Epic F**K up, Now what?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have yet to meet anyone on this board conceivably smart enough to implement something that intricate and well thought out. :lol:
Hmmmmm...I don't know -- SkooterG got the Forum together to buy some idiotic grumpy old **** a new motor for his busted-ass '04!
Fixed.
MY BUDDY!!
Steve-O, it is the least I can do! Have to run to the store, getting a gift for my illegitimate Bastard Son SkooterG for breaking 100K on his second FJR. I have to move quickly too, before he wads that one up also!
BWHAHAHA!!

Holy crap... Tragedy, drama and anguish, perseverance in the face of adversity, heroic rescue... and booze. Great thread.

Congratulations on avoiding a HUGE repair bill!
I laughed... I cried...

Well, mostly I laughed! :p

BTW - Whose freekin' brilliant idea was it to open up the clutch cover to change a CCT? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap... Tragedy, drama and anguish, perseverance in the face of adversity, heroic rescue... and booze. Great thread.

I laughed... I cried...

BTW - Whose freekin' brilliant idea was it to open up the clutch cover to change a CCT? :rolleyes:
I was wondering the same thing but assumed there was more work being done. I haven't removed it on the ones I have done but maybe it makes it easier.

Isn't it time to start judging? I mean the guy got out of a monster dealer bill for cryin out loud.

There must be some pain involved...

I took off the clutch cover when I did mine, and never imagined such issues. Then again, I didn't think to put it on the sidestand. :lol:

I laughed... I cried...

I was wondering the same thing but assumed there was more work being done. I haven't removed it on the ones I have done but maybe it makes it easier.
It makes it a LOT easier if you don't want to sacrifice a wrench. You get enough room to turn the bolt with the cover out of the way. It ain't that hard to remove, or to reinstall. Gasket can be reused most of the time, unless it sticks or tears. (Not supposed to, I know, but I've opened mine twice, put back together same gasket, and all the oil is still inside.)

I must be a freak. I had no real trouble doing mine with just a 12 point 8mm combination wrench (flipping it back and forth). Didn't even consider pulling the clutch cover off.

You know, now that I think about this, it's all a bit of a genius plan.

He wants new electronic gizmos, including the boroscope. How to get that one past the wife?

Hrm, start maintenance, leave hole open. Need proof that something went down that hole, but it needs to be a hole she can't see down into.

Cut tool in half, come up with some cockamamie story about how you are making a custom tool rather than go buy one (They are expensive, you are saving money)

Hide half of the tool, then start freaking out that the hidden half is down in the engine.

Start talking shop costs of what it's going to cost the local shop to disassemble the engine to get this part out that is lost somewhere in a sensitive, expensive and scary location (Transmission)

Start thread on website so she can see you are doing research and asking knowledgeable folks out about this.

Recruit a friend to come over and "Help" you with the issue.

Run to store to buy the tools you originally wanted.

Friend uses tools to help you retrieve your "Missing tool."

Celebrations, beer, hugs, happiness.

Offer friend tool for gratitude but he rejects this as planned.

Wife is happy it only cost the cost of new tools and not a complete transmission tear down at the local shop, her honey saved money.

Enjoy the use of new tools you couldn't have bought otherwise.

*There's no telling what he's been exploring with that little camera since then!*

This is a fabulous post. Do we give out awards periodically for posting craftsmanship? Well, we should. This is a gem.

You know, now that I think about this, it's all a bit of a genius plan.

He wants new electronic gizmos, including the boroscope. How to get that one past the wife?

Hrm, start maintenance, leave hole open. Need proof that something went down that hole, but it needs to be a hole she can't see down into.

Cut tool in half, come up with some cockamamie story about how you are making a custom tool rather than go buy one (They are expensive, you are saving money)

Hide half of the tool, then start freaking out that the hidden half is down in the engine.

Start talking shop costs of what it's going to cost the local shop to disassemble the engine to get this part out that is lost somewhere in a sensitive, expensive and scary location (Transmission)

Start thread on website so she can see you are doing research and asking knowledgeable folks out about this.

Recruit a friend to come over and "Help" you with the issue.

Run to store to buy the tools you originally wanted.

Friend uses tools to help you retrieve your "Missing tool."

Celebrations, beer, hugs, happiness.

Offer friend tool for gratitude but he rejects this as planned.

Wife is happy it only cost the cost of new tools and not a complete transmission tear down at the local shop, her honey saved money.

Enjoy the use of new tools you couldn't have bought otherwise.

*There's no telling what he's been exploring with that little camera since then!*

Shhhhh.....you're going to blow my cover :devilsmiley:

Are you 100% sure it wend in? Remove everything in a 6ft radius around your bike from the room and search the floor, every little crack in the floor etc etc. I have once disassembled half an engine for a washer that was actually right under the centerstand :(

And good luck!

Are you 100% sure it wend in? Remove everything in a 6ft radius around your bike from the room and search the floor, every little crack in the floor etc etc. I have once disassembled half an engine for a washer that was actually right under the centerstand :(

And good luck!
Your hearts in the right place, but you gotta pay attention.

And good luck!
Be gentle 'Zilla, he's Dutch! You wouldn't pick on someone from Owosso, fecking Michigan, would you?

And good luck!
Be gentle 'Zilla, he's Dutch! You wouldn't pick on someone from Owosso, fecking Michigan, would you?

Easy there ya burro rapist.. I'm from the massive suburb of Dutchtown.

Owosso is a mile away :p

Maybe next time he will get some duct tape and tape the opennings so nothing will enter and teather the wrench with a wire tie or string. glad that did not cost you a bundle..

Armed with the knowledge I gained last year, a new Craftsman 8mm ratcheting wrench, and the how-to threads on this site, I re-attacked my CCT today.

I'm certain everyone will be relieved to know it went smoothly. My old 70,000 mile CCT is now a paperweight, and I did not add any tools to my crankcase!!

Definitely much less racket from the right side of the motor, too.