*** ESG130 Stator - SALVATION!!!!! ***

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shiggity Schweet. That was a very useful thread, and while it was painful for you at the time WC, I'm glad it happened. The forum is now smarter for it. IonBeam also had some great pictoral discussion in there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes, the first law of electricity: "You can't see elactrons, you can't trust them!!" At least you didn't let the factory smoke out.

Thanks for the good work, this farkle is on my long term list.

jim

So...were the guys at Electrosport ecstatic at the findings...????

Maybe a final comment on the other thread about the problem to close it out so that someone searching in the future ends up with the correct answer if they happen across that thread?

So...were the guys at Electrosport ecstatic at the findings...????
They were!

Maybe a final comment on the other thread about the problem to close it out so that someone searching in the future ends up with the correct answer if they happen across that thread?
This is a good idea... done!

I have to say I'm happy to here it also. Like scooterG and others, have mine sitting in box waiting to be installed with my lights. Would have hated to hear it wasn't going to work after spending the money. (of course that would have been my problem with not letting enough time for testing)

Thanks for all the testing Warchild

devanator

This is really great news for now (pending future long term eval)will have to wait until after EOM for install but glad I have one new in the box at home to go in before this winter

:clapping:

once again thanks for being the test subject WC

Toophast
Nonsense! Bring it along, we'll shove that sucker in AT eom!~! :D :D

Just don't ask how we're gonna do it without draining out the oil... :ph34r: :blink: :lol: :huh:

I contacted University Motors for a plug. There isn't any available without a Yamaha stator on the other end of the cable.

Unless ElectroSport can find an alternative source, we'll just have to make do with the female connectors they supplied. I'll just make damned sure they fit tight because I don't want to cannabalize my OEM stator.

dobias :glare:

There isn't any available...we'll just have to make do with the female connectors they supplied....I don't want to cannabalize my OEM stator.
The high current connections between the stator and R/R is pretty critical. You may want to reconsider. When I did my Electrosport install I hadn't planned to pillage the connector off the stock stator but changed my mind. Now, if I decide to go back to my stock stator all I have to do is crimp spade connectors onto the stock stator wires and it will be as good as new. When I cut the stock stator plug off I left about 4-5 inches of wire on the plug. I had to pull back the black rubber sleeve from the stock stator harness to get that much wire. This is copied from the original thread that WC just closed:

===========================

After doing all that work I looked at the nice weather pack connector and decided to use it. Snip, snip, snip. Using a good quality crimper and quality spade terminals I crimped on the spades to mate with the Electrosport stator connectors. I slipped ~4" lengths of ¼ inch dia shrink sleeve over the connectors. After pulling the Electrosport wires through the frame I plugged the ES wires into the weather pack connector, pulled the shrink sleeve up and shrunk it. The tubing is tight over the wires and will be very water resistant.

===========================

The only thing I would add it that the shrink sleeve not only made the connections nearly water proof it also locks the connectors together so they can't come apart.

Unless ElectroSport can find an alternative source, we'll just have to make do with the female connectors they supplied. I'll just make damned sure they fit tight because I don't want to cannabalize my OEM stator.
Neither do I. Yet, it is Ritzo's recommendation that we do cannibilize the connector... I just can't bring myself to do it. Further, one should solder the 3 wire ends together anyway (thus possibly introducing three more potential points of failure),should the solder job not be perfect or otherwise break down from vibration over time).

As long as the Datel remains rock-steady, I am going to stay with the ElectroSport-supplied connectors. Now that all three R/R connectors are confirmed to have good, clean, tight connections, and I have adequately weatherproofed the connection points, it shouldn't be a problem. If something does start to go amiss, the Datel should reveal it (as it correctly did during this recent "episode" I had...)

I posted 3:20, WC posted 3:21. We all make our own decisions. Take a look at post #30. You can move the weatherpack connector to the Electrosport stator and back again without loosing reliability. There is essentially no difference between the Electrosport connector slipping over the male R/R spade or one crimped on as long as you do a reasonable job of crimping. The shrink tube makes the connection mechanically stable and weather resistant.

Can you remove the stock terminals from the connector plug?

If you use a small pick they should come out of connector. No damage to anything.

Then all you need is same terminals to attach to new stator wires. Terminals should be easy to buy.

Insert new terminals into old connector and have OEM type connection. Just plug it in.

I've following this in case I ever need more output and I'm glad you found the problem. I for one also thank you for all your farkle testing on the FJR. You are the BEST Warchild. Keep up the good work! :yahoo:

Tom

Insert new terminals into old connector and have OEM type connection. Just plug it in.
The The weatherpack type connectors have the wires put through the rubber seal on the back side, the terminal gets crimped on and then pulled in from the front side and click in place. You would have to cut the OEM stator wires to get the connector off because the holes on the back side of the connector aren't big enough to put the spade through. I have a very strong mental image of what I'm talking about -- can you see it? :blink:
Edited to add:

In the picture below there is a rubber ferrule inside the body of the connector that is just the diameter of the wire that has to pass through. This type of connector has to have the wire passed through then the pin crimped on.

37024.gif

Yep, I gotta git me one of these then.

Cdogman,

You're in luck - you don't have to get one !

Having the smarts to buy an 06 means that you automatically received an upgraded (from 05 and previous) stator - which gives you about an additional 100 watts right out of the box.

And you got the really cool Colbalt Blue - the fastest color of all time ...... B)

WC - Wasn't there an issue with the Electro Sport Stator scraping metal on initial startup?

Do you feel that this is minor, and we should just ignore it? Perhaps we should dremel some of the excess fins off of the inside stator before installation?

Thanks,

Bruce

Well, to be brutally honest about it... and I admit the following is speculation, but....

It's my unconfirmed speculation that y'all that experienced this "squealing" upon initial startup must have - some how, some way - fucked up the install process.

Mind you, this is not a slam against anyone, because it *is* easy to dick away the install, even if you're pretty careful about it. If the wire-harness retaining bracket is not seated perfectly flat where it is supposed to reside, then there is every chance it will score the magnetic rotor and squeal like a banshee until the offending rotor material is etched away. :eek:

Nasty business, that.... particularly when you think about where all those shavings go off to... :blink:

To answer your question, Bruce, no, I don't think there is a problem with the component itself.

And DON'T be dremeling on the new stator, please!!! :blink: :blink: