First delivered in North America !!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4-5mph slower with better gearing?
Sucks if Yamaha is going backwards. That would be reminiscent of the '02+ VFR 800! Ouch. I've also heard a 30lb weight gain. On the other hand, 4-5 slower translates to 151-152mph top speed - probably never notice! IMO top speed is less of a question than 1) roll-on numbers 2) quarter mile times. If those show a slip, that'd be bad...

Dear Yamaha, continue to head down the "touring" side of the equation & my next bike won't be another FJR. Forced to have ABS, linked brakes, heavier bike, slower bike, longer wheel-base...man, I must be cranky today, I think I just talked myself out of an '06!! :beee:

4-5mph slower with better gearing?
Sucks if Yamaha is going backwards. That would be reminiscent of the '02+ VFR 800! Ouch. I've also heard a 30lb weight gain. On the other hand, 4-5 slower translates to 151-152mph top speed - probably never notice! IMO top speed is less of a question than 1) roll-on numbers 2) quarter mile times. If those show a slip, that'd be bad...
I think acceleration (0-60 and 1/4 mile) has to be slower. The bike gained 30 pounds, and they increased the final drive gearing 5-6% in order to reduce the buzz cruising at 70mph in 5th.

I think a better solution would be to go to a lower than 1st generation gearing on 1-5 and add an overdrive. One of my complaints (and boy do I wish I posted this somewhere while Yamaha was gathering customer feedback for the '06) was that 1st is too tall for creaping along at idle in gridlock. My other bikes have a much lower first gear, and they are a lot easier to ride at very low speeds because I rarely have to slip the clutch.

I think the original decision to go with a 5-speed tranny was all about cost versus good 0-60 numbers. The FJR is plenty powerful to deal with the tall 1st gear. Gearing that tall allows blasting to 61mph without a shift. This gives great 0-60 times, and as a result sells more motorcycles. If Yamaha went with a more practical 1st, a shift would be needed before 60, and the performance figures would suffer.

Long story short, my wants:

6 speed tranny with lower 1-5 gearing and O/D

Better alternator

More horsepower

Higher redline

I really liked the idea above about a touring trunk that mounts on the rear seat.

Factory throttle lock or cruise control

Better on-the-fly adjustability of heat management louvers than on the '06 (the '06 seems to require a tool to change the aperature of the side vents)

Better small-input throttle/FI response (Honda ST1300 wins here)

More color choices

NO PDP!

MUCH BETTER GROUND CLEARANCE - PEGS SCRAPE WAY EARLY

Battery moved to much lower position than current location

Bags that can be set to allow keyless opening via pushbutton or keyed opening (I hate having to shut the bike down to open the case when I'm on a trip)

Lastly - complete invincibility with respect to deer

Just remember..Yamaha didn't totally listen...02 guys wanted helmet locks...did they appear in 03, no, 04, no, 05, no, anything even to retrofit, no,..... :angry: soooo.... unless it fits in their (read Yamaha) scheme of the way things should be on the FJR you can forget about it!!!! :p ..sorry if the truth hurts... :blink:

Ari, this bike was designed for the EU market. They don't give a rats ass about 0-60 times here. That said, we too have been asking for a 6th gear, even if it was just a OD.

Ari, this bike was designed for the EU market. They don't give a rats ass about 0-60 times here. That said, we too have been asking for a 6th gear, even if it was just a OD.
I still don't understand why you guys want to shift 1 more time to get to the same final overdrive ratio we have now. IF this bike had a narrow HP/torque curve like the Connie, I could agree with the need for 6 speeds. But 6 speeds for the sake of saying, "My bike has a 6 speed gearbox!" I don't get it?!?!?!

I still don't understand why you guys want to shift 1 more time to get to the same final overdrive ratio we have now. 
That may be because that's not what I want. I want a taller top gear.

IF this bike had a narrow HP/torque curve like the Connie, I could agree with the need for 6 speeds.  But 6 speeds for the sake of saying, "My bike has a 6 speed gearbox!"  I don't get it?!?!?!
Not for the sake of saying "My bike has a 6 speed gearbox". Read the post. A 6 speed gearbox would allow a shorter 1st gear, which I think the bike could use to make it a better bike for heavy traffic. At idle, an '03-'05 FJR is rolling at a little over 7mph in first gear. That's too fast for gridlock. '06 FJRs will be rolling 5-6% faster than that.

If you want a higher ratio gear at take-off and don't need the 5-6% on the top end then simply change the rear sprocket to add 1-2 teeth.

Not for the sake of saying "My bike has a 6 speed gearbox". Read the post. A 6 speed gearbox would allow a shorter 1st gear, which I think the bike could use to make it a better bike for heavy traffic. At idle, an '03-'05 FJR is rolling at a little over 7mph in first gear. That's too fast for gridlock. '06 FJRs will be rolling 5-6% faster than that.
You're right, I skipped over that paragraph. I forget that only we in CA can "lane share", so even in bumper to bumper traffic we can keep moving. Or, at least the HOV lanes move a little better.

HEY Ari! Howzit hangin? Getting some fresh air by taking a break from Usenet?

MM: At least Texas has the "Developed Shoulder" rule. Came in handy today when traffic started stacking up.

Last edited by a moderator:
MM: At least Texas has the "Developed Shoulder" rule. Came in handy today when traffic started stacking up.
Bounce, explain what the "Developed Shoulder Rule" is in Texas. Does the shoulder have to be paved, or a certain width...what are the rules? :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Speaking of deliveries in north AMERICA....thanks to my dealers' efforts my '06 was deliverd Friday March 31. Got to sit on her Friday night. They were willing to stay and get her ready to roll yet Friday night, but I thanked them and said Saturday was fine. It was: a 82 mile "test" ride yesterday afternoon. Yup....I (and my new hip) are liking this '06 FJR. Frankly I don't care much @ her 1/4 mile time etc: initial impression is that she is a VERY enjoyable big motorcycle and more than fast enough. Handling and ride are noticeably better with factory settings than on my '03 FJR.

One happy FJR owner, again! DFO :D

[SIZE=14pt]Congratulations[/SIZE]!!!! You are the first known, semi-official waiter to have recieved their '06 FJR. Now let's read a more detailed account to make the rest of the waiters green with envy! :D