EOM preview pics

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spklbuk

Reaction score
A few pictures from various rides around Lewisburg area:

Greenbrier River spring flood

Dsc00526.jpg

Falling Spring near Hot Springs, Va

Dsc00517.jpg

Civil War buffs will be in heaven

Dsc00468.jpg

Or perhaps you prefer to explore an earlier war

Dsc00467.jpg

Spklbuk's new shack!! or maybe its the Homestead Resort

Dsc00459.jpg

MooMaw Lake

Dsc00451.jpg

Pics continued.

historic Humpback Bridge

Dsc00436.jpg

deep in the New River Gorge

Dsc00349.jpg

WV Highland Scenic Highway

Dsc00282.jpg

New River Gorge (the real Grand Canyon of the East)

Dsc00268.jpg

Gauley Mtn. in Webster Co., WV

Dsc00321.jpg

These last two have absolutely nothing to do with riding, they just happen to be of my best friend

Dsc00490.jpg

Too sexy for my couch, too.....

Dsc00290.jpg

Ooohhhh, I've got a few of peculiarly similar photos minus the x-rated pic of Shadow :) . Exactly where is that waterfall? I thought I'd been all over the area you're talking about & have never seen it. Lake Moomaw... should probably put 39 & the trip to Moomaw on one of the routes. The road back to the lake is very cool! And 39??? some good stuff there! Maybe a trip thru Goshen Pass for those that would like to go?

Nice pics Jim. Cannot wait to come and see you, Creta & the pup called Shadow & make some new riding memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics Jim. Here's a couple from our "frostbite" ride last October.

The parking lot at the NRG bridge

bikepics-703142-full.jpg

And the bridge across the river at the bottom of the gorge

bikepics-703145-full.jpg

Its supposed to be in the mid-50s today and I'm going for a ride :yahoo:

Sumanbeoutch! I'm stuck at work today. I wanna' ride too!

And a couple of my pics from the "frosty personals" ride...

This is mua & host, Jim (spklbuk):

021.jpg

And this is the whole frosty bits crew at the NRG visitor center:

054.jpg
From left to right: Jim (spklbuk), Gary (FJRGary), Heidi (luvtoride), Cheryl (Ms. ONEMOREBIKE) & last but not least, Glen (ONEMOREBIKE)

Stop it! I have to wait till September and I am ancy enough as is :)

I can't wait to get out and ride with everyone.

WOW!

Great pics, great looking group of folks and bikes. I hope we can get to see some of these sights on our day rides. But now that I have a clue as to the names maybe I can find them on the web and go see some Thursday as we are getting in a day early.

By the way, does anyone know this area north of Lewisburg:

I planned on coming down I81 From CT, getting off at Winchester (RT 50) and spending the night. Then west to Burlington, CR11 south to Patterson Creek, to South 42, to south 28 to west 39 to south 219 to Lewisburg. I was trying to find roads through the mountains.

Or should I just go West 50 to 219 south?

Looking for a scenic route and in no hurry.

Thanks

bob

...getting off at Winchester (RT 50) and spending the night...
<OFFTOPIC Bob, I would try to get to rt 250 or rt 33 to cross into WV. I am sure others will chime in with better suggestions, but those are two good roads. You might consider winding back and forth on your way south using these two roads. I'd also use MS S&T or a Gazetteer to find the curvy roads. BACK ON TOPIC>

+1 on E1allen's post!

I planned on coming down I81 From CT, getting off at Winchester (RT 50) and spending the night. Then west to Burlington, CR11 south to Patterson Creek, to South 42, to south 28 to west 39 to south 219 to Lewisburg. I was trying to find roads through the mountains.
Can't speak to CR11, but the rest of this ride is a good one, much better than 220S you mentioned in another thread. 50 is a good ride (esp to the farther west), so is 219, so I'd say its a toss up. I'd probably choose 28, but if you do decide 219 and are so inclined, zig west on 15 (bitchin' scenic & twisty) at Valley Head to Webster Springs, 20 south to Charmco and 60 east to L'burg.

OR if you end up south of Marlinton on 219, consider WV 55 (WV Scenic Hway) west off 219 to 39 and then either turn east (back to 219) or west (Rt 20 to Charmco). Just follow your nose, you really can't not find a good ride in WV's eastern mtns.

Edit: that would be WV 150 (Highland Scenic Highway - a mini BRP), sorry for the mixup

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop it! I have to wait till September and I am ancy enough as is
More torture to come bro, as scouting gets underway. Hell the road is paved from there to here before Sept, come on up and we'll find you a place to bed down and you surely will not exhaust new places to ride.

From left to right: Jim (spklbuk), Gary (FJRGary), Heidi (luvtoride), Cheryl (Ms. ONEMOREBIKE) & last but not least, Glen (ONEMOREBIKE)
You and Cheryl sure hang out w/ a fugly lot.

Its supposed to be in the mid-50s today and I'm going for a ride
Good on ya, hope it was full o fun. I managed to ride FJR yesterday and Honda Shadow today Hondooee handles the wind better, no contest.

Wow, thanks for those. I was on the fence but the pics just made me fall off.
Come on down, but be forewarned, it'll only make ya want some more! The pics in no way do the scenery justice and the roads..............well you'll see for yourself.

Exactly where is that waterfall? I thought I'd been all over the area you're talking about & have never seen it. Lake Moomaw... should probably put 39 & the trip to Moomaw on one of the routes. The road back to the lake is very cool! And 39??? some good stuff there! Maybe a trip thru Goshen Pass for those that would like to go?
Nice pics Jim. Cannot wait to come and see you, Creta & the pup called Shadow & make some new riding memories.
You wouldn't believe me if I told you how many times you've ridden right by that waterfall! You are fully aware of my standard refrain...Guess you'll just have to come and see for yourself. 39, MooMaw and Goshen definitely on the ride list. Rode the Honda up high today to check on the snow, riding season is hereby officially declared open around these parts (though its freakin' snowing AGAIN as I type. First good weather weekend, we got an appointment.
Heidi and Gary, thanks for the additional pics. Post em if ya got um.

Yep, I love that view early in the morning in the fall when the fog rolls over East River like water over a gigantic waterfall - booful beyond words. East River will definitely be on one of the suggested routes.

Bob, you would like the ride from Winchester, West on Rt.50 to Burlington. Right now there

is road work about 2 miles West of Romney. I'll give a road report of the area in Sept.

CR11 South is called Patterson Creek Rd., this is a nice 2 lane back road and will tie into Rt.42 South.

Rt.42 leads into Petersburg here if you take Rt.28 South for about 4-5 miles you can ride Smoke Hole Rd.

Other people on the board will go along with me and say that this is our little Dragan tail in WVa.

After Smoke Hole Rd. you can follow 220 South to Franklin and take 33 West over the mountain to

28 South or if time permits follow 33W to Elkins and then South on 219 to 150 (Highland Scenic Hy.)

Then 55E back to 219S and into Lewisburg.

The wife and I have covered most of these roads in the last week and only found small amounts of

gravel or dirt in some turns. About like most roads after a hard rain.

Hope this helps, and as EOM gets closer I will try to help any and all traveling from the North to Lewisburg.

Chuck

WOW!
Great pics, great looking group of folks and bikes. I hope we can get to see some of these sights on our day rides. But now that I have a clue as to the names maybe I can find them on the web and go see some Thursday as we are getting in a day early.

By the way, does anyone know this area north of Lewisburg:

Looking for a scenic route and in no hurry.

Thanks

bob

Man! Can't wait until September. Absolutely awesome looking area. Can't hear enough good stuff about riding down there.

:dribble: :dribble: