ECU Replacement Turnaround Time By Dealer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLASH G

Reaction score
Are there any 07 owners out there who know how important it may be or not be to replace the ECU. I don't plan on doing much mountain driving and if and when I do, seems that if I rotate the throttle 1/4 of the way the fuel mixture will reset for the correct altitude.

The reason I question the need is I talked to the local shop and they told me the ECU cost is $1000.00 big ones and if I don't bring the bike in, they would be stuck with the cost. Because of that the shop says I would have to bring the bike in and then they would order the part. The ECU comes out of California and they say it will take 1 week for it to get to them. So my bike would sit at the shop for a week, and I'de rather not do that. If anyone has experienced the ECU problem It would be great to hear your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
First things first: did you receive the letter from Yamaha regarding the ECU replacement program for your '07? If so, there should be no need to take your bike to the dealer. A simple phone call to your shop's Service Advisor or Service Manager with a confirmation of your bike's VIN should be all that's required. And yes, they are correct that it does take about a week to receive the ECU from the time they place the order.

Once the ECU is received, it takes the dealer all of 20-30 minutes to make the swap and test the bike. Enough time to grab a cup of coffee and twist the throttle on a few bikes on the showroom floor! ;)

Answering your question regarding whether in fact it is necessary, no it's not. It fixes no other issues other than altitude sickness (that I'm aware of).

They're feeding you a partial line. They don't need your bike for the whole time.

They can check your VIN to see if the ECU has been replaced. If not, they can order with the ECU covered, have you bring your bike in, and swap out in less than 30 minutes.

Have them bring up the technical bulletin M0027-016 as alluded to in this thread including VIN numbers so you could check yourself to see if it's part of the affected series.

The dealer I go through to handle service bulletins, etc. ordered my ECU and called me when it came in - took about a week. I brought the bike to them that weekend and was out the door in under an hour. Like Iggy said, it sounds like your dealer's feeding you a line.

I had my 07 at the dealer last week for the ECU replacement and some PM work,they only needed the bike for a day. They only scheduled my service after the new ECU came in. As it has been said here before you do not have to change it but Yamaha is doing it for free so why not. If your dealer won't order the ECU without you keeping the bike there find another dealer.

Just remind them that you have just bought a 13k plus bike and need it for transportation. Then ask them which bike in their showroom are you going to ride while your bike sets in their shop needlessly.

I could understand the inconvenience if they had to tear down the motor to find the problem. But they know the problem and a promise to return to have the work done should suffice. If not find another dealer.

After checking VIN, ECU ordered one Saturday, arrived that Friday, set up an appt for nex day, took laptop to work while waiting, no time to plug it in, gone riding. My shop told me that if I did not come in within 30 days of receipt of the new ecu, then they would send it back to yammy for credit and then I would have to do it all over again. I don't think they would be stuck with it. Suggest that they order it and then call you to set up an appt. for install.

I called the shop in Lynnwood, WA where I bought mine this last Fri the 21st and they told me they had it and I could bring the bike down the next day and they would install while I wait. It took a hour but hey on a Sat afternoon who can complain.

First things first: did you receive the letter from Yamaha regarding the ECU replacement program for your '07? If so, there should be no need to take your bike to the dealer. A simple phone call to your shop's Service Advisor or Service Manager with a confirmation of your bike's VIN should be all that's required. And yes, they are correct that it does take about a week to receive the ECU from the time they place the order.
Once the ECU is received, it takes the dealer all of 20-30 minutes to make the swap and test the bike. Enough time to grab a cup of coffee and twist the throttle on a few bikes on the showroom floor! ;)

Answering your question regarding whether in fact it is necessary, no it's not. It fixes no other issues other than altitude sickness (that I'm aware of).
Yes I received the letter when I bought the bike used with 3000 miles on it. Believe it or not the local dealer will not do the replacement unless I bring the bike in and let it sit till they get the ECU. The more I deal with this dealer the more frustrated I become, their pricing is way high on everything and as explained their service sucks! I guess i'm better off driving out of town to a reputable dealer. Thanks for your advice!!

Yes I received the letter when I bought the bike used with 3000 miles on it. Believe it or not the local dealer will not do the replacement unless I bring the bike in and let it sit till they get the ECU. The more I deal with this dealer the more frustrated I become, their pricing is way high on everything and as explained their service sucks! I guess i'm better off driving out of town to a reputable dealer. Thanks for your advice!!
In addition to Hammer Time Sports in Belvidere, there are dealers in DeKalb and Woodstock, and also in Beloit and Darien, WI. One of them should be able to set things right, and as has been pointed out, it's only about a 20-minute procedure.

Best of luck,

--

John in Georgia, ex-IL

My dealer would not let me install it. That was the only restriction they had. I think I would find another dealer. Possibly the dealer thinks it is a liability issue and does not want you to ride untill it's fixed. He's not very well informed if that is the case, so better to find out now than after a major repair.

The more I deal with this dealer the more frustrated I become, their pricing is way high on everything and as explained their service sucks! I guess i'm better off driving out of town to a reputable dealer.
Probably a great candidate to name names on in the Dealer Feedback thread.

Dropped it off on a Thursday night, Friday after work I picked it up... They pre-ordered the part, called me when it came in...

You might want to find a dealer about an hour or more away (in a direction that is scenic) and explain the situation. Have them order it, you take a nice ride, they install while you browse the local shops, and then you ride home (the long way) with a smile and a new part... then email the local douchebags and tell them how easy it was to NOT deal with them.

C

Oh, please do post names and dealer location... I might have to pass thru that area some day and would like to give them no service...

Called my dealer's service department. I gave them the VIN, they said that they needed the bike to do a test on the ECU to see if it in fact does need to be replaced. They did confirm that my VIN does fall within the range of model numbers that were affected. I think this is bologna but wanted to check to see if anyone had heard of them testing it first before replacing it.

Called my dealer's service department. I gave them the VIN, they said that they needed the bike to do a test on the ECU to see if it in fact does need to be replaced. They did confirm that my VIN does fall within the range of model numbers that were affected. I think this is bologna but wanted to check to see if anyone had heard of them testing it first before replacing it.
They are full of s##t.

Yammie contacted them to contact me because THEY (Yammie) determined that my bike fell within the numbers that required replacement.... the dealer just did the swapout that they were told needed doing. How are they gonna check/test the part... ride to Pikes Peak and see if it surges? You can't test the actual climb rate of a rocket unless you light the fuse...

The part arrived at my dealer THEN he called me to bring'er in.

C

Just picked up my 07 today and inquired about the ECU. My dealer said he had it ordered and it was a $350.00 part. So you should tell your dealer he's either getting hosed on parts or trying to hose you. I told my guy thanks for the info on the part price but neither he nor I am going to pay for the part, it's covered by a TSB. By the way they said give em a week or just remind them when I bring the bike back for it's 600 mile check.