ECU Replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I had DuPage Honda Yamaha due my ECU, and not only were they great about getting the part once I actually went to the shop in person, but they installed it while I waited in about 25 minutes.

I would give them a 9 out 10, only because the first person I spoke with was a duffus.

I just called the dealer on the phone and told them about the recall, they set up the appointment and the part was ordered. This was done before I even stepped in the dealership. The replacement took about an hour.

Got the bike back and went for a ride before the pipes cooled down from the delivery to the shop.

Haven’t had a problem with the dealer ever.

After about 1500 miles I had the clutch worked on, all done by calling the dealer.

Mine was done a few months ago. I called them about the letter, they ordered the part, a week later they called in when they got it in, I scheduled a lunchtime appointment a couple of days later. left work during lunch, dealership is only a few miles away, they did the swap, took less than an hour, rode back to hell..err..work and finished the day. No hassle, no fuss.

Well, I had DuPage Honda Yamaha due my ECU, and not only were they great about getting the part once I actually went to the shop in person, but they installed it while I waited in about 25 minutes.
I would give them a 9 out 10, only because the first person I spoke with was a duffus.
Did I understand this whole thing only affects a select number of 2006's? I haven't followed all of the threads on this, but I thought that's what I got out of what I did read. When I searched awhile back, I saw the letter WC got ahold of from Yamaha that listed the VIN range. Am I on target here?

I stopped in at my local dealer the other day, because I wanted to get things set up to have my ECU changed out. I figured they could order any parts they need, and then I could take the bike in once the weather warms up. I was told that I had to bring the bike in before they could even order the parts. WTF? <_<
What has bee the process for those of you who have had your ECU replaced?

How has the replacment of your ecu helped or changed your mpg???

How has the replacment of your ecu helped or changed your mpg???
Changing out the ECU has nothing to do with mileage, and some are making a bigger deal of the swap than is really necessary. The problem with the pre-swap ECU was that it adjusted for altitude every time the throttle was moved 1/4 turn. If someone had a significant elevation change without moving the throttle the required 1/4 turn, the bike would show some type of adverse effect from the wrong air/fuel mixture. All the ECU swap does is lessen the turn requirement from 1/4 turn to something like 1/8 turn. Really, unless someone was riding up into the mountians with a throttle lock on, I find it hard to believe the throttle was not moved 1/4 turn and the computer was not readjusted. I only got mine changed becasue I LIVE in the mountians. I never had a problem and wonder if I ever would have. Your 2008 should have come with the new ECU, so the recall did not affect your bike.

Edit: LaLaw9, I donno why I thought your profile said you have an '08, but since it's an '07, I'll agree with Painman below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I understand this whole thing only affects a select number of 2006's? I haven't followed all of the threads on this, but I thought that's what I got out of what I did read. When I searched awhile back, I saw the letter WC got ahold of from Yamaha that listed the VIN range. Am I on target here?
FJRP just saw this and know its a late response but, the VIN's listed in the letter WC posted up were the bikes affected by the ECU problem from Yamaha. 2006 and 2007 models were affected only and from my weak memory more 07's were affected and more severly than the 06's but both had the problem. The correct thing to do is check to make sure your 2006 to 2007 bike was on the list and then the bike owner needs to contact their dealer or any dealer and schedule your bike for the swap. Your dealer or Yamaha will not call the owner on this. If they did consider yourself lucky. I got a letter from Yamaha on this as did many owner's but if you didn't get a letter doesn't mean your not affected. From my VIN my bike is one of the early production 2006 models and it's on the list.

Once you make the call they will schedule you to bring the bike in, (if they don't have the part on hand it will have to be ordered), and like TriggerT I too waited for the swap which took about half an hour. And they did want my old ECU.

I haven't been to altitude yet to see if the stall/surge has been eliminated but I do know my fuel mileage has not been affected. And from the many reports I'm confident the problem has been cured. Personally if my bike is on the list I would do the swap even if I didn't ride in the hills. It could possibly come into play if warrantee work was done or if you were to sell the bike. Take care and good luck, PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator: