eBay junk FZ1 mirrors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spedboy

Reaction score
So I got suckered on eBay into buying the 'OEM' FZ1 mirrors. Guess what, they're definately not OEM parts. Package says 'EMGO'. Yay. Got one of them installed, and went to fold it in, for the sheer hell of seeing it happen, and *PING* the mirror assembly comes off in my hand while I stare in disbelief at the mount where it is still bolted to the bike.:rant:

The shaft around which the unit rotates is simply retained by a washer with the shaft end *PISS-POORLY* peened over it. What a POS. This happen to anyone else?

Regards,

Sped

Yes bought a pair but have not mounted them yet. Too bad. Probably not going to bother now. They are not Yamaha parts for sure. Was surprised by that on receipt.

I bought the carbon fiber version off eBay. No problems after 2 yrs, but I haven't had the nerve to fold them in yet. :D

I just bought a perfect used set of FZ1 mirrors from a guy on the FZ1 site for $50.

They look like they were never used. They'll be on the bike in a few days.

The only minor problem I found with the cheapies was the fact that they never stayed in place. I had to constantly re-adjust them.

Got my set from someone on FZ1 board, that bought them off e-bay. He gets the wonderful junk "EMGO" mirrors and resold to me from FZ1 classified. To his credit price was only $25, -I thinks ( in my brain )I getting real mirrors at great price. The "EMGO" mirrors arrive, ( new in packaging ) I'am not real happy but put them on bike. Big rearview improvement but, the cheap quality gives the bike the cheap sunglasses look. Mine must be more durable because I test them once or twice and they don't break "YET". Pushing bike 1 mph the right mirror bumps fence gate- It retracts halfway back ...... then breaks and falls off. NICE.

RATING: EMGO "FAKE" OEM FZ1 MIRRORS ----- 0 STARS!

I got the EMGO mirrors off Ebay, have had them installed for probably 6+ months now... although they do require me to adjust them frequently, that's probably because I fold them all the time... no performance issues to date (although the rubber base doesn't completely sit flush with the fairing). I'll use them till they break or get damaged, then go with the OEM parts from UM.

EMGO SUCKS!!!! I too foolishly bought those suckers off of ebay, as they were advertised as Yamaha OEM. <_< yeah, right.

The right one held up ok. . .but the left mirror was a bit fuzzy at higher speeds. Then, a few weeks ago as I was performing the TBS, I bumped into the left mirror. . .heard a *little* pop, and the mirror was dangling down a couple of inches. The cute little hollow hinge rod inside broke clean in two.

I'm glad I kept the stockers. I'll be ordering the real deal through Yamaha this time to be sure I get the OEM mirrors.

I haven't had any problems with the heads on my Emgos yet, but I reworked the joint part by drilling out the POS rivet and using bolts with double nuts. They work great so far, but if they ever give me trouble I'm callin' Gary for some OEM.

I bought the EMGO mirrors off ebay. I was not too happy that the ad said OEM when they weren't.

I snapped one by bumping into it hard. They are easily repaired by replacing the riveted section with a nut, bolt, and fender washers.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy true OEM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, one of my Emgo's snapped like a twig too. I asked the FJR community about it maybe a year ago and nobody had an EMGO-OEM repair solution. They use a funky flared post and I never found a tool that would re-assemble it. I went to a bolt and a stack of washers.

Eventually I went back to stock because I wanted the narrower profile for lane splitting.

Let me just say that I have the OEM FZ1 mirrors and they are even better quality than the fjr mirrors.

Adjustment, well lets just say that once you adjust them they do not get unadjusted and you practically need both hands to adjust them. I fold mine in everyday to give more walking room in the garage and they fold much better than the fjr mirrors.

Spend the money on the real thing you cheap bastards this is one thing that is definitely worth it...

to everyone who bought The "OEM" ebay crap. You can dispute the description as a fraudulent listing and get your money back.

Hell, My wife listed some of my daughters clothes on ebay (very accurately described might I add w pics). Some twit did not read descript and size then wanted money back. disputed w/paypal and they took the money back out of my account. Has happened 3 times!. Seller protection my ass! Take advantage of their crappy policy and nail this guy.

Its a easy fix . I added a stainless bolt and nylock nut as soon as I got my FZ1 Emgo replicas. I have been using them for more than 5 years now no problems.

Thanks, Dan

It was an easy fix for me, too. I removed them and put them in the shit can. Bolted the stock mirrors back on. All fixed! They not only wouldn't stay adjusted, but one of them FELL OFF in traffic! Would have been gone but I had some aux l.e.d. turn signals wired in and fastened to the outside edges of the mirrors. The wire kept it dangling. I kind of knew something was amiss when I unwrapped the package and looked at the one of the mirrors: big dimple in the backing giving a reflection like a fun-house mirror. Should have disputed it right then, but I figured it was cheap tuition for my lesson in stupid buying 101.

Last edited by a moderator: