Final Drive Oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
This is probably destined for the NEPT, but here it goes...

I've got 7,500 miles on a Gen I FJR and bought it with 2,300 on it. I assumed the original owner had serviced it correctly, but since I do not know, I'm gonna service it before my trip this weekend.

Read several of the threads here about Yama-lube vs. Mobil 1 vs. ...

At $35 per Qt, Yama lube is outrageously priced when compared to Mobil 1 Synth. 75-90W (which is recommended by the Gen I Bin-O-Fact) @ $7.00 a Qt.

I guess my question is, are there any here that have experienced problems with Mobil 1 Gear oil?

Nope.

But you can get the Yammie whale jizz for much cheaper from one of the online discount vendors. Oh, and at a 16,000 mile change interval, how much is it really costing you? A mere drop in the bucket compared to what 16k miles of gas costs these days.

Now, off to NEPRT.............

Last edited by a moderator:
I've run the Mobil 1 in mine for 23K miles, and in my V-Max for 26k before that. Never had a single problem.

Only one person I recall who said they had an issue, and who knows if that had anything to do with the oil.

clicky

Mobil all the way for me.

I got mine from the yamaha dealer for free. Since the ownser's manual and the shop manual both specify a yamaha part number only (08 manual), they are required to provide if free of charge. Therefore, i am using the Yamaha oil. I can't imagine that you will have any problems with any quality gear oil really.

were there any magic words? did you just go in and say " may i please have some rear diff fluid" and they gave it to you? I am impressed. I have to try it.

Since the ownser's manual and the shop manual both specify a yamaha part number only (08 manual), they are required to provide if free of charge.
Huh?

Is this like some internet rumor...or you go in with an empty cup and they fill it with free oil?

Please tell me it's Friday.

So, uhhh....since the Yamaha manual specifies only Yammie part numbers for uhh....well, for just about everyfuckingthing, I'm off to my dealer first thing in the morning for uhhh...well, for everyfuckingthing.

Sweet. Thanks for the insight. Who knew?

Hahahahahaha!!!

Yes Sir my service manual shows a lot of them (free) part numbers too!!

What a deal! Thanks for letting us all know....

:wacko:

WW

Since the ownser's manual and the shop manual both specify a yamaha part number only (08 manual), they are required to provide if free of charge.
Huh?

Is this like some internet rumor...or you go in with an empty cup and they fill it with free oil?
Dude, like he's from Freeville, NY, man. Things are like, free, in Freeville, man.

I got mine from the yamaha dealer for free. Since the ownser's manual and the shop manual both specify a yamaha part number only (08 manual), they are required to provide if free of charge. Therefore, i am using the Yamaha oil. I can't imagine that you will have any problems with any quality gear oil really.

I'll have what he's smokin. :smokin:

Actually, I think he is right. This is part of the Magnuson-Moss Act. If a general replacement part is not specified, ei 80W-90 GL-5 for the rear differential fluid, and the only place to get the required part is from a manufacturer's dealer, then the manufacturer must supply it for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there are lots of parts number in the manual. The difference is that there is no other part to be used according to the documentation(or Yamaha). Nothing. No specs at all. All of the other things have equivalents. Yamaha says that part number only. It is also the law. Not that I think it matters. I imagine they really gave it to me just so I would take it and leave.

So let me get this straight.

If a general replacement part, say the final drive fluid, is not specified in either the parts, service or owners manual, then the manufacture must offer it free of charge? Is this part of the Magnuson-Moss Act?

Does the parts, service or owners manual for a 2003-2005 FJR have a general replacement part for the final drive fluid?

Yes it is! I have really never heard of anyone honoring it. My 08 service manual and owner's manuals both specify a part number only. There are no substitutes. I called Yamaha USA and got an engineer (from the dealer's store). I asked her if the standard Yamaha shaft drive oil was a suitable replacement. She said no. Only use the Yamaha part number. Like I said though, they probably just gave it to me so I would just go away. But they did give it to me!

731f7182105515b0487fc236a5b22042.jpg

<snip>...The difference is that there is no other part to be used according to the documentation(or Yamaha). Nothing. No specs at all. All of the other things have equivalents.
That's because -- there are no equivalents! The MamaYama "whale jizz" special final drive lube for the FJR is a 'secret formula' that no-one else knows about..... :blink: :huh: :unsure:

The MamaYama "whale jizz" special final drive lube for the FJR is a 'secret formula' that no-one else knows about..... :blink: :huh: :unsure:
:ph34r: Shhhh.. don't tell anyone, but the secret formula whale jizz is the same one they use for the "special sauce" on a Big Mac, and is a liquified version of the "12 herbs and spices" the Colonel uses... it's also a close cousin to the formula for "New Coke"... :ph34r: