Enlarging my fuel tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll just bet his balls fell off.. That's what happens when you mess with shit.

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
In reality this type of project must take time to plan and adjust the plan, especially when you are showing everyone how it is going...kind of puts the pressure on to do a super job. Maybe he has stepped back and said....'Na ! And is back to the drawing board.

Certainly did generate a lot of interest though. Who called it a clusterfu#k?

Who called it a clusterfu#k?
That would be me, but I meant it only in regards to the "noise" portion of the signal-to-noise ratio of the thread. My comment wasn't in any way meant to impinge or impugn on the original topic or its originator.

Besides.....look at my avatar.

'nuff said???

:D

How high can he go before steering becomes an issue? With the wheel at max left or right, you can see how little room you would have to raise the tank.

Maybe he was going to use one hand or the other?

Sorry for the lack of updates. I was out of commission for 1/2 a week due to the H1N1 flu. I was getting stir crazy sitting at home so much.spent 30 minutes or better trying to proplerly blend in this top section to the lower area.The first cuts were to widen the area where the front will join. To do this I just cut back a 1/4" on each side. Next was to drawn new lines that flowed across the uneven bends of the tank. 10 measurements and 2 templates later, I had my new cut lines.

P1000568.jpg

I welded up the rear of the tank and kept the factory curve.

P1000569.jpg
From what i can see that's going to be a bitch to get blended. I would have thought to follow the top lines all the way back. (JMO) It can be done just a lot more finessing. Give the guy some time and we will probably see it all painted up next time he post. Then again he did have H1N1????? Hope all is well!!!!

I took a few days and took care of necessary projects around the house. Paint, landscaping before winter, even cleaned out the garage! I also started making some brackets for the kick ass HID's from another thread. Anyhow, I'll be back on this ASAP. I need to teach one of my 4 children metal fabrication :)

To answer a few questions, the steering works perfectly and has about 5/8-3/4" between the grip and tank at full lock. I could raise it another inch or 2 but I want to be able to see the GPS WITH my Yamaha tank bag mounted.

I did manage to weld in some spacers all the way around the top to keep it perfectly gapped for finish welding. That was a royal PITA!

I took a few days and took care of necessary projects around the house. Paint, landscaping before winter, even cleaned out the garage! I also started making some brackets for the kick ass HID's from another thread. Anyhow, I'll be back on this ASAP. I need to teach one of my 4 children metal fabrication :)
To answer a few questions, the steering works perfectly and has about 5/8-3/4" between the grip and tank at full lock. I could raise it another inch or 2 but I want to be able to see the GPS WITH my Yamaha tank bag mounted.

I did manage to weld in some spacers all the way around the top to keep it perfectly gapped for finish welding. That was a royal PITA!
Hey, take care of the important stuff....

We'll be here when ya git back.... :)

Threads like this are why I LOVE this forum and the people on it. This is an ASWESOME topic/project, well worth the wait and the best entertainment around to fill in the wait time. Keep it up guys... I've almost pee'd my pants! :yahoo:

Threads like this are why I LOVE this forum and the people on it. This is an ASWESOME topic/project, well worth the wait and the best entertainment around to fill in the wait time. Keep it up guys... I've almost pee'd my pants! :yahoo:
Sooooooo... just what will it take to kick you over the edge, Duff? :unsure:

Don

Anyone have a good suggestion for the inside of the tank. I'm leaning towards this product.
www.kbs-coatings.com

lctsk-300.jpg
I operate a small shop and have used kbs tank sealer many many times the biggest problem i have with it is it takes like a week to do the right way and it is difficult to sell customers on the fack that they are going to be bikeless for a week. other than that i have used it on four different tanks and the results are always the same good consistent coating that doesnt flake or chip easily i love the stuff ....................

The KBS coating products will be arriving tomorrow so I better get a move on. Tonight I welded in the left areas of the tank shown:

P1020144.JPG

Lots of work left to complete! This is taking much longer than initially estimated. Then again I'm moving around more metal than planned. I'm ready to see just how much more capacity I'll soon have.

words of advise from a guy who has been there before.

make sure tank still fits

get it in primer and make sure all your major grinding is correct as grinding makes extra heat no good for epoxies

read all directions 2 times

read directions again

follow directions to the letter..................

be patient the end result is soooo worth the extra time.

really nice job on the tank your shop teacher would be proud