but I received a new pair for $3 bucks. They also offer a 30 trial period.

Do any of these earbud/ headsets offer a mic so the phone function and voice works as well? The Bluetooth options leave a lot to be desired in excluding extraneous outside noise, but allow 2-way communication to an iPhone or GPS. I'd like to find that capability in a noise reducing earbud.