EVACUATION ORDERED: Lower levels around South Central Butte County (Oroville/Marysville)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the things that have been brought out lately is a report that was filed by environmentalists in 2005 that predicted that exactly what happened--would. At the time, and ever since, at least until this week, this problem was ignored or blown off by both state and federal authorities who were in a position to address it. That's the problem with so much of the infrastructure everywhere; it's easier to kick the can down the road to future taxpayers than it is to spend the money now, whether it's the dams, the roads, the bridges, or the hundred year-old sewage systems--anything that's not really sexy enough to get the public enthused about paying for it immediately.

Of course, when something happens, then there's time and money to fix the problem. But for this dam, and this problem, the issue of water overflowing the emergency spillway onto bare dirt was identified, and a reasonable solution was proposed. Just like homeowners put things like this under the downspouts of their rain gutters so the water doesn't dig a big hole:

6u4Bv.jpg

Like the saying goes, there's never enough time to do it right the first time, but there's always time to go back and fix it.

The repairs are moving along nicely and we actually have 3+ dry days ahead after heavy rain yesterday.

I have ridden on what's left of the road to the parking lot at the top of the video a few times, sure is going to look different the next time we go there. Won't be surprised if it will be a year before all repair are made. It it isn't floods it's landslides along roads both in the coastal mountains plus the Sierra Nevada's. California is a bit of a mess right now.

The repairs are moving along nicely and we actually have 3+ dry days ahead after heavy rain yesterday.
I have ridden on what's left of the road to the parking lot at the top of the video a few times, sure is going to look different the next time we go there. Won't be surprised if it will be a year before all repair are made. It it isn't floods it's landslides along roads both in the coastal mountains plus the Sierra Nevada's. California is a bit of a mess right now.
How about the area around YFO?

Good point. Maybe all this rain will melt that 180% snow pack off of hwy 120!

Last edited by a moderator:
Except when it rains here in Winter, it snows on Tioga. I wonder if the snowpack is well beyond 200% now?

Both Hwy 41 from Fish Camp to Yosemite and Hwy 120 from Big Oak Flats to Yosemite are closed due to storm related damage, but both will be open again well before YFO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry Joe, YFO is a long ways off and we have plenty of good roads for you to pick from. It may be snow that hinders access to a few roads but most will be open if we don't wash into the ocean before then ;)

Getting washed into the ocean is a distinct possibility. Maybe I will be residing in a beach-front county very soon. Great for the property value, once all the debris and junk is cleared off, of course.
rolleyes.gif

Here are some before-after pictures (not my photographs):

Yuba River before-after the storms.

Yuba.jpg

The Bridge on Hwy 49 over the Yuba River. Before-After.

Yuba%20Hwy%2049.jpg

Redwood Creek in Muir Woods. Before-After.

Muir%20Woods%20Redwood%20creek.jpg

Pohono Bridge over the Merced in Yosemite Valley.

Merced-Yosemite.jpg

Upper Pines Campground in Yosemite. I have camped nearby at the Noth Pines campground many a time. Not in these conditions..
no.gif

UpperPines.jpg

I don't know if this photo album on FB is available to the general public, but this winter is taking a huge toll on many of the back roads in the Santa Cruz mountains (and many other locations)... I've ridden many of these roads and am sad to see them in such a damaged state... it's going to be some time before we get them back in on piece... some maybe never... :(

Link here if you can access it.

Don't worry Joe, YFO is a long ways off and we have plenty of good roads for you to pick from. It may be snow that hinders access to a few roads but most will be open if we don't wash into the ocean before then
wink.png
And yeah, there is a plethora of roads in this state... I'm sure we'll be able to keep you busy. B)

Oh but holy Hell, Tyler. That's depressing. Really something to see those all together like that, though many of them have been in the news, but mostly one by one. It was good that the poster put the names of the roads with the pics too. I see the road up to Mt. Hamilton, the one Big Dog Raven recently posted a video of, is one of the casualties. Highway 50, one of the two main roads from here to Lake Tahoe (and the best for a motorcycle) looks pretty much like some of those shots up near Fresh Pond. Video here.

Caltrans is pretty fast with repairs, though, and there will still be lots to pick from come June. Still, mmm. What a mess right now.

Tyler, I shared that photo album on my own timeline. Amazing damage and this is a tiny fraction of what has happened in rural California. I hope the rainy day fund is up to it.

It's that time of year when we should all be betting on when the passes will open. Care to guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.