Engine Heat and saddle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jill

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the forum and new to FJR's I have a 2009 that is 2 months old. Can someone please tell me how to cut the heat on my legs, it is so hot I have to wear shorts and not ride at all on hot days. I tried moving the fairing out to the outer holes as suggested by the dealer but this did nothing.

Problem #2 - can anyone recommend a comfortable lowered seat for the fjr?

Thanks in advance

Jill

Hi, I am new to the forum and new to FJR's I have a 2009 that is 2 months old. Can someone please tell me how to cut the heat on my legs, it is so hot I have to wear shorts and not ride at all on hot days. I tried moving the fairing out to the outer holes as suggested by the dealer but this did nothing.

Thanks in advance

Jill
Is is still HOT in New Hampshire :rolleyes: !

I never really had a heat problem with my 2006 and I live in Texas where we are over a 100 degrees daily this time of year.

Is there any chance you have the panels open and are getting hot air directed towards you (i.e. winter mode)?

As far as riding clothes, I would recommend finding a good dealer in your area and testing on various manufacturers of clothing. If you have a BMW dealer in your area, you might want to see if they carry Olympia Motosports, Rev-It, and BMW lines.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Best regards,

Shane

Heat is subjective... The FJR (Gen II's even) put out some heat but nothing like my old ZX11 did.

I'd suggest some good riding boots and pants. Shorts aren't going to help you much in a get off. With good boots covering your shins and decent pants you will only feel it when you're stopped at a light. As long as you're moving it's a non-issue.

As for shorter seats you don't have a lot of options.

Corbin's seat is 'lower' but wider, some say because it's wider they can't flat foot the bike. I think the Sargent seat in the lower position is lower than the stock seat but not by much.

You can lower the bike as a whole with different dog-bones.

Search, they aren't expensive.

-MD

Ride a 2004/2005 model around in this heat and then get back on yours. You'll feel cooler. I can't offer advice about the heat except for clothing to block the airflow on the legs.

As for seats several of the after market guys offer a slighter lower (maybe 1 inch) option for the FJR seat. Like MDisher states, suspension mads might me a more productive option.

All next weeks looks like nasty summer (HOT) weather in these parts. Good luck with finding the best solution for you. I just grin and bear it. Morning commute is OK, The ride home (rt 95) can be brutal.

Hi, I am new to the forum and new to FJR's I have a 2009 that is 2 months old. Can someone please tell me how to cut the heat on my legs, it is so hot I have to wear shorts and not ride at all on hot days. I tried moving the fairing out to the outer holes as suggested by the dealer but this did nothing.

Thanks in advance

Jill
There is some minor controversy on this but the fairing out is the position you want to make your winter riding a bit warmer. Close those up and it might help some. +1 on what others have said about wearing boots and pants.

You've got the seat in the low position, right? Have you tried scooting closer to the tank when you need to put your feet down?

Installing a PowerCommander will enable you to richen the fuel mixture, in my experience dropping the bike's normal running temp by one full bar, and that's in the stinking hot South Floriduh summer. With the PCIII the bike will run much nicer and smoother too...

Or you could do the Barbarian Mod, to play with the CO settings, but I can't attest as to a decrease in bike's running temp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks in advance

Jill
The one time I rode my FJR in shorts it felt hotter on my legs than when I wear my riding pants. I'm with the rest of the group-get yourself some proper riding pants. Heat tolerance is a subjective thing,but I'll guarantee it's much hotter here in Phoenix. ;)

Mike

Jill
The one time I rode my FJR in shorts it felt hotter on my legs than when I wear my riding pants. I'm with the rest of the group-get yourself some proper riding pants. Heat tolerance is a subjective thing,but I'll guarantee it's much hotter here in Phoenix. ;)

Mike

Problem 1 ,is the gear you are wearing ,its hotter in shorts or thin pants than leathers and youre nice sexy shorts wont stop gravel rash for more than a nanosecond.

The fairing panels should be out to direct heat away from the rider.

If its to hot then take the air-conditioned car :rolleyes:

As for the seat I cant comment 6-0ft plus so I don't have to know.

Holy k-molee: you ride in shorts to beat the heat?

Count me in among the "Wear Proper Riding Pants and Boots" crowd, especially for longer trips. I confess to just wearing jeans around town, but I stopped wearing shorts and tennees on the motorcycle in my teens, right about the time I burned the poo out of my leg on my Triumph's exhaust pipe. My "ATG" includes a pair of Cortec riding pants, now out of print, and Rider Wearhouse Combat Touring Boots, which cover the calf. I know the heat is there, but it doesn't bother.

Since my Feej is a Gen I, I can't speak to any heat mods needed on the Gen II, like yours. Frankly, I thought the major redeeming factor of the Gen II's was their highly touted heat management. WBill

Thanks in advance

Jill
Please, please get a proper pair of riding pants with knee/hip protection and wear them. I've found Olympia Airglide II pants (which I wear over shorts or dockers) to be a great help. I don't get overly hot on the legs even when it's above 90 here.

There are plenty of stories like these here and here that motivate me to wear protective gear on every ride. If it gets too hot to ride all geared-up, I take the car.

