Finished wilbers install and went for test ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
80 or 100mm? I got nothing in the way of instructions, set up specs, 0. Either they think I already know it all, or???????????? I set it at 100 in any case, and managed to get everything together, but it makes one wonder........... <_< I'm sure jestal has the answer.........
There should have been a little baggie with the install instructions/paperwork and such. The settings for the fork were written by hand on the front page of thier install instructions.

I'm not concerned about the 80mm airspace. The 2001 service manual (same forks as a stock 03) calls for 79mm stock. If anything, I might go to a higher viscosity fork oil. The 7.5 seemed bouncy like I said before, and I can to crank down the damping.

I used Bel-ray
Yeah, went looking for 7.5w fork oil. All I found was 7w from Belray. That's what I bought. Thought about mixing 7w and 10w together 50/50 to achieve something like 8.5w. Still giving it some thought.

On another note though, I did install the shock and me and the wife went for a 150 mi. ride. What a difference! Made 2 adjustments, 1 being 1 more click on the preload and 1 more added rebound damping adj. I've only had experience with Ohlins before, but this seems to be a very nice piece! I knew the old one was shot, but damn! It's been transformed! lol Wanted to go alone, but after spending $800 she said I'd best be taking her along! lol Mucho better! Before with both onboard, it wallowed through curves. Now it rails through! Very pleased with the shock so far. We'll see what the fork springs do now! BTW the shock is a 640 with remote preload adj. and ride hieght.

When you say 7.5 weight oil, what brand? Wide variation in viscosity from brand to brand. Useful link for discussion of viscosities.fork oil
Klunkshift, welcome aboard! Although that article you linked made my head hurt. Would appear to be a big difference among fork oil brands regarding viscosity, specially Bel Ray.

Anybody know if Klaus has mentioned a favorite brand of fork oil, or what brand is used in the shock?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wilbers has their own brand, no doubt thats whats in the shock, and whats reccomended for the forks. I used Maxima 125/150 7w. Appears, according to that chart in this latest of complicated oil threads to be gone thru, to be right where it should be, and what I expected and wanted, a fairly light oil.

When  you say 7.5 weight oil, what brand? Wide variation in viscosity from brand to brand. Useful link for discussion of viscosities.
fork oil
Went to the chart on that site and did a comparison. Yamaha 01 is what is stock in your bike. Here's what I saw:

Yamaha 01 fork oil........@ 40c = 15.60...........@ 100c = 3.45 viscosity

BelRay 7w fork oil.........@ 40c = 29.00...........@ 100c = 5.20 viscosity

Your bike' forks will never see 100c (212 F degrees)! A racebike maybe, and I mean maybe, or a dirtbike, but not a streetbike. That's why suspensions go away in racing, because of the heat in the oil. By the chart in that link the Belray is not quite double that of the Yamaha 01 oil. So at 40c (104F) it still has quite a ways to go. I would expect somewhere around 120F-130F would be operating temp. Maybe lower? The viscosity will probably settle in at around 7-10w viscosity once warmed up on the street. Never heard of anyone burning their selves on forks before though. Maybe I'm wrong here and making it too simplistic? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :blink:

Silkolene 2 1/2w is equivalent to Yamaha's #01 that is rated as 10w. I had contacted Wilbers directly through a German friend (Klaus didn't know) about the Wilbers oil viscosities. All wilbers would say is, "buy Wilbers fork oil & you'll be happy."

I started with Silkolene 10w & it was too heavy for me. I'm using the Silkolene 2 1/2w oil & I'm satisfied with the performance & range of adjustment with it.

dobias <_<

Everytime I go to pg.2 I get error and not permitted. Anyone else getting this? Just wanted to see if a reply would get through.

Edit: Well that worked! Don't want to have to add a reply everytime I want to view this topic though!

For what its worth about airspace, my Wilbers came today and the recommendation for the front forks was 7.5 wt and 90mm of airspace. The shock spring was a 59/59-115-150. I had requested a 25mm dynamic sag with 240 pound rider and no preload -- and after talking for a ride it appears that is what I got. Its actually a bit more spring than I need with the bags off but springs only get weaker with use and I wanted to error a bit on the high side.

Anyway, back to the airspace, it appears that Wilbers is recommending less airspace for heavier loads.

I got a call from Klaus today and took the opportunity to get a little more educated about Wilbers shocks. My 640 model, with remote preload, came with 12 clicks of rebound and 16mm of preload. The rebound was pretty easy to figure out, the red knob on the bottom of the shock was on the 12th click. However, Klaus said that it is actually a rebound/compression adjustment which makes sense because the rebound and compression should increase/decrease together.

The 16mm of preload was a factory setting based on my weight and spring. The remote preload is an addition to the factory preload. The factory preload can be adjusted by hand (and spanner wrench) but it requires the removal of the shock to do it. That might be an option for anyone who feels their spring is too stiff with no preload or too soft with a full preload.

I started with Silkolene 10w & it was too heavy for me. I'm using the Silkolene 2 1/2w oil & I'm satisfied with the performance & range of adjustment with it.
+1 on the Silkolene
OK guys...where can I get this Silkolene?? :huh: I live in Vermont so some things are a little hard to find. Or would Yamaha oil work as well? Or Belray? TIA

Tom

+1 on the Silkolene
OK guys...where can I get this Silkolene?? :huh: I live in Vermont so some things are a little hard to find. Or would Yamaha oil work as well? Or Belray? TIA

Tom
University Motors has it.