ECU Replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We negotiated. In the end, he kept the top box, read my VIN and then I took the bike. When the new box mounting hardware and baseplate came, I brought the bike back for his people to do the recall.
Exactly. Why would you possibly have to leave the bike to sit there in the shop after they see the VIN?

I had mine done last week. I stopped by the dealer and said I needed it done.

The service guy said he would call when the part came in...

But he called me the next day saying he needed the model number of my bike and the VIN. I gave him this info over the phone.

Two days later he called and said they got the new ECU and I told them I would stop by after work the next day.

Took about 20 minutes . (I killed the time drooling over new bikes in the showroom. )

Very painless and easy.

Not sure what all the fuss is about, but must add I have not done the Barbarian Mod so have no numbers to compare , but the bike did seem a tad bit smoother off the line...(this is of course the useless butt dyno, but I did notice a very very small difference in performance)

KM

I have an 06 with a power commander. Do I have to pull off the power commander to have the new UCU installed and checked out ?

Trigger T you could attend the SFO in AR and get it replaced there.

Man I would love to, but divorce attorneys just cost too much. My wife has given me passes for two trips for sure, and MAYBE a third one in the late fall. Sorry to say that SFO just isn't in the cards.

Well, I have now been to two dealers while on the bike, and called another one, and they have all told me that I have to leave the bike from the time they order the part, until they are done installing it. I think this is a total load of CRAP, but I only have one other dealer to try before I give up. Once again, this has proven to me that motorcycle dealers have some of the worst customer service of any industry in the world. I am really tempted to call Yamaha and bitch, but I doubt it will get me anywhere.
Has anyone in the Chicago area had a good experience with a dealer when it comes to changing out an ECU?
CALL YAMAHA AND COMPLAIN! Some of these Yamaha dealers are just plain weird. And yes there are some good ones. Just call the customer service and explain your situation and "tell" them in no certain terms would you "leave" your bike until the part comes in. Its your bike, not their's. I've had way more results from customer service than my dealer. It's too bad we have to call and complain about "service" with Yamaha. I never had these type of issues with my HD. And I've been to several dealers over the years. But I now do my own work unless its machine work etc. Good luck and keep us updated TT. PM. <>< ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My neighborhood Yamaha dealer surprised me twice last week.

First, they matched Ron Ayers' prices on some parts I needed.

Second, they ordered the parts for the ECU recall and the Yamaha trunk recall.

I had the bike's VIN on my insurance card and that was good enough! They'll call me when the parts come in.

It almost makes this latest 4 inches of snow bearable. Winter can't last forever :yahoo:

Man I would love to, but divorce attorneys just cost too much. My wife has given me passes for two trips for sure, and MAYBE a third one in the late fall. Sorry to say that SFO just isn't in the cards.
Tim,

I had the same response when I went to Nielsen in Lake Villa. "You have to leave the bike" I told them take my vin, call yamaha and then call me back. That was on Sat. Mon got a call your ECU has been ordered we will call you when it is in. It will take 30 minutes. If you upto a ride to Lake Villa, call them.

Is this ECU replacement all 06 and later bikes? I have horrible mail service and didn't receive any letter of recall. Is the letter required in order to have the service done or just take it in to the dealer and let them check the numbers?

Thanks,

Was just at the dealer's today and they had my VIN in their computer. They ordered both the ECU and trunk parts and said they would call me when the parts came in. Then drove the FJR home in this lovely weather!! Not to bad considering we got 12+ inches of snow yesterday!! Not sure why a dealer would make you leave your bike with them?!?!?!?

The dealer is in Waukegan, IL.

https://www.lakecountypowersports.com/map_hours.asp

Was just at the dealer's today and they had my VIN in their computer. They ordered both the ECU and trunk parts and said they would call me when the parts came in. Then drove the FJR home in this lovely weather!! Not to bad considering we got 12+ inches of snow yesterday!! Not sure why a dealer would make you leave your bike with them?!?!?!?
The dealer is in Waukegan, IL.

https://www.lakecountypowersports.com/map_hours.asp
Wow, a new fish from IL and I missed your intro :) welcome.

Just wondering if you are in lake Villa, why you did not go to nielsen?

My neighborhood Yamaha dealer surprised me twice last week.First, they matched Ron Ayers' prices on some parts I needed.

I had the bike's VIN on my insurance card and that was good enough! They'll call me when the parts come in.

It almost makes this latest 4 inches of snow bearable. Winter can't last forever :yahoo:
Joe,

You go to The Hitching Post in Fridley?? Did my ECU swap out there and they were very good.

WW

My neighborhood Yamaha dealer surprised me twice last week.First, they matched Ron Ayers' prices on some parts I needed.

Joe,

You go to The Hitching Post in Fridley?? Did my ECU swap out there and they were very good.

WW
That's the place. I wasn't a big fan of The Hitching Post, but after reading about your positive experience, I gave them another chance.

I can't go into detail, but I can say that they were incredibly helpful.

[SIZE=12pt]Edit: Hitching Post service department did not deliver on the recall items as promised. I was totally jerked around. [/SIZE]

Nearest Yamaha Dealer that ordered replacement shift actuator mounting(bracket?) also ordered new ECU unit that was on recall. They also mentioned that they ordered replacement luggage brackets that are on back order. I never heard/read of new luggage brackets courtesy of Yamaha. I will find out next wed when I trailer my stuck in 2nd gear FJR.

Rob

Joe,
Glad to hear they were good to you. Look me up sometime for a ride.

WW
Sounds good.

I can't tell you how many times we've followed the river to your neck of the woods, crossed, then followed it home again.
Sounds like a blast!! PM me the next time you think you'll be out an about!!

WW

I called the dealer I bought my 07 from yesterday and he said to stop by after I got off work today (Sat. the 22) so I got there around three it took them a hour, but I was fine with that as it is Sateurday. :)

Update:

I stopped at DuPage Honda / Yamaha yesterday on the way the Chicagoland group meeting, and spoke with their service manager. Complete opposite story from what one of their idiots had told me over the phone. The service manager said it was no problem at all, just call him with the VIN # (I forgot to take it with me) next week, and he would get the part ordered. Once it was in, he would call me and I could bring the bike in to have it swapped out. Basically, he told me what I think is the way it should be done. I guess it pay to #1 go their in person, and #2 don't waste your time talking to anyone other than the service manager.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Hopefully this saga has come to an end.

Earlier in this thread, I made positive comments about Hitching Post in Fridley, MN

I wrote too soon. I'll have to look elsewhere to have the recall items replaced. Hitching Post didn't deliver.