Exhaust GB - epilogue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30d411fdc0e6daf092a74354094359bb.jpg
I can get it wholesale.........

(snip)Can you order the core and do this at home or has does the can have to be shipped to Muzzy ?

Thx for the info SB !
I don't have the Muzzy system (yet), but their web site says that you can replace the core by drilling out the rivets that hold the end on the can, then change the core and pop in new rivets when you're done.

Can anybody tell me if the stock muffler will work with the Muzzy system? I'm think that it might be nice to slip the nice quiet stock muffler on temporarily for those occasions when I want to be more stealthy.

(snip)Whatcha think about running the 4-1 without adding a PC? Will the FI compensate enough or will it run too lean?

dougc
That's what I plan to do. I expect that it will not yield the maximum performance that is possible from the Muzzy but should work just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pulled the trigger pretty early on both the Muzzy 4-2-1 Ti and the PCIII. Now all I need to do is find the map for that combo. Anyone got any leads?
I have the map for the Muzzy full system for '06. Send me a PM w/ your e-mail and I will forward it.

If you really wanted it, you could buy the quite core directly from Muzzy and have it installed.
It's fairly simple to do.
Thank you for that tidbit! I'll be checking on that with Muzzy, and Partmonster has agreed to keep my early GB order on hold for a few days until I have a chance to confirm availability from Muzzy (work is taking too much of my time right now). If anyone already has the specifics, please post it up, or I will when I find out. BTW -- Partmonster also asked me to let them know what I find out.

This may yet be an expensive farkling season.

I've participated in group buys for years; long before the FJR ever hit the US shores (or was even a product). I have never seen the level of complaining as I have in the FJR community. It's no wonder Dale quit posting about ANY gb's over on the UK forum. I hope he doesn't consider stopping them completely for this forum too. It's a hassle to set up a GB in the first place. It's demoralizing to be working on it and have people piss and moan when they have no real intention of participating anyway.
If you don't want to participate, don't.

If you want something different, get off your ass and start a GB that's to your liking and see if anyone else is interested.

There's never a need to rain a shit storm down on a GB. NEVER!
+10

Here's the skinny on the Quiet Cores from Dave in the general sales/tech department at Muzzy (1-541-385-0706):

Muzzy sells the Quiet Core for $58.95. It is a funnel-like piece that fits inside the steel inner core of their unrestricted muffler. It must be tack welded in place, however. Therefore, from what I have gleaned, one need only remove the "polished button-head allen screws" that hold the end caps on, remove the cover (and presumably the packing) and tack weld the Quiet Core into the core of the unrestricted can. Of course, then ya gotta put it back together, too.

Good news for you LD Rally guys, and for the rest of us wanting to keep the bike a little less noisy. Seems my farkle costs have just gone up, since I will be contacting Partmonster to go ahead on the Muzzy system and matching PCIII.

And this thread has been another example of what is RIGHT about this place -- folks helping one another get the good stuff. Thanks again to Dale, Partmonster and Muzzys.

Rich

(savin' cats for CARB inspection days)

I guess I'm going to mount the Muzzy 4-2-1 with all the rest of the scheduled farkles. I ordered the exhaust gaskets from Mike at University Motors -- usual situation with them: extremely friendly and helpful.

Then I called Muzzys and this time I talked to Kurt Dorn (not Dave as before -- see a couple posts above here). Unlike what Dave told me, Kurt tells me installation requires NO welding, that an entirely new steel inner core is provided, that after I unpack it, I take the old core out and the new one fits over 4 prongs (or something like that). And **** me for being so stupid as to have suggested I was ordering something like Dave described. The quoted price was different from what Dave told me earlier, too: $39.95 now. Can't complain about a lower price, but this was a different experience than the immediately prior call to Mike at University Motors. :rolleyes:

