ECU Replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I stopped in at my local dealer the other day, because I wanted to get things set up to have my ECU changed out. I figured they could order any parts they need, and then I could take the bike in once the weather warms up. I was told that I had to bring the bike in before they could even order the parts. WTF? <_<

What has bee the process for those of you who have had your ECU replaced?

Got mine done right after the notice came out. My dealer ordered the part; took about a week, and THEN I took my bike in. It took them about two hours to have the bike out of the shop, so the actual work time musta been pretty short. Mine was also only the second one they had done. They don't need your bike sitting in the shop for a week waiting for a part to show up.

Same as HRZ. They ordered the part, it came in, they never called me, a few weeks went by, I had to call them, then brought the bike in and they installed the part while I waited. I had to re-install my seat that they couldn't seem to put back on right. Took about 40 minutes for the ECU swap. Yamaha has some of the strangest dealers I've had to deal with. But, there are some real good ones. PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually went to my dealer w/ the notiication letter; he ordered the part; I picked it up and installed it myself. I wanted to avoid any delays and didn't want a mechanic that probably has seen one FJR, working on mine. I returned the old ECU and we were done. It took me about 30 minutes to effect the changeout, once I had the part. Piece-O-Cake!!!

I was told that I had to bring the bike in before they could even order the parts. WTF?
This is your
CMS200731813473485416.jpg
and your dealer is yanking it.

My dealer just needed the VIN, he ordered the part, the part arrived within a week. He called me and I brought the bike down the next day and they installed it in 30 minutes. I would look around for a different dealership to do business with if possible.

My dealer just needed the VIN, he ordered the part, the part arrived within a week. He called me and I brought the bike down the next day and they installed it in 30 minutes. I would look around for a different dealership to do business with if possible.

Try just bringing him the reg with the VIN number.

I'd also go for the self service option if possible.

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought the dealer was full of crap!
He is. They don't need the bike to order the part. They will eventually need the VIN to show the work was done on that bike, but they don't need it up front.

If they give you any more static, call Yamah customer service 800# for help.

They are full of Shit! When I got the letter last Nov. I called to shop where I bought the bike to get set up. They already had the new ECU and installed it the next day, took about an hour :yahoo:

I would find another shop. I ordered mine with just the letter, picked it up, installed it myself, then returned the old ecu with the vin and mileage. done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same experience as with most others. Stopped by my dealer (SLO Motorsports), they ran the VIN, ordered the part, and called me when it came in (a couple of weeks). Made an appointment, took the bike in, walked up sthe street for a coffee, came back and it was ready. All very easy. Haven't noticed any difference, but I live more or less at sea level.

Same experience as with most others. Stopped by my dealer (SLO Motorsports), they ran the VIN, ordered the part, and called me when it came in (a couple of weeks). Made an appointment, took the bike in, walked up sthe street for a coffee, came back and it was ready. All very easy. Haven't noticed any difference, but I live more or less at sea level.

Idenical to my experience....different city.

My dealer had one in stock and had it installed the same day. Unfortunately, I had to leave my bike, because he had to order parts for the other recall items (Insturment Cluster & Trunk mod).

Well, I have now been to two dealers while on the bike, and called another one, and they have all told me that I have to leave the bike from the time they order the part, until they are done installing it. I think this is a total load of CRAP, but I only have one other dealer to try before I give up. Once again, this has proven to me that motorcycle dealers have some of the worst customer service of any industry in the world. I am really tempted to call Yamaha and bitch, but I doubt it will get me anywhere.

Has anyone in the Chicago area had a good experience with a dealer when it comes to changing out an ECU?

Well, I have now been to two dealers while on the bike, and called another one, and they have all told me that I have to leave the bike from the time they order the part, until they are done installing it. I think this is a total load of CRAP, but I only have one other dealer to try before I give up. Once again, this has proven to me that motorcycle dealers have some of the worst customer service of any industry in the world. I am really tempted to call Yamaha and bitch, but I doubt it will get me anywhere.
Has anyone in the Chicago area had a good experience with a dealer when it comes to changing out an ECU?
Maybe someone knows a dealership that will send you the new ECU, you install it and send them back your old ECU core? I would imagine they would need to hold a deposit and you'd pay for shipping back and forth but that way you would have the least down time.

Did you try the dealership you bought the bike at? Or did you buy used?

The dealership I bought the bike at told me over the phone that they would need to keep the bike, but I am going to stop by there once the weather gets better and see if they are willing to bend THEIR rules for me. If not, I am pretty much screwed.

The dealership I bought the bike at told me over the phone that they would need to keep the bike, but I am going to stop by there once the weather gets better and see if they are willing to bend THEIR rules for me. If not, I am pretty much screwed.
I don't understand why they wouldn't order the recall parts in and call you to bring your bike over once they arrive. Expecting people to leave their transportation there for weeks while they wait for a part to deliver is nutz.

Our dealer was emphatic that the bike had to be left for the top-case recall, knowing full well that I'd have no problem doing it myself. His point was they made a hard rule that they would absolutely only let their own people read the VIN numbers due to so many customers screwing up and the dealer ordering wrong parts. Since some of the VIN numbers in their computer had been supplied by customers when buying minor stuff, for recalls they insist on their people doing a fresh check of the VIN before ordering anything.

On a safety-related recall item like the top-box recall, he would not let me have the parts to put on or even take my own topbox home unless I wanted to cancel the whole thing. This recognized that it was still my box so I could just part ways with him and take it.

We negotiated. In the end, he kept the top box, read my VIN and then I took the bike. When the new box mounting hardware and baseplate came, I brought the bike back for his people to do the recall.