Finished wilbers install and went for test ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slapnpop

Rest in Peace our Forum Founder
Reaction score
I couldn't think of anything better to do with a paid day off from work!

I finished out the front spring install and fluid change this morning, and went for my first test ride with the new wilbers from the recent group buy.

I got a model 640 w/ preload adjuster and front springs. My rear came with the 120 spring, and the wilbers paperwork recommended 7.5 wt fork oil with 80mm airspace.

I followed their recommendations verbatim, and before I got out of the driveway I ended up increasing the damping on the front considerably. I'm pretty sure this was to adjust for the lighter oil now in the forks, but it was quite bouncy with my original settings.

After about 10 minutes on backroads, I couldn't quite put my finger on the odd sensation I was having. While I was eating lunch a the little bbq joint I picked as my destination, I realized what it was. I had't really noticed anything suspension wise on the ride out, and at first I was a little disappointed. Then I remembered what that same ride was like with the stock suspension, and all the bumps and jars bad pavement, and figured out what I couldn't put my finger on.

It's like hearing silence all of a sudden, and it seeming odd. The lack of anything upsetting the ride made the shocks feel bland, but I realized that's exactly what I want! On the ride back I paid more attention to that sensation, and was very pleased with the outcome. The bike is a lot smoother and more enjoyable to ride. I have yet to go up into the twisties and play, as they're still pretty salt-encrusted right now.

Some notes on the install:

When I removed the rear shock, I also took out the large black bracket that holds the preload switch in place. I couldn't see any other use for it being in there, so what's a little more weight reduction, right? Does this thing serve any other purpose I overlooked?

When I removed/reinstalled the fork tubes, I didn't have to remove my horns, or any plastic other than front fender. Check if your tools fit, and you may be able to save a lot of time. If I had to do it again, I could probably repeat the spring/oil change in about 3 hours from scratch.

Thanks to Warchild, Klaus, and the sweet german machinists who made my shock!

Last edited by a moderator:
SkooterG and I are about to head to Twowheelnut's place to install the front springs. He's already informed us to bring our own oil as 7.5w is hard to find near him. How many quarts would you recommend taking per bike? Would two quarts (each) be enough to get the job done?

Two quarts was enough to fill with forks with a little extra. If you plan to flush and then re-fill, I'd bring 3 per bike to have extra.

We can pick-up some tranny fluid (that sounds really bad... :blink: ) across the street for the flush... should be cheaper than the fork oil. I have plenty of brake fluid... Valvoline Syn 3/4.

When I removed the rear shock, I also took out the large black bracket that holds the preload switch in place. I couldn't see any other use for it being in there, so what's a little more weight reduction, right? Does this thing serve any other purpose I overlooked?
Put it back on and skip the next couple of lunches at MickyD's... :D That's an issue that you mail wanna PM WC on. IIRC, he had some very valid reasons for leaving it on, structurally speaking.

I got a model 640 w/ preload adjuster and front springs.  My rear came with the 120 spring, and the wilbers paperwork recommended 7.5 wt fork oil with 80mm airspace.
When I got my 640/fork springs last year for my 03, I thought that they suggested 100mm of airspace for my new fork springs. I wonder why they suggested 80mm to you. Is this air space some function of tuning based on wt/riding stye/FJR model?

Put it back on and skip the next couple of lunches at MickyD's... :D That's an issue that you mail wanna PM WC on. IIRC, he had some very valid reasons for leaving it on, structurally speaking.
+1

Don't recall all the details either, but I believe this was supposed to stay for the aforementioned structural reasons.

I also think I recall that the conventional wisdom was to have 100mm of airspace for in the forks. Some thought this to be very critical IIRC.

Glad you are enjoying your latest farkles!

I dug out my Wilber's front springs paperwork from the 1st group buy. Sure enough, 100mm of airspace.

Odd. You might want to call Klaus Slap.

80 or 100mm? I got nothing in the way of instructions, set up specs, 0. Either they think I already know it all, or???????????? I set it at 100 in any case, and managed to get everything together, but it makes one wonder........... <_< I'm sure jestal has the answer.........

radman,

Reducing the 100mm airspace to 80mm will give a more rapid rate-of-rise to the front fork to prevent bottoming out. That compensates for extra weight or rough roads without stiffening the overall ride with heavier oil.

dobias <_<

radman,
Reducing the 100mm airspace to 80mm will give a more rapid rate-of-rise to the front fork to prevent bottoming out. That compensates for extra weight or rough roads without stiffening the overall ride with heavier oil.

dobias <_<
I understand all that. I haven't had a bottoming problem in the past, don't anticipate one in the future. I do know that too tight a headspace can have the same effect as overfilled airforks-blown seals. My comment was more on the fact that I recieved nothing from Wilburs concerning recommended settings, the specs on my components, nothing.

radman,

dobias <_<
I understand all that. I haven't had a bottoming problem in the past, don't anticipate one in the future. I do know that too tight a headspace can have the same effect as overfilled airforks-blown seals. My comment was more on the fact that I recieved nothing from Wilburs concerning recommended settings, the specs on my components, nothing.
Rad, we all received hand written specs for shock and fork settings. Ring up Klaus - he may have forgot to pack them in his haste to get them out to a nagging customer. :p

radman,

dobias <_<
Rad, we all received hand written specs for shock and fork settings. Ring up Klaus - he may have forgot to pack them in his haste to get them out to a [SIZE=14pt]nagging customer[/SIZE]. :p
:haha:

:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

[SIZE=7pt]God only knows what kind of fubar'd Dale Walker headers he will get![/SIZE]

Was there an instruction bit on the changing front fork springs out...

I saw the Wilburs Shocks, and I can do that easy... just wondering

if I should do the front forks....

thanks

Warp

That was EXACTLY what delighted me about the Wilbers.

All the bone-jarring, spine-pranging bumps vanished, but the suspension still felt taut. I didn't feel at all disconnected from the road, just not gritting my teeth and hanging on for dear life when the road did its "Broken Springs Boulevard" act.

It's amazing--the ride is firm, almost hard, but the bumps vanish!