EOM 2013 - Maggie Valley, NC 20-22 September 2013

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just you.
punk.gif

Anyone want to go ride the Snake at night??
At Night?! Uhhhhhh that's just crazy extreme. Or is it just me? Insert "No Thank You" Smliely (Here) :)

For the record, you do not get good traction on squirrels or dead snakes. That was on NC28 just north of Franklin.

For me, riding at night was a therapy I used to get myself back to a point of being able to focus solely on the road and surroundings ahead after my "bad day" in '08. It took away the distraction of always looking off the side of the road and that naggy "what if" gremlin who kept whispering in my ear. Weird as it may sound, it worked.

Then I got addicted to it; it's not for everyone...

I've definitely been talked into worse in the past. lol! I still wouldn't do it. I've rode twisties in the dark. It wasn't on purpose, though. I would actually consider that being purposely reckless.

To each his own, I guess. I'll just shake my head as I see ya'll leave the parking lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
To each his own, I guess. I'll just shake my head as I see ya'll leave the parking lot.
I'll be right there with ya, Heidi.

Oh - and I'll be making fun on Fencer over ... something, I'm sure. Or maybe giving Mike a rash of shit for actually watching "Honey Boo Boo."

Like Heidi, I don't like to ride the twisties in the dark and only do it when I have no choice. When it does happen I do it very slowly.

I get Wayne's point about riding at night forcing you to focus on the road ahead and removing the distractions that frequently bother me and slow me down, like drop offs on the side, Still, I think the hazards outweigh the benefits for me. I'll stay and have a beer with Heidi in the parking lot.

Like Heidi, I don't like to ride the twisties in the dark and only do it when I have no choice. When it does happen I do it very slowly.
I get Wayne's point about riding at night forcing you to focus on the road ahead and removing the distractions that frequently bother me and slow me down, like drop offs on the side, Still, I think the hazards outweigh the benefits for me. I'll stay and have a beer with Heidi in the parking lot.
I'll be in the parking lot with you guys waving good by! :)

For the record, you do not get good traction on squirrels or dead snakes. That was on NC28 just north of Franklin.
For me, riding at night was a therapy I used to get myself back to a point of being able to focus solely on the road and surroundings ahead after my "bad day" in '08. It took away the distraction of always looking off the side of the road and that naggy "what if" gremlin who kept whispering in my ear. Weird as it may sound, it worked.

Then I got addicted to it; it's not for everyone...
Last time I tried it there was a deer hanging his head over the guard rail thinkin jump or dont jump. Luckily he stayed put till I was passed but it sure tightened up the "ol rectum.

I vote for beer too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't done the snake at night, but last September, 4 of us got a little lost, as in stopped thinking about where we were going and just enjoyed the roads. Took one of the roads up to the Blue Ridge and did about the bottom 40 miles after dark. Not a car to be seen, road one in the left lane, one in the right with the bright lights on. A little nuts, but not an animal in site and a ride I'll never forget. Back up over the Great Smokeys to Gatlinburg around midnight.

Hey Joe. Remember that fun ride down 219 in the dark? That is probably the most hairy of night twisties I have experienced. That one huge ass deer just off the road is still burned in my brain!