Final drive oil change question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VTGuy

Reaction score
Returned from a track day event in NH this week. (FZ8) Then got a call that someone i met over there who potentially wants me to ride from here in eastern NY to SD with him starting July 24. While i haven't fully committed to this YET.. I decided to get the FJR(2004) ready to roll in the event I DO decide to do it.

While the final drive oil had been changed within the last 2000-3000 miles I wanted to do it again. Good thing i checked it. Found some slippage around the top plug. When I dumped the oil, the drain plug magnet appeared to have trapped more than the usual amount of particle material. I cleaned the plug and i changed the oil, then went on a 50 mile round trip to get motor oil. When i returned,, i dropped the final oil again. And found only a few additional particles. So.. refilled the final drive with fresh oil and then moved to change engine oil and filter. Used Yamaha Drive Shaft Oil.

Question: for a bike with 17K. is it unusual to see particles on the drain plug? And, assuming the negative conditions that "may" have existed have been corrected. Would it be safe to now assume (aside from from some premature wear and tear), that the bike would be fine for a 5000 mile trip to SD and back? At least in regard to final drive?

During initial miles, you'll get more particles on there than you will later on. Was it ever abused? With only 17k on a 2004, I'm doubting it.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with your FD. Just go ride the thing.

I don't recall ever seeing anything on my drain plug that I could discern individual particles. To me it looks more like mud.

When you say you found some "slippage around the top plug" does that mean the bolt was loose? Or that you had some seepage of oil from there?

Some folks need to read and understand this thread...so we don't have multiplication of threads.

Closing duplicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.