Riding in street clothes will feel much hotter than riding in dedicated riding pants. Real riding pants have armor at the knees and hips, long zippers on the legs to get on and off easily, and very often some heat shielding material on the inside of the pants legs. All this helps in perceived heat. As do a good pair of riding boots. No, not hiking boots or riding 'shoes', but boots. Ankle armor is important. Just ask any of the people on this forum with permanent disability due to ankle fractures. Check out TCX X-Five boots. One of many good products out there.

Yes, a good pair of pants will cost you around $200, and boots can easily cost more than that. It's worth it. You're worth it.

Several inseam challenged riders have lowered the FJR to fit them better. There are positive and negative issues with this, depending on your riding style. MEM is another member to PM. If you click on the "members" link at the top of the page you can search for specific members, then click on their profile to send them a Private Message.

A custom seat is your best route. There are several good seat builders, but I'm not aware of ones in your area. You might talk to a local upholstery shop to see if they are interested in helping you with what you need. Or the local bike shops to see if there is a local seat builder near you.

Good luck in solving your issues and welcome to the forum.

Little hint for everyone: THE SIDE PANELS DO NOT DIRECT THE ENGINE HEAT AT THE RIDER WHEN THEY ARE OUT!!!!!!!!!!

Having the panels in will allow more air to flow closer to the rider. Having the panels out will direct more air away from the rider, making the engine heat more noticeable.

Get some good riding pants and boots. They will protect you if you go down, and the engine heat will be less bothersome. I ride in full leathers or textiles and engine heat is not an issue. Good riding gear will also help you keep your skin if bad things happen.

Wow Guys and Gals, Thanks for all the replies. I am new to this forum and didn't think I would get many replies!

Now to my original questions....

I have full BMW riding gear, from head to toe. I used to have a BMW, and have never really worn the pants or boots, especially in the summer. I just find it too hot, the riding clothes stick to me. I have tried both options on the fairing, in and out, and do not notice any difference whatsoever on the heat.

As far as the seat goes, i just find it uncomfortable on my butt on long rides. Maybe I will find a custom person around to help with that.

thanks for all your help!

Jill

...I have full BMW riding gear, from head to toe. I used to have a BMW, and have never really worn the pants or boots, especially in the summer. I just find it too hot, the riding clothes stick to me...
Jill,

You should try the www.ldcomfort.com undergarments, these will stop your gear from sticking, and help you keep cooler too.

Thanks in advance

Jill
Please, please get a proper pair of riding pants with knee/hip protection and wear them. I've found Olympia Airglide II pants (which I wear over shorts or dockers) to be a great help. I don't get overly hot on the legs even when it's above 90 here.

There are plenty of stories like these here and here that motivate me to wear protective gear on every ride. If it gets too hot to ride all geared-up, I take the car.
Ok, way way off topic, but it looks like Hailey Rice (road rash girl linked above) just died in an Auto accident: https://obits.syracuse.com/obituaries/syrac...p;pid=130959810

Can anyone confirm?

I have full BMW riding gear, from head to toe. I used to have a BMW, and have never really worn the pants or boots, especially in the summer. I just find it too hot, the riding clothes stick to me.
BMW offers a wide selection of riding apparel. Some of it is quite good stuff. Some of it is worthless crap suited only for bar to bar riders and poseurs. Not knowing what specific gear you have, it's difficult to offer constructive suggestions beyond some basic observations.

Stop riding your motorcycle. Yes, stop. You don't display an appropriate understanding of the risks involved. This likely sounds quite harsh. It won't when you're in a hospital bed looking at skin grafts and permanent disability to your body. Hindsight is 20/20, but it won't help then.

Now, if you're going to promptly ignore the above sound advice, go find gear that is more comfortable for you, AND WEAR IT. No gear will be 100% comfortable 100% of the time. We all get a little warm sitting in the sun, not moving, when wearing full gear. It's a small price to pay for the benefits when things go wrong. Do not whine about being hot if you wear jeans. Fools wear street clothes on a motorcycle. Cotton absorbs moisture, (pay attention, this means underwear too), and adds to your discomfort. Wearing wicking synthetic underwear and textile riding pants that fit, which means the legs aren't skin tight, allows moisture to wick away from your skin.

Take a look at Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants. They are water resistant with a water proof zip in liner and have a venting panel that unzips all the way around from just about the knee, around the waist to the other knee. They are very water resistant in that over the last 50k miles or so I've only zipped in the liner a few times when I knew I was going to be riding in rain all day.

Motoport Kevlar gear is another offering. Better quality than the JR stuff, but more expensive too. Also with a zip in liner for total waterproof-ness, which may or may not be an issue with you.

There are a slew of other excellent products out there from Aerostich to Olympia and beyond. Take the time to find what meets your needs and you will be more comfortable and far better protected than by the gear you're not wearing now.

Leather - Yeah, it looks cool, but it's for racing. The very first thing racers do when they come off the track is peal off their leathers because they are HOT. Perforated leathers are a poor compromise, IMHO. I know some folks love them. If you have room in the closet for multiple jackets and pants, go for it. Otherwise leave it for the racer boys/girls.

If you remove the plastic seat height adjuster completely, the stock seat will sit as low as a seat can. Lower than the Corbin. You could also buy some cruiser boots with 2" heels.