Anyway, looks like I'm getting the quiet core sooner or later, since he couldn't verify that they had the proper one to work on (presumably to install the quiet core?). If not, it'll add 20 days to the order time -- so I guess I'll have it within a month. No confirmation number, no e-mail notification, way too difficult to get a different shipping address than the billing address on a credit card. Left me with a conclusion:

IF the collector pipe touches down, I'm going to find someone local to modify it or make me a new one that doesn't touch down, rather than try to get it addressed through Muzzy. Just not the kind of vibe of a vendor/fabricator that gives a shit about customer relations. I've had a couple different cans apart, though not a Muzzy, so this isn't like I have NO idea what the hell he's talking about -- it was as if he had better things to do than answer the phone. Weird, but I apparently have the quiet core coming. Night and day difference from talking to Micron about their system on my XX last year. :huh:

I installed the full Muzzy on my '05. I re-used the gaskets for the header (big rings of something that looks like a brass alloy) and no other gaskets are required.

I ordered the quiet core and received a perforated pipe with packing wrapped around it that is exactly the same as what was already in my muffler. I didn't look carefully enough at the end where the core was attached to see if it is welded. I have the round aluminum muffler which uses rivets to hold it together.

Please let us know what the 'quiet core' looks like when you get yours. Perhaps they sent me the wrong part.

I installed the full Muzzy on my '05. I re-used the gaskets for the header (big rings of something that looks like a brass alloy) and no other gaskets are required.
I ordered the quiet core and received a perforated pipe with packing wrapped around it that is exactly the same as what was already in my muffler. I didn't look carefully enough at the end where the core was attached to see if it is welded. I have the round aluminum muffler which uses rivets to hold it together.

Please let us know what the 'quiet core' looks like when you get yours. Perhaps they sent me the wrong part.
Are these guys (Muzzy) on drugs? It seems they have put some significant thought into their product initially (one of the few with a full FJR system) but then the whole thing goes to shit when they are called on to send the right part, quote a price, give a refund, modify something, etc... i.e., when asked to use some common sense.

Weird.

Bill

I think Muzzy knows that they have a "pig in a poke" w/ their system for the FJR. From my dealings w/ them, it seems like they are sick of dealing w/ the FJR. I got comments like"You know this isn't a sportbike" and "parts touching is part of performance riding". Yeah...OK...

It's a shame that their system is flawed because the performance increase is very desireable. I'm just not willing to have to significantly modify a $750.00 exhaust system to make it safe. That's their job IMHO...

Yeah, I know -- I ordered 8, and 4 for the Blackbird while I was at it. I put in new gaskets when I change out the headers. This way I have a fresh set for both bikes. (XX already has 4-2-1 with OEM header in storage, and FJR soon to be the same.)

The way it's been described to me is that you need to look into the core from the back, and the quiet core has a restrictor that is a smaller diameter than the rest of the core (and maybe that for half of the length of it or so, the quiet core assembly has some sort of cone leading to or from that restrictor). I'd love to see a picture of both cores, but it's a pain in the ass to get any info out of Muzzy sales. When mine finally arrives, I'll take the can apart and photograph the whole mess. Unfortunately, that may be as long as a month away.

I think Muzzy knows that they have a "pig in a poke" w/ their system for the FJR. From my dealings w/ them, it seems like they are sick of dealing w/ the FJR. I got comments like"You know this isn't a sportbike" and "parts touching is part of performance riding". Yeah...OK...
It's a shame that their system is flawed because the performance increase is very desireable. I'm just not willing to have to significantly modify a $750.00 exhaust system to make it safe. That's their job IMHO...
I hear ya on ALL of that. Given their attitude, and the discussion here, though, I've pretty much decided that the fastest way to a fix, with the least headaches and maybe even the cheapest route at the end of the day (certainly if I'm including the cost of my time) is to see if it drags for me with the suspension raised a bit and dialed as best as possible, and then have someone competent fix the dragging center pipe once and for all. If I'd bought directly from Muzzy, I'd be a lot more likely to send it back like you